Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

GM will have to win me back
By cec28007

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have replaced the brake pads twice, my rotors are warped, replaced the serpintine belt twice, all four tires, replaced front passenger wheel bearing , and alternator. When driving 75 mph the car shakes, and there is still a bearing noise which comes from the front passenger wheel. In the shop right now having the head intake gasket, water pump and serpentine belt replaced. 3.1 L problematic, just look around the web, you'll see. I thought I'd give GM another shot at winning me over. Let's just say my next car will be a Honda. No wonder GM is loosing so much market share to Honda and Toyota.

Good power from the V-6. Interior laid out well; Spacious interior. Attractive exterior.

FIX THE LEAKY COOLANT SYSTEM. Overall increase in quality would be nice.

graet car at 72000miles
By OK HAPPY CAMPER

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE BRAKE LIGHTS IT UNDER A 10$ FIX!!! BUY NEW BOARDS THAT HOLD THE BULBS AND DONT USE CHEAP BULBS!!! THE BRAKE PROBLEM HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME. I HAD THEM REPLACED AT 40,000 MILES STILL GOING STRONG. I HAVE REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR ONCE AT 35,000 MILES.OVER ALL AN OK CAR FOR THE MONEY.

FUN TO DRIVE

THE BRAKE SYSTEM IS A LITTLE BIT UNDER SIZED FOR THE WIEGHT OF THE CAR WHEN FULLY LOADED WITH FIVE ADULTS. MAYBE 4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN USED

I love my Malibu
By jacksobm

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I've only had my Malibu for 5 months but I love it! I have never had any problems with it. The brakes had to be replaced but the dealer did that since it was still under warranty. Other than that it has be a wonderful car!

It is a smooth and comfortable ride. The car looks nice and I get compliments on it all the time.

I would have to agree with everyone else on the change holder. It could be put in the glove box or in the arm rest.

Problems with Malibu
By aliall

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Apparently these cars are known to have problems with their manifold intake gaskets. Ours went out at 41000 miles and will cost $1000-1200 to replace. The AC/heater fan also doesnt work on settings 1 and 2 and the seatbelts have broken. All in all a bad experience with the quality and reliability

'99 Malibu 4 years later
By Glenn Sieja

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Our Malibu has not been very reliable. Most of the problems were covered under warranty. However, poor front brake and front suspension design continue to be a problem. Fuel capacity is very small and is a huge inconvenience. Don't expect much on the trade in!

Malibu looks good and has reasonable performance.