Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LTZ Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Hatchbacks are great!!
By Kit Gerhart

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new in 2006, and it has been great. The seats are very comfortable for me on long trips, and, while not a sports car, it has plenty of power and handles well. I got the LTZ because I wanted a few gadgets like HomeLink that weren't available on cheaper trim levels. The gas mileage, while not great, is at least as good as could be expected for a car this size and power. I get in the low- mid 20's in mixed driving, and 29-30 on the interstate going as fast as I can get by with. The reliability has been great; I've had no problems in 3 1/2 years of ownership.

Favorite Features

Hatchback body style. Very comfortable seats (I'm 5'10" and 150#). Legible displays and logical controls. In the LTZ, there are convenience gadgets you pay extra for in many cars that cost $10,000 more.

Suggested Improvements

Sell a hatchback or wagon version of the new Malibu, preferably with the 4 cylinder/6-speed power train they have in the new Malibu sedan. Unless they sell a mid-size hatch or wagon again, GM will not have a chance at my business when I'm ready to replace my '06 Maxx in a couple years.

This is a terrific mid-sized car!
By MKD

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Iíve owned my Maxx for two months and love it. I had to replace my 270,000 mi. BMW 318is commuter car and needed great gas mileage and four doors. I looked at Vibes and Mazda 3 wagons but liked the Maxx better. This car has exceeded my expectations! It has comfortable seats with lots of leg room, sun roofs front and back and the rear seat audio controls and headphones keep the kids busy and happy. The hatch area holds all our stuff. It is a fun car to drive. I like the power steering. Average mileage is 26/33 city/highway. Some donít like the looks of the car but I do. This is a real winner! GM should build it with the new Malibu styling. Now that would be fantastic!

Favorite Features

Good balance of engine power and gas economy - both are very good. Roominess throughout. Passenger comfort can't be beat. Stereo controls for driver and rear seat are nice. I'm sure I'll like the remote start this winter as well as the heated seats. I love this car!

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had an MP3 connection for the stereo. Auto dimming rear view mirror. A better coin storage area. A heads-up display (OK, now I'm really reaching).

My Maxx
By moehrked

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu Maxx in mid 2006 because I wanted better gas mil3age. Well, I got it! I drive from Leland NC to Myrtle Beach SC about 2 to 3 times a month, and I manage to get 30 to 32 mpg. I can get 30 mpg at 65 mph easily. I must say that I do love this car. All I have ever done so far to this car is change the oil when it tells me to and rotate the tires when it tells me to. I have OnStar maintance package and so far that is all that has be noted.

Favorite Features

Factory installed remote start! Love it. The climate control A/C and heat, and the radio. Lots of storage room, and cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Heated outside rear mirrors. Please, Please bring back the Maxx for 2008 and beyond!

Great for Family of Five
By Charles

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very surprising car, but it's based an an Opel, after all. We chose it over a Mazda 5 mini-mini van. Big and versatile enough for 3 boys aged 7, 10, and 12 for long trips and has enough room for our suitcases too. The van will stay home unless we take the camper on future trips. Bought it because Bambi wrecked our '89 BMW 325i, so we were kind of spoiled and skeptical, but not anymore! Great features for the price, especially with the rebates. XM radio is excellent, would not have bought it except it was already installed which we're glad of. With the 2006 interior updates and more external chrome it looks more contemporary. Hope it proves reliable!

Favorite Features

Great power with decent fuel economy. Capable handling, smooth on bumpy dirt roads. XM radio. Driving position, visibilty. Adjustable/reclining rear seats. Sunroof, and separate tuner keeps 3 kids happy. Attractive interior with the cashmere leather. Easy to use switches

Suggested Improvements

Head rest in center rear seat needed, like on Opel Corsa. Rear sunshades stink. How about a segmented plastic design? Door lock switch is awkward. Rear bumper top should have a black rubber pad like on minivans to prevent/absorb scratches when loading trunk.

LTZ MAX
By LTZ Maxx

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We went to the dealer with the intention of buying an Impala. The salesman suggested that we take a look at the Max. We found that with 2 young children that it would probably be a good car for us with the windows above the rear seats and the rear dvd system. The kids love it and so do we. We definitely would suggest at least getting an LTZ model. The bigger wheels and chrome accents really add to the looks. We like it more and more. We commute about sixty plus miles per day a combination of highway and city driving and have averaged 28mpg and on our trip highway was 34ish.

Favorite Features

The heated seats, remote start, DVD system, moonroof, info center, and climate contol. We like that it has side impact and curtain air bags. OnStar has been great with the built in phone. Adjustible rear seats are a nice added bonus. It has a lot of bang for the buck.

Suggested Improvements

Steering could be more responsive. It's not a huge deal.