2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Hatchbacks are great!!
By Kit Gerhart on 11/11/09 11:39 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new in 2006, and it has been great. The seats are very comfortable for me on long trips, and, while not a sports car, it has plenty of power and handles well. I got the LTZ because I wanted a few gadgets like HomeLink that weren't available on cheaper trim levels. The gas mileage, while not great, is at least as good as could be expected for a car this size and power. I get in the low- mid 20's in mixed driving, and 29-30 on the interstate going as fast as I can get by with. The reliability has been great; I've had no problems in 3 1/2 years of ownership.

This is a terrific mid-sized car!
By MKD on 09/09/08 11:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I’ve owned my Maxx for two months and love it. I had to replace my 270,000 mi. BMW 318is commuter car and needed great gas mileage and four doors. I looked at Vibes and Mazda 3 wagons but liked the Maxx better. This car has exceeded my expectations! It has comfortable seats with lots of leg room, sun roofs front and back and the rear seat audio controls and headphones keep the kids busy and happy. The hatch area holds all our stuff. It is a fun car to drive. I like the power steering. Average mileage is 26/33 city/highway. Some don’t like the looks of the car but I do. This is a real winner! GM should build it with the new Malibu styling. Now that would be fantastic!

My Maxx
By moehrked on 06/24/08 22:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu Maxx in mid 2006 because I wanted better gas mil3age. Well, I got it! I drive from Leland NC to Myrtle Beach SC about 2 to 3 times a month, and I manage to get 30 to 32 mpg. I can get 30 mpg at 65 mph easily. I must say that I do love this car. All I have ever done so far to this car is change the oil when it tells me to and rotate the tires when it tells me to. I have OnStar maintance package and so far that is all that has be noted.

Great for Family of Five
By Charles on 11/09/06 09:05 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very surprising car, but it's based an an Opel, after all. We chose it over a Mazda 5 mini-mini van. Big and versatile enough for 3 boys aged 7, 10, and 12 for long trips and has enough room for our suitcases too. The van will stay home unless we take the camper on future trips. Bought it because Bambi wrecked our '89 BMW 325i, so we were kind of spoiled and skeptical, but not anymore! Great features for the price, especially with the rebates. XM radio is excellent, would not have bought it except it was already installed which we're glad of. With the 2006 interior updates and more external chrome it looks more contemporary. Hope it proves reliable!

LTZ MAX
By LTZ Maxx on 10/27/06 16:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We went to the dealer with the intention of buying an Impala. The salesman suggested that we take a look at the Max. We found that with 2 young children that it would probably be a good car for us with the windows above the rear seats and the rear dvd system. The kids love it and so do we. We definitely would suggest at least getting an LTZ model. The bigger wheels and chrome accents really add to the looks. We like it more and more. We commute about sixty plus miles per day a combination of highway and city driving and have averaged 28mpg and on our trip highway was 34ish.

GM Sales Consultant Owned
By Mitch Biggs on 10/09/06 10:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recommend the Maxx LTZ to anyone who loves functional space and long trip comfort. I average 24 mpg city and 30 on the Highway and have exceeded 34 mpg on some trips. A Large Size Pet Porter fits in the cargo area for hauling my 100 lb. labrador. A great amount of features for the money. As a performace oriented person, the LTZ is sufficient but I would love to try the SS on my next lease, as long as they add heated seats and auto dimming mirror options!

This is my 2nd Maxx
By bradley on 09/03/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I traded an '05 LS ex-rental car for my new LTZ. I was already impressed with the power this car puts out, and all the nifty little features that the interior has (sliding rear seats, etc.). My biggest gripes about the car are the electric steering calibration (could be stiffer at speed), and the CD radio. The radio itself sounds great, but this design has been out for 3 model years now, and as of yet there is no aftermarket support for it. Meaning if you car does not come with XM, you cannot add one directly to the stereo itself, must be FM modded. And no MP3 support either.

Malibu LTZ to the MAXX
By Kevin on 01/25/06 22:12 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the best kept secrets at your local Chevy dealer. The quality, ride, interior function are world class. Chevrolet market needs to get the word out on this one. We drove the Maxx from Ohio to Fla in December and average 31 mpg! Tons of room and teenage sons and friend love the room.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.