Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Good van for the money
By N8ECH

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this '05 Linen Gold Pearl SXT to replace my wife's aging '97 Grand Caravan. It was still running strong at 133k, but since we use her van for family trips it was time. Kudos to DC on the Stow and Go. Our '05 was a factory exec car and came with 13k on it. Pretty well loaded except for sunroof and leather which we did not want. Love the power of the 3.8 motor, but the '97's 3.3 gave us 25 vs.22 mpg hwy. Love the power rear door, but the power side doors seem like overkill. Also, '05 was last year for 7/70 power train warranty which is a good thing and influenced the purchase. Pretty darned good for the price. $19k tax and title out the door.

Stow and Go, 7/70 powertrain warranty

Stay Away
By Disgruntled

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The worst vehicle I have ever owned. Been to the Dodge service department 18 times in the past 18 months. 40,000 miles and on 4th set of front brake rotors. Dealer cannot figure our why brakes wear out so quickly and told us that the brake parts are made softer so they don't squeal. Whatever! Have motorized side and rear doors. All motors have been replaced at least once. I purchased the largest extended warranty and already used it 3 times in 4000 miles. Can't wait to get rid of this one and will never purchase another Chrysler product again. I was hoping the merger with Mercedes would increase quality, but that's not the case. Dodge has great looking cars, but can't overcome poor build quality.

DVD entertainment system. Stow-n-go seats. Interior room

Better factory tires. Better brake components. Better overall workmanship

Lemon Law
By family of five

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Dodge Grand Caravan in 11/04. We loved all of the features, especially the 6 disc DVD and stow n go. After the first year of ownership, we have had nothing but problems! Chrysler is purchasing our van back because of the lemon laws. We had so many things replaced (tie rods, sway bars, seats(cable broke), leak in the AC and AC replaced due to the recall. We are now looking at Sienna. It may cost us more but at least I won't spend a lot of time at the service center.

Stow and Go, DVD player

Better cup holders, better reliability

Solid and useful
By Redvan

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove it for one year. Drove it in high heat. Good A/C. It can haul a lot of material with ease. It is a heavy duty vehicle. I always see the Toyota Sienna riding very low in back with a few back seat passengers. I do not think Honda people ever do work with their vans. I just do not see the point of a van if you can't haul stuff. The gas mileage is fair. 19/20 all around 23 on the freeway with A/C and going 70 plus. Good car so far

Can haul very heavy objects

Better mileage

Grand Caravan's Credit
By Mark

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Driving the Grand Caravan is great, but the traction of the minivan is not that good. Owning is great. The stow n go seating is very helpful. We moved 3 times and the stow n go seating helped a lot. Also, when we take trips we have a lot of space to accomodate a lot of our things. We even have left over space! The 2nd and 3rd row seats aren't that comfortable for adults, but if children are stitting they shouldn't complain.

My favorite feature of the Grand Caravan would hav to be the stow n go seating. Because of all the seating configurations and all the added space you wouldn't find in a Toyota Sienna or a Kia Sodona.

I like how the Grand Caravan is right now but I wish the 2nd row seats would be more comfortable.