2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 4-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )
new lelel of comfort
By bob on 07/05/10 07:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

We traded in our 1 year old 2009 Malibu LS for a 2009 Malibu Hybrid 4 months ago. After rebates we spent $3k and the government will be giving us $1550 back. What a steal. We love the car and our salesman. It gets about 37 mpg on a trip or about 6 mpg, on average better than our non hybrid Malibu did. This car has to be the most underrated and thus biggest bargain out there. They are giving them away. We did not loose 20% as we drove it off the show room floor. The Kelly "trade in" for the Hybrid is more than we paid for both Malibus combined. We didn't fully appreciate the car until we had driven it for a few months. We love the way it slows you down without touching the brakes.

Looks good so far
By david on 05/22/10 04:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

My wife gets compliments all the time. People are surprised it is a Malibu (considering the previous old boxy style). The car looks great, could be a bit more peppy but gets the job done. We have had zero mechanical problems, Gas in this car seems to last for ever. We average around 30mpg in mixed city and highway driving (not bad for a mid size sedan). Sound system great, lots of little nooks to holds stuff, lots of trunk space, comes with XM, on- star is cooler than I thought with turn by turn GPS and the emailed mechanical reports. Overall, this car has a lot of cool features for the money, the coolest is the motor shuts off while stopped in traffic to save gas (why didn't I think that?)

vehicle
By tekar on 10/22/09 16:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

i bought a 09 malibu hybrid for new york taxicab couple months i like it and suddenly makes noise from engine had to change belt at 36000mile then front two wheel makes noise through bump ,and of course to change headlight bulb you've to take whole front bumper out which cost around $70-80 something happens its expensive to maintain so i would suggest buy regular not green not good gas mileage i wish it 26-34mpg

Mediocre Hybrid
By Mike S on 06/15/09 06:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

We have a 2009 Malibu Hybrid as a fleet vehicle in the agency I work for. We've had it for approx 6 months and put 5000 miles on it. I am not impressed by it. The electric motor assist, frankly, is a useless gimmick. It does not provide electric-only power when you are tooling around a parking lot or in stop-and-go traffic. The total power output of the engine is lethargic and the vehicle has issues merging onto highways without going full-throttle, which is disappointing. We also have a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid which outclasses it in almost every way possible. I suggest driving both before making a decision one way or the other. The Fusion is a couple thousand more but well worth it.

check it out and you will buy it
By frank kaczynski on 05/31/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

I'm presently enjoying 34-38mpg in a combo of highway and city and I have to say its hard to believe the mileage is better that in the subcompact car I previously owned. This car is just a little smaller than the impala and is a very comfortable ride on long trips. Its hard to believe its only a four cylinder because when you nail it the electric motor also kicks in and its got plenty of pep. I fell in love with the styling both interior and exterior- its really sharp! When I showed it to co-workers two of them actually purchased a straight malibu shortly after viewing and riding in mine. Chevy really detailed this car with some very classy styling and the 2- tone interior is sharp!

Great car
By Dave on 05/27/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

I write this review on May 27 2009. I bought the car on Mat 21 2009. The car had 113 miles and now has a little over 1100 miles. I am getting an avg of 32 mpg city/highway combined. I can easily get 34 mpg on I 40 at 70 mph. So far I love this car.

Nice Ride
By Tim on 04/12/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

The only thing I would change is the accent color of the interior, would be darker(dirt shows too easily on lighter surfaces). Nice comfortable ride I'm getting around 28 mpg city and 38 mpg hwy. Much better than the cobalt I had before witch avged 20 city and 29 hwy. Nice audio system sound is clear & crisp. The trunk is a surprise I thought because the batteries were in back that the trunk would be smaller, not so I was able to fit a card table 2 folding dog crates and suitcases and still had room! you could put a compact spare in this car as well but is not an option at purchase because they want to save on weight. All in all a very nice product from GM.

To The Nay Sayers
By Jeff on 09/05/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

Just purchased the new 09 Malibu Hybrid. So far I am impressed. Not seeing the huge fuel savings I had hoped for as of yet. However, coming from an Avalanche it is much better. I was originally concerned with the perform, however, it is adequate. Even though this is a "mild" hybrid, I still makes me feel good to know I am helping out. I would recommend this over any import car any day! Look out Accord and Camry - the Malibu is here!

Outstanding
By Brent on 08/16/08 18:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

This vehicle is my daily driver. It will definitely exceed the EPA listed mileage. I'm currently averaging 35+ mpg in mixed city/highway driving. Given the nature of this car, performance was not at the top of my list, but it will move when you ask it to, and get solid mileage the rest of the time.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Sedan in WA is:

$164 per month*