Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Electrical problems
By rosenjohn

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical problems has caused this car to be in the dealers garage 10 or 12 times since purchase. Most common is right rear wheel ABS speed sensor which has been replaced 3 times. Several other 'check engine' have resulted in computer program upgrades. We like the car but do not feel it is reliable.

My Grand Caravan is crappy
By mchivers

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Many, many, many little problems. Automatic doors not working, burnt out taillight, automatic doorlocks not working, stuck headrest, brakes had to be replaced at 17,000 miles, random noises, AC blower not working, driver side electric window not working. We had a '96 before, drove the wheels off of it and had no problems. Someone at the factory must have been drunk when this lemon rolled out the door.

All the features I bought it for are very convenient when they work

Dodge needs to fire their quality control department.

Nice features, but engine and tranny bad
By Brian

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The visible parts of the car are great. The body is good, the interior fit and finish is good, the "Stow 'n Go" is great, the engine is plenty powerful. I like the car for its features. Mechanically, I am extremely disappointed. There is a constant rubbing sound coming out of the front- left upper strut mount over even little bumps, the engine uses about 3.5 quarts of oil between oil changes (3000 miles), the transmission clunks (and the car jumps) when down-shifting when you take your foot off the gas. I have reported these issues numerous times, but the "factory rep" keeps telling me that they are within design specs and won't fix it. Give me a break! No more Dodges for me!

Stow 'n' Go. Green LED in overhead console illuminates floor area at night. Nice ride. Nice Stereo (I have the Infinity), Steering wheel controls (Cruise and Stereo) are easy to use.

The problems that I am having with mine are listed in numerous TSBs, but they are for the "Caravan", not the "Grand Caravan". They are for the same engine and transmission, so why don't they count. I have two 2005 Dodge vehicles and they both have problems. They need to get their act together!

Not so sure yet
By not sure yet

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We have two sets of twins and the stow and go and power doors have been wonderful for us. However it is a necessity in our lives for reliability. Recently the van has been making noises and we decided to use our $3,000 extendend warranty and found that it has a $100.00 deductible each time you use it. It would have been nice to know that beforehand, and with all the noices it is making I am a little worried that the steering is going out. My friend has a Kia Sedona and loves it and it has lasted a long time with no repair needed, probably a better fit than the Dodge. I guess the old saying you get what you pay for rings true here.

Stow and go and power doors

The mechanical reliability and extended warranty

Got lucky I guess - so far
By Trevorvw

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this one new after owning an '01 Honda Odyssey that demolished 3 transmissions in 2 years. It is every bit as quick as the Honda was, gets decent mileage, hasn't broken down ever, the seats are more comfortable, and the stow and go is a marvel. We're pushing about 16000 miles on it now and if it's like the rest of the complaints out there - then we'll see - but it does have a 7/70 warranty and Honda is certainly no better. Honda power doors would not open quick if power doors not functioning - or ever. Dodge completely worked around this issue.

Stow and go. DVD player. Nice acceleration. Easy open side doors w/o power assist

Not much. I'm happy with it.