Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu-maxx - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Created acount to post this..
By mpatricio

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car my grandparents bought brand new. Was given to my mom and then to me. It currently has 229,000km now on it. Needs transmission work for afew years now. There is a knock in the car whenever you turn right, costs 500 bucks to fix. This car has 5 recalls on it atm.. for power steering which the steering cut out on me on the busy highway as I was merging. This car has had nothing but problems over the past 2-3 years. Changed the alternator like 5 times in 2 years. Constant little isuses, enver buying a gm after the 68 and counting recalls ALONE in 2014 for chevy.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

bringing chevy down

Not total happy with my Maxx
By laurie28

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx in late 2004. Steering issues every year. GM kept replacing steering. Finally used a "redesigned" component that solved the problems. Tire rods replaced. Recently had loss of power steering. started working after I stopped the car. Chevy will not check it out at no charge. New brakes after 1200 miles. Back seat lever broke off. Driver seat power adjustments broke. Remote start quit working. Key fobs with new batteries still won't open or lock doors. Hatch back won't open and when to Chevy 3 times to get it fixed. One thing. Great handling and acceleration!! I won't buy another GM vehicle. Ever.

maximum contentment
By webber1

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have had many cars and makes over the years. The Malibu Maxx is one of the best I've owned (into my sixth year with 80K). Normal maintenace only, couple of wheel bearings, tie rod, ball joints, new steering rack and tail light assembly. Car is into its ninth year and still drives and looks great. (I have treated it with rust proofing every other year) Would consider moving up except there is nothing out there to replace it, so I keep driving this one of a kind car and loving it still.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, peppy performance, appearance, passenger and cargo space. Love the hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

What' to improve?

I Want to Keep This Car Forever!
By maxx_girl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had many cars, new and used, from MBZ's to several other GM cars, and although my MBZ 300 was a work horse, I have never had a car I love more than this. Reliable, attractive, lots of leg and head room, can fit tons of stuff into it, great mileage on the open road particularly, just a great car.

Favorite Features

Leg room (I'm tall); capacity (I can fit 4 mos worth of stuff into it for a drive to my summer location); smooth ride; good gas mileage- esp. on the highway (32 with A/C running and car loaded).

Suggested Improvements

The door strap on the driver's door will NOT keep the door open. Hate that. I would like if the rear seats could fold flat. My left rear blinker goes out more often than any other. Rear hatchback came down on my forehead a year ago when I thought it was up all the way. Had a black eye and bruised face for over a month!

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
By Watson

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought it brand new. We haven't had any problems since our bumper to bumper ran out. Warranty covered the rear defroster poking outside of the exterior glass (replaced rear window), the steering knock (chevy extended a recall on the electric steering up to 70k), the left rear running light (twice) and the front brake rotars warped and had to be turned at 32k (I had to fight the dealer on that one).

Favorite Features

For a family sedan built on a Saab platform you couldn't ask for a more versatile and fun car to drive. I can't believe we average 28mpg with a 205 hp V6. It's got the right amount of umph without any torque oversteer and has all the safety features you would expect. Rear seats give plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

Radio doesn't have an auxilary input for MP3 players. Recommend Monster FM tuner. There's no after market fix unless you replace the radio but then you have to buy a GM message center $250 to go underneath aftermarket radio $200 plus install could run from $500 just to get an auxiliary input.