Used 1992 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

little catty
By robert thoms

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

car drives excellent, gives on trouble.every body in the family drives it when they need a ride.i drive it mostly to work about 45 miles a day. my daughter drove it to jackson,ms about a year,the rubber part on the transmission lines broke, had to replace them,did that myself a/c line busted, never replaced it, to get the a/c going again would cost more than the car was worth air vent works real good

fun to drive,comfortable to ride in good visionall around

could have done a better job on the rear spring.the rubber tips wore out makes a chattering noise on rough roads

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Brian

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

My Dad pushed me into this car while I was unemployed, after wrecking the family heirloom (again), the '87 Celebrity wagon. The Lumina was as unreliable as the '94 Grand Am GT Quad4 HO I used to have, but was totally lame on top of it, and had worse fuel economy than the GAGT. In typical 90's GM fashion, there were no catastrophes with the car (saving it from a 1 in reliability), but literally every month something needed attention to keep it running.

The beautiful sound and flat torque of GM's 60* V6s is undeniable. Also there really isn't much fault in the Hydramatic 4-speed auto. Powertrains is what GM does best. The fully independent suspension provides plenty of comfort and controlled (but no where nearing sporty) handling.

BRAKES! I assumed with twin piston fronts and *gasp* rear disc this thing would stop on a dime. WRONG! I have never driven a car with such terrible stopping performance. I blame it partially for the minor rear-ending of a K car I caused. Reliability obviously. Also it's just a lame car.

Surprised
By Zeno54

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

It was 10 yrs old with 93K when I bought it. It was fully loaded with an awesome GM Bose sound system. The 3.1 V6 was quick and powerful, yet with the overdrive, it got great gas mileage, 22 mpg city/38-40 hwy at 70+mph with cruise control on several long trips from Pa. to Fl. and Tx. The floating caliper was a faulty design and I had to replace the brake pads every 6 months. The r/r outer pad would be all wore out, yet the rest still looked new. Got smart and changed only the outer pad if the others had no wear. After 16 yrs, minimal body rust, but the salt did a number on the undercarriage, brake lines and any bolts. I'd still be driving it, but a truck hit me and totaled it. Still ran great at 216K.

Sharp design, good inside ergonomics, strong engine and great gas mileage. Fun to drive, and great visibility. The ABS was great in the snow and rain. Did I mention the awesome GM/Delco Bose sound system

The brakes

Good yet bad?
By numcore

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 2dr Coupe

OK this car has been pretty good to me. I got very lucky on the whole mileage thing. The person kept it in their driveway for years. That's where the problems started. This car wasn't used to being used every day. Very very costly for everything. Most people can't work on it without special equipment meaning you have to take it to the dealer to get anything fixed. The air alone cost me major dolars not to mention the timing belt.

It's fast, picks up speed easily.

1992 Lumina - Odometer 48,000 miles
By Lumina Fan

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1992 Lumina in 1994 from a couple who entered a nursing home. I've had very few problems with my Lumina. Wish they still made this model. Chevy probably didn't because people were hanging on to them too long! There's only 48,000 miles on the odometer (yes, that's the correct number) Right now, the Lumina does need some minor repairs - hoses, tires - I get a complete tuneup every year, but I now have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, so I'm afraid I will need to sell my Lumina. I've never had a car that lasted so long with so few problems! I only hope the Cobalt will do as well.