Used 1999 Chevrolet Tracker Base w/Soft Top SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

A lot of fun
By steadc

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I bought my Tracker for my first car and I learned how to drive manual on it. It's so much fun to drive and I get pretty good gas mileage. The only thing that's had to be replaced is the clutch and soon to be the tires and top.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and soft top.

Suggested Improvements

A better sounding engine would be nice, mine reminds me of a toy car. :]

Never broke down in 8 years
By KennyS

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

This car has never broken down once since December 1999 with only 400 miles to start with. I changed the oil religiously and never drove crazy. I've recently had the brake pads changed for the first time in 8 years. I'll be driving this car over 2,000 miles from TX to WA so I'll really be testing it now. The exterior black plastic runner along the driver's side door has come unglued and is about the only noticable defect. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I have the only Tracker that was built to last.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, compact size made it easy to park almost anywhere. Also super easy to make U turns in one motion

Suggested Improvements

Would be better to have a removable had top instead of the standard soft top, but at $2,000+ to add that feature it's not cost effective

1999 Chevy Tracker
By Jack

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

During the first 5 months of ownership, the dealer had the transmission out 5 times due to broken synchronizers. The last time, they checked, and found a service bulletin from the factory that a few transmissions were built without a certain synco kit. When they replaced it in my tranny, that was the last of my problems. Other than that, this is as close to the perfect car that I have ever found. Fun to drive, (5-speed), quick acceleration, I can carry two adults comfortably in the back seat. Best of all is the gas milage. I have the 2.0L engine, 5-speed, two wheel drive. No matter how I drive the Tracker, I get 30 mpg. I took the car on a 2K mile trip and never got tired of sitting in it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, fun factor, open air driving

Suggested Improvements

I'm not kidding, without spending a lot of money in design (thus making it more expensive), the car is pretty much just the way I would have designed it.

Not bad for a girl car
By thejester157

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I thought when I bought this car I was buying a girl car, but getting a good deal for the money I paid. I was plesantly surprised that this car is fantastic and really fits my needs. It is my family's second car and fits perfectly in that role. Not the best for family's or long road trips, But it can drive in town with the best of them. I have found that i get sufficent gas milage. Plus it fits neatly into small places.

Favorite Features

I like the small turning radius and the sporty feel to the drive.

Suggested Improvements

More interior options and cushions

I love this car
By gregdeb

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

If I buy a new car tommorrow it will be another tracker. I love this vehicle. I do a lot of traveling and need a car that can keep up with me. I have put 110K miles on this thing and have had to pay for very few repairs. I find the style very fun; however, there is not much room for back seat passengers. This is definitely not a family vehicle. It is also a gas eating machine.

Favorite Features

I love the convertible roof; however it is a pain to take off.

Suggested Improvements

I would like better fuel efficency. Also I wish there was more room in the back for passengers.Perhaps the 4 door would be a better option for families.