1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews 2

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Its 3/5/2010 and I have driven+236,000m
By Jeremy on 03/04/10 22:36 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

On 3/5/2010 I have driven 236,000 plus miles in this car. Over 22K/yr. I have had to do some maintenance but nothing more than usual. The only major repair is the new transmission at 170K. This has been an extremely reliable car throughout and I obviously do a lot of driving and has been comfortable to travel in, I am 6'5" 260lbs so I need some space and this car has plenty. Radio works fine, Blows cold AC, down here in Florida that helps.I had to car in Ohio for the first 10 yrs of its life and the ice/snow/salt did nothing to the outside or anything. Did well in the snow could not be happier with this car overall.I mean everyone has something to complain about but I got my $'s worth

Great while it lasted
By weakweek85 on 03/02/10 12:27 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this wonderful car off of a neighbor down the street. it had 138000 miles on it initially. ran great for a few months, but had a lot of brake problems. one day without warning when i as still under the 3000 mile mark between oil changes, my engine blew out, leaving me devastated. the car died at 147000 miles. i had no warning lights to tell me something was wrong, until the oil pressure light went on AFTER it died. i guess its hit or miss with these cars

Good Car
By LJF75 on 11/02/09 08:02 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've taken good care of this car, and it took good care of me. Replaced the fuel pump 2003. Replaced the battery twice. Putting on the 3rd set of tires. Need a new CD changer, but hey, 130,000 miles in 11 years.

Amazing Little Car
By Paul on 10/08/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I recently bought my 1999 Chevy Malibu for $1,500. For a High School Student the car is an amazing little car. I run it hard and it gets a consistent 23mpg in town. I love the looks of the car and it cleans up really well. Only issue with my car is the gas gauge doesn't work, but I can live without it. It hasn't given me or the previous owner any issues and its pushing 160,000 miles. Great car and I would recommend it to anyone!

Get a warranty
By jl on 08/24/09 14:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2003 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 91,000. My Corsica had the head crack at 59,000 miles, so I bought this. The mechanic at the dealership told me to get a warranty because I would have the intake gasket go bad in a year. Three months later, he was right. Two weeks after that, the fuel pump. I am now on its third intake gasket, third alternator, second water pump, fourth set of brake rotors, and the list goes on. The $1300.00 warranty paid for itself twice. The blower resistor also went bad, causing only two speeds of the defroster to work. Now I think the freon needs charged for a second time. When the car works, it works well.

Blah
By Becca on 06/14/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I did buy the car used it has 156,000 miles on it now and the transmission is going out. I have replaced the engine(luckily still under warranty), starter, alternator, battery, tune up. Need to replace front brakes once to twice a year. Has been reliable car but when something goes wrong it is not a cheap fix always looking at minimum 200 dollars and that's if you fix it yourself. Also problem as long as i have had the car when you are at a stop and turn you will here grind and have to power through it(supposedly nothing wrong). Other than the issues is a good car unfortunately can't afford to fix transmission.

I expected more from Chevy
By Scott on 05/09/09 06:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

The 1999 V6 Malibus have many known engineering flaws. I purchased mine new with less than 20 miles on it and it's going strong at around 90 thousand miles with numerous repairs. My problems are quite common from reading these forums. Replaced the brakes/rotors at least 7-10 times over the past decade at a conservative cost of about $5000-$7000 and I'm not an aggressive driver. I've had the head gasket replaced due to the known Dex cool antifreeze problem ($700), had the alternator changed once, the pass key theft system needed to be replaced ($300) Power windows stick in the heat, A/C went bad.... I thought Chevy had a reputation as a reliable car, guess not the 1999 Malibus.

Might be another Malibu Lemon
By Lana on 03/07/09 15:19 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this chevy for my daughter, and after one week, she became stranded, when it wouldn't start. Upon a mechanic checking it out from place of purchase, said it could be the 'pass key'. Wished I had read reviews before our purchase. Now, we're going to hurry and pay it off, and find another. Money is tight these days, and who wants to buy a car,and then have to worry if you've got a lemon or not? There are few reviews in here that list zero problems with these malibu's. I just don't trust this car with my little grandkids!!!!

O'Mallys run
By john on 02/09/09 14:20 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this Malibu with 51000 miles on her and she has been a great car! I have replaced brakes several times ,come to find out this was a factory issue in these cars.Overall this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned! She now has 151000 miles and is still running strong!I would buy another one if I could find one with the same 2.4 4cyl engine! I get 30 mpg on highway and 25 in city, although she is not the sportiest car she is good in the snow and has plenty of room for my family! I am 6'1 and my son is 6'0 and he can sit behind me with ample leg room!

Good basic car.
By Big Mac on 01/10/09 17:06 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought it new and put 136K on it before giving it to a family member. It was still sound with no creaks, bumps, or finish issues. We averaged ~27 mpg (V-6) over it's lifetime; ~30 on the interstate. A lot of it was winding 2-lane state highways, which it handled very well for it's size. I did have to get the head gaskets done (indicated by falling coolant levels) but that was covered by the (extended) warranty. I was very irritated the first time I had to do the brakes and found the rotors warped at 60K miles - too little metal to hold shape or be worth turning. I never considered rotors to be disposable. At 6'4" and 260#, I was pretty comfortable.