Used 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

My first car, worst car.
By erigney

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car myself with the money I had made from my first job. This wasn't even three years ago and I have probably paid for it twice in repairs. New timing chain. New spark plugs -twice. New spark wires- twice. New Catalytic Converter. Cleaned Muffler. New turn signal switch. Ect. This car has been nothing but heartache. I loved it to death at first, but it's sucking me dry. Still trying to sell it.... Would not recommend.

Best car I ever owned
By honestabe48

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car going on 15 years now, bought it when it was brand new in 1996. It has 119,000+ miles on it now and still runs like a champ. I've done minor maintanance on it that I think one should do on every car at 7-10years old. It has a new Alternator, starter, fuel pump, radiator hoses, thermostat and tires (factory tires lasted 10 years). The air conditioner did go out at about the 10 year mark so that is the only real MAJOR repair I have to do. Of course the usual thing with power windows happened and I had to replace the motor in the drivers side TWICE! I think general maintanance is key to survival of every car. I keep the oild changed twice a year.

Favorite Features

Leather bucket seats very comfortable. This car burns NO OIL. 15 years old and not a drop of oil burns out of this baby. I guess keeping the oil changed every 6 months really helps. Great gas mileage in town to work and back at tops 24mpg in the spring/summer, drops to 21-22mpg in the winter due to me warming my car up sometimes before work. Plus it pays not to use fast food WINDOWS and go inside instead of waiting inline and burning fuel. I've had this baby tuned up only once and that after 100,000 miles. Really is best care I ever had or have seen on the road.

Suggested Improvements

How can you improve excellence? You have to expect some repairs in 15 years. This has been the greatest value for what I paid $17,500 in 1996 over 15 years and still going.

My first car!
By CAE

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

My mom and dad bought this car hoping it would last me through college. Boy oh boy! We bought this car used for $17,000 (it was one year old). It had 22,000 miles on it as it had been a rental car. My dad was very weary, but I couldn't resist the bright red paint and spoiler. Once the windows were tinted and 17" rims were on it was a hot car! Now, 10 years later my first (and only) car just turned over 200,000 miles. I have really loved driving this car. It handles great, but repairs are never cheap (usually due to labor costs). Proper maintenance is key to this car's longevity. The paint is still shiny and the interior still has plenty of wear left on it.

Favorite Features

great handling/cornering, still gets 25+ mpg on highway

Suggested Improvements

More than one cup holder would be awesome!

My Monte carlo
By Monte96

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from a private seller when it had 100,000 miles on it. That was 8 years ago. I bought this car in November and made a trip to from North Carolina to Wisconsin with it in December. Then we also drove it to Florida twice. I have had intake manifold gaskets replaced twice, but luckily my husband did that himself. I had a problem once with an ignition wire broke and we had to tow it to the dealership to get the "code" to know what was wrong, after trying everything we could think of. Overall, I LOVE my Monte Carlo. It has 213,000 miles on it right now. It is also in the body shop because someone hit me. It is a very sturdy car, withstands damage well.

Favorite Features

It is VERY fun to drive, and a comfortable ride. It is roomy. We just like it so much, we just purchased a 1997 Monte Carlo for my husband.

Not a Bad First Car! 96 Z34
By Rick

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is not a bad first car, I enjoy driving it. It has power for a v6. Nice looking vehicle, and the gas mileage could be better. But I get about 19 mpg. Wish the body and underbody was more stable. So far I have replaced, (tps sensor front and rear struts, strut bushings, oil pan). Transmission is only good for about 80,000 miles. I love the vehicle though, it is worth the 6,000 I paid for it. Bought it at mileage 60,000 miles and now has 145,000 and still strong! Keep fluids up to date, and this vehicle is nice! Bought the car from my father back in 2005, am the second owner! I will never get rid of this vehicle!

Favorite Features

The interior, performance, V6 3.4L!

Suggested Improvements

More stable, more power, FWD? Make it real wheel drive, uses a lot of oil!