1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Buy a 99 malibu LS. You won't be sorry.
By Linda on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My 99 malibu ls is great transportation. The only problem I ever experienced is a trunk water leak when it was new. Once that was fixed, it was excellent in all ways. My advice, however, is not to buy a car from Carfagno Chevrolet. They are a nightmare when you have a problem. Go to Magarity Chevrolet on Bethlehem Pike for top of the line, courteous service.

Disappointed chevy lover
By HMaccracken on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought brand new for 20000 grand. Had front brake rotors and pads replaced 3 times in the first 20000 miles, hole in battery, a/c compressor failed, rear seat belts had to be replaced, tape player quit, fuel injector failed, repeated engine light problems. I bought this car for peace of mind and reliability because my wife would be driving it with our children most of the time. My father woked for Chevy for 20 plus years and I thought I was a very loyal customer, But I am very disapponted!!!!!!! THE IMPORTS ARE KICKING OUR BUTTS!!!!!!!!!

Big timebrake problems, $$$$$$$$$
By Wesley R. on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I had to ship this one. It was bad. Right fron spinde would not allow for the mounting of the spare. Any spare would run on the calipers. Went through brake pads & rotors like a movie theater through popcorn. Rear shooes did last almost 30k. Pads every 5 or 6 k, rotors at 8-10k. It is the only time I knowingly traded in a vehicle with problems.

OK, but not Recommended
By AnneTexas on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have had the same repetitive problems with my Malibu. From automatic windows breaking twice to the air conditioner going out 3 times. Most recently the Alternator went out with no battery warning whatsoever. For having the car less than 3 years (bought new), it's been in the shop probably 10 times. Though nothing extremely major has broken, I do not recommend this car.

Cathy reviews the Malibu
By cathy on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Hi! I purchased the car in Feb. 2002 and I love it. I test drove a ton of other cars, and I really liked the Malibu. Lots of power, but with good fuel efficiency. I also really like the spaciousness of the interior. I'm not a big car fan, so this was somewhere in the middle- lots of interior space without feeling like it's a boat!

Yuck
By TonyM on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought brand new and this car is very disapponting. It has 50,000 miles on it, but it has had far too many repairs to keep it going, including engine oil leaks, bad rear suspension control arm\bushings, tires that needed replacing at 17,000 miles, premature brake rotor replacement, noisy front suspension that now needs repair, clogged fuel injectors, broken heater fan motor switch, dead battery, horn switch failure, and numerous squeaky rattling interior panels.

Nice Surprise
By robinrr on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We were shopping for a family sedan on a very limited budget. The Malibu was the most affordable 5 passenger sedan we could find. With automatic trans. PW, PL, keyless entry, AC, curise, etc it came to about $15,000. After purchasing it we kept finding features we didn't know were there - daylight running lights, automatic head lights, a cup holder on the left for the driver, comfortable rear seating for 6 foot passengers, a trucnk that will hold $400 worth of groceries, etc. After 30,000 miles it has been trouble free (a warranty replacement of a PS hose solved a PS chatter). The 2.4 liter 4 has plenty of power and gets 30 MPG on the highway. Highly recommend this vehicle.

We both love this car.
By msellen on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This is the second one we've owned and have never had a problem.

99 malibu
By Truckinkev on 03/04/02 15:02 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

45000 miles so far and it`s been a very good car. Transmission is very smooth and the 4 cyl motor has good power while delivering 27-30 mpg. On the down side the climate control is weak...the heat takes forever and the a/c isn`t much better.

Good Transportation
By Paul H. McLaughlin on 02/27/02 12:32 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have found it to be very reliabile and responsive. I am always surprised at the fast response with the six.