Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sedan Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

The best $5500 I ever spent
By joebloe1

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2002 4 speed auto with 60K on the clock in 2007. It now has 147K. It has been absolutely reliable with routine maintenance.

With a set of Pirelli tires it handles great on our curvy roads. We average about 30MPG.

Minor problems with outside mirror, sun visor and cracked dash. Apparently due to poor choice of materials, workmanship or design.

The odometer works intermittently. There is apparently a bad connection. When you bang on the instrument cluster it works.

The seats are really uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

This is an inexpensive car that is very reliable. I expect to get well over 200K miles. If they still made them I would buy another.

Update 5/2016 miles ~ 187,00. Still runs like a new one. Replaced water pump while we were at it replaced timing belt, serpentine belt, plugs and valve seals. Supposedly you do not have to change ATF. I change mine every 60-70,000 miles using synthetic fluid. (Fluid is cheaper than transmissions.)

Super Great Car
By Gracie

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this car. Although it isn't fancy, it has done me well. I haven't any major issues with it. I did have to replace two of the power window motors, the starter and the water pump, but all together less than 500.00 in almost 5 years. Never had any sign of trouble, and it always gets me to where I need to go. I have taken it on several 1000+ miles trips with no problems.

MPG, and the power features.

Power window motors were made a bit cheaply.

2002 Cavalier LT Sedan
By C,Diddy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is unspectacular. The ride quality and performance is below average. But,I love it for being extremely reliable and cheap to operate. Good on gas and oil. A.C. only works 100% when vehicle is moving. ABS and traction control light goes off and on, and I have a strut in the front that needs to be changed. But, like I said, RELIABLE and CHEAP! I have 103,000 km on mine, and I have no doubt it will last for as long as I need it to.

Efficient on gas and oil

Cup holders are placed directly in front of the heating and cooling controls.

I owned 3 cavaliers
By Michael

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The door locks rusted out twice (what's with that?) No rust anywhere else on the car. It runs great. Does not burn oil. The battery died after 8 years. I replace the blower motor at 80kkm. It slowly lost its speed until it only had high speed. I still have the car and will probably have it for many years to come.

Okay car. Make them again and I will buy a new one.

Sun visor could line up with passenger one. There is a gap that lets the sun in.

Fun to drive, very reliable.
By Daystrom

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier new in March 2002. Still gets great gas mileage even after eight years. Smooth and quite. Handles nicely. Lots of storage. Back seat folds down so you can store long items through the trunk and along the back seat. Only problem have been the power windows. Replaced the front driver side window motor after three years. It has been working fine for the last five years. Now the two back windows are now starting stick. Which is strange, since I don't open them much. Still a great car!

Great gas mileage. The power window controls centered between the front seats.

Power windows motors.