2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Excellent car
By ravens1986 on 09/04/13 19:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cavy when it had around 135,000 miles on it. It's just now gotten to 218,000 after five years of owning it, and it's been exceptionally reliable. The only part to go bad on it was the fuel pump, I have not had to buy any other parts for it. Other than the standard oil change and brake service, new tires, and normal maintenance, I haven't had to put any money in to it. And I used to abuse the crap out of it when I was younger. Well worth the investment. I notice a lot of people posting about having all sorts of problems with theirs, but it's the absolute opposite for me. It's not the sportiest car, but it is reliable.

The Value Mobile
By sbe79 on 08/05/13 20:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in 2/2013 with a mere 38K on it. Had been garaged constantly and rarely driven in inclement weather. Basically, it was nearly mint. All in all, the car feels extremely cheap. It does not feel or drive like a 2003 of any type, it feels much older. It is a true budget mobile that offers no thrills or extras -- it's a wonder these ever sold at all up against the competitively priced Civic or Corolla. My wife drives it as an errand runner -- and she runs a lot of errands. It has so far proven it's dependability. Even though it feels like I could karate chop most of the interior, I think I could drive it at least part way across the US without issue.

Reliable, excellent gas milage!
By travelsalot on 10/12/11 07:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2004 with 24k miles for about $8500. When purchased, my car would get 30-32 miles per gallon highway and 28-30 mpg town. I have had my car for 7 years and now have 165k miles racked up. On average, I get 29.5-31 mpg highway and 28 mpg town. Over the years I have replaced a few things: Carpet (warranty) Ignition switch x3 (warranty) Fuel pump x1 (around 90k miles) Brakes x2 (one set front and back with rotors- have lifetime warranty on parts) Tires (set of 4) x2 Fan motor (very inexpensive through private mechanic) and belt x1 0verall, very few inexpensive mechanic bills. I am starting to burn oil, but the car exhaust does not stink.

2003 Chevy Cavalier Review
By md2011 on 05/19/11 09:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car Feb 06 traded it in May 09' with 68k. My first car. Drivetrain in this car could not be beat strong engine good transmission(auto). Performance, handling was exceptional. Excellent mpg 35mpg hwy. Problem is everything else in this car was going. The A/C had problems with derbis that would rattle in the vents, alternator was going, battery was going, suspension was horrible. So many rattles actually got rubber sheets cut and siliconed it in various places to stop the rattles. Interior space every bump I hit my head on the ceiling (i'm 6'3). Interior materials were below avg but this an economy car. Cupholders in a bad location. t All in all good first car.

2003 cavalier
By wolverine39 on 05/09/11 02:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just sold my 03 Cavalier, it had 125,000 miles. I owned it for 18 months. I had problems with it leaking oil and had to replace the rear main seal, also recently the a/c unit went out in it which caused me to sell. but other than that it was reliable, always started and never left me on the side of the road.

115k miles and...
By neil27 on 02/22/11 20:02 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 115k miles on my Chevy cavalier. The price was very attractive. The car has surprisingly good slow speed acceleration. However, I've had numerous mechanical difficulties including: fuel pump failure, multiple evap canister failures, serious wire harness failure, ventilation blower failure, speaker problems, hood latch failure, power steering issues, broken seat. In addition the car eats front end brake rotors at high rate. The transmission failed with 12k miles, but was replaced on warranty. The rear suspension is noisy and rides really rough. Road noise levels are high. The interior design, especially the placement of the cup holders, is terrible

Not a good choice
By Jay on 04/05/10 23:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My parents bought me this car when I graduated but I wish they went with something else. Ive owned one for 3 years and now selling it. It is very reliable and doesn't have many mechanical problems at all but the entire interior design is made from cheap easy to break materials. Even the seats are VERY uncomfortable for driving for long periods my back would actually start to hurt after 3 or so hours and i'd have to get out and stretch, the cup holders are ridiculously placed right behind the cup holders. Don't expect the CD drive to last long either. Not to mention what car nowadays doesn't have power doors OR windows??The brakes also stink on wet roads, the steering is loose.

fun but it has its problems
By chevycavalierowner on 03/17/10 21:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car with 50,000 miles on it. The car drives excellent. IT is real fun to drive. The only thing wrong with it is its real cramped inside, and the car car is real torquey.

Love my Cavy
By mdshome on 11/30/09 00:59 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 10,000 miles on it. Have driven the heck out of it for 6+ years. Currently has 190,000 miles on it and still runs like a dream. Other than brakes, rotors, and a fuel pump no other problems. Didn't think about the cup holders being a problem, just slightly inconvenient. With back seat down, I have hauled 8 foot 2x4's in it and use it like a truck. Still getting me 28-32 mpg consistently. Drives great in the snow. I make it to work when people with 4x4s don't. Makes me laugh!

Really good Cavalier
By Darby J. Pruitt on 08/03/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This 03 Cavalier is the 2nd Cavalier I have owned, and besides the few problems that I have had this car has seen me though thick and thin. Now that I have hit 105,000 miles I'm looking forward to it's first real tuneup. It diffenetly has the get up go I need to fly past any import I come across. The comfort is pretty good seeing I managed to stay setted for 10 hours on two 780 mile trips, and I think the automatic transmissons are as good as the manuels. The only problems I've had are the fuel pump, e- vac canister, and catalytic converter, (the converter was my fault for running hard everyday). And after 1 wreak with a BMW (BMW's fault) the Cavalier is still running like she means it.