2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
The best $5500 I ever spent
By joebloe1 on 05/23/13 12:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2002 4 speed auto with 60K on the clock in 2007. It now has 147K. It has been absolutely reliable with routine maintenance. With a set of Pirelli tires it handles great on our curvy roads. We average about 30MPG. Minor problems with outside mirror, sun visor and cracked dash. Apparently due to poor choice of materials, workmanship or design. The odometer works intermittently. There is apparently a bad connection. When you bang on the instrument cluster it works. The seats are really uncomfortable after a couple of hours. This is an inexpensive car that is very reliable. I expect to get well over 200K miles. If they still made them I would buy another.

Super Great Car
By Gracie on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this car. Although it isn't fancy, it has done me well. I haven't any major issues with it. I did have to replace two of the power window motors, the starter and the water pump, but all together less than 500.00 in almost 5 years. Never had any sign of trouble, and it always gets me to where I need to go. I have taken it on several 1000+ miles trips with no problems.

2002 Cavalier LT Sedan
By C,Diddy on 08/12/10 22:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is unspectacular. The ride quality and performance is below average. But,I love it for being extremely reliable and cheap to operate. Good on gas and oil. A.C. only works 100% when vehicle is moving. ABS and traction control light goes off and on, and I have a strut in the front that needs to be changed. But, like I said, RELIABLE and CHEAP! I have 103,000 km on mine, and I have no doubt it will last for as long as I need it to.

I owned 3 cavaliers
By Michael on 05/24/10 14:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The door locks rusted out twice (what's with that?) No rust anywhere else on the car. It runs great. Does not burn oil. The battery died after 8 years. I replace the blower motor at 80kkm. It slowly lost its speed until it only had high speed. I still have the car and will probably have it for many years to come.

Fun to drive, very reliable.
By Daystrom on 03/06/10 21:04 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier new in March 2002. Still gets great gas mileage even after eight years. Smooth and quite. Handles nicely. Lots of storage. Back seat folds down so you can store long items through the trunk and along the back seat. Only problem have been the power windows. Replaced the front driver side window motor after three years. It has been working fine for the last five years. Now the two back windows are now starting stick. Which is strange, since I don't open them much. Still a great car!

Great car for the money
By M Gomez on 06/17/08 08:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 130,000 miles on my Cavalier. Overall it's a really good car. I have had to replace driver side window motor twice but other than brake pad replacements and routine oil changes and a new gas cap, no other repairs have been required.

Poor Car
By Dave on 03/27/08 08:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my wife against my better judgment. (cars reputation) I was told that they had improved build quality. They have not!! The car only has 55000 km on it and something breaks every week. All new brakes at 40k, fan speed switch, lower control arm bushings, broken rear defrost switch that required a complete heater control unit because you can't just change switch!! etc, etc! Everything squeaks! Not even close to being is the same league as my last Toyota or current Subaru. Can't wait to get rid of this car. I will never buy another GM!!!!

Good Car!
By Robert on 10/31/05 15:21 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was worried that my car would be a poor choice with all of the poor reviews from consumer reports, but the price was affordable so I got it. This car has been great! Good gas mileage 34mpg avg., never has given me a single problem. Other than styling, I would recommend this car to anyone.

Not a bad little car
By getelimi on 07/24/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 3rd Cavalier. After drivivng it for 3 years, so far so good. The only problem is the AC stopped working 800 miles past the warranty. The dealer covered the parts, but we paid for labor- wasn't happy about that. Drove it to Florida 1300 miles, and it was very noisy on concrete highways, and in one instance the car would not start until I jiggled the shifter. I liked our '86 the best, and drove it 109,000 miles with no repairs.

Good Cheap Car
By ooaiiau on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I made it through a lousy dealership and got an awesome little car. My only complaint is the power windows. Sure it could use more power, but I already knew i wasn't buying a corvette. For the price & what it is, this is an excellent and very reliable car.