1998 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
My 1st 98 was better than the 2nd 98 YES I bought a 2nd one for my dogs and this one east money like a pig.
By pianomann on 06/23/11 03:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I have been pumping $300-500 a month in repairs and replacement parts since Christmas Eve 2010,,,it has 98 800 it us going to get paid off in 1 lump hopefully and it is going to another Charity supporter I have HAD IT with Chrysler and wouldnt take another 1 if it was FREE !!

Contented
By Happy on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

After buying my Caravan in 03 I did have to rebuild the starter solenoid, but other than that I've had regular maintenance done on it, which of course is expected. New tires, brakes, radiator and transmission flushes filters etc. The only unexpected problem was with the serpentine belt, but I think the mechanic may have been the problem when I had to get a second one 14 mos. later. At that time I had to replace the tensioner which may have been the cause of the second serpentine. I've been very happy with this car. No car is going to be problem free if you don't do regular maintenance. And I'm still driving it and going to pass it on to my daughter.

1998 Dodge Caravan 4cylinder
By Marky Mark on 04/25/10 17:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this used caravan in 2000 because I started a family of 4. I brought the price down to our price range which was practically a steal. Only 5,000 miles used. A lot of space inside roomy. Rides well. Only drive 5 to 6 miles a day, full tank of gas last me a month. Some mechanical problems, tires would tread a bit faster than usual, AC needed freon in 3 yrs, leaks oil had it check out and fixed new head gasket, oil pan gasket still leaks to this day. So I just add a qt. of oil every a month. Transmission was slipping at 40,000 miles had it serviced. I have 75,000 miles on it to this day. The quality of this van is not to good, things breaks down sooner than you would think.

Drive in comfort
By docdoc on 01/30/10 12:36 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my Caravan new and after 12 years it's still going strong. I keep hearing about tranny problems, but have really had no issues with the exception of an occasional hard downshift. Of course, I have had it serviced as recommended. With the exception of replacing the water pump after 11 years, the car has exceeded my expectations. It's quite comfortable. I tried the new stow & go at the dealer and very much prefer my captain chairs. Flex fuel feature in 1997 was ahead of its time.

A great vehicle
By kctoolguy on 06/22/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

The best vehicle I have ever owned. The 4 cylinder engine has been flawless, mileage could be better, 22 city 28 on long hwy trips, transmission lasted until 150K, doesn't burn oil at 212K, still has original rear brakes fronts last about 25K with cheap pads, 40K with ceramic pads, second set of tires (Michelin) lasted over 100K, good (Bosch) plugs last 30 to 40K, timing belts last 130K+. I would buy another one.

very good van
By Buddy5960 on 06/10/09 13:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used and i have had very minimal trouble with it.Very good van.

Great until 100,000 miles
By Deb on 06/10/09 06:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought my van from a Dodge dealer used in 2001 with about 40,000 miles on the engine. Overall was a great vehicle, minimum break downs, did have problem keeping brakes, both time replaced still under warranty. Lucky me. Air conditioning also had to be repaired. At 106,000 miles on Christmas eve 2008 we lost our transmission on interstate 95, fully loaded with Christmas tree and gifts, on our way to my sisters in Boston. 70 miles from home, with my 12 year old daughter, and 10 below zero. Was not fun experience. $2600 to replace the transmission with a factory rebuilt engine. We decided to get out while the getting was good before this became a money pit. And purchased a new car.

Comfortable transportation
By smoke2345 on 06/01/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I've had my minivan for eleven years and had only major issue I have had is to replace the starter after seven years. I hear a lot about bad transmissions in these vehicles, but I have not had a problem with mine. Possibly because I have had it serviced when I was supposed to. Overall, it's been very reliable.

one of the reasons Chrysler is going bye
By pedro on 05/12/09 13:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

My wife bought this thing,even though I objected. I wanted her to get an Odyssey. but she told me "I'm paying for it I pick" Good thing she used better judgment when picking a husband. This thing gets broken, fixed, and then breaks again. It's not the mechanic's fault cause he also works on my accord and that one stays fixed. This thing is made to be have a usable life of 4 years and that's it. Junk it or sell it to your worst enemy. Biggest piece of crap you could buy. You wonder how American car makers got the reputation they got.This is a prime example.

Night mare
By MA on 03/31/09 03:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This is the worst I could have ever owned. I have tried my best to spread the word to my friends about not to buy Dodge caravan or their products. Bought it used, computer went out, Dealer did not know the problem, so he replaced fuel pump, car wont start again, then they replaced computer, total cost about 1500$, then starter, then key console, then brakes, then power windows died, other than those, tiny problems like brake light, wiper not operating keep cropping up.Interior is cheap, absolutely scary to go out on highway due to reliability. Beware of the computer. It acts weird on my van.