1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1995 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Sort Reviews by

Horrible, horrible vehicle
By me2000

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but problems with this car. The water pump went out, the head gasket is currently leaking so I have to keep putting coolant in ($10 per bottle adds up!), continuously having to replace the brakes every year, electrical problems. I have stalled three times because of this crappy car. It's rusting beneath the gas cap. Overheats all the time. I can't even put the AC on or it'll overheat. Do not buy this car. It's a money pit. I'm getting a new car in two weeks because I cannot take it anymore. I absolutely dread going into this car every time I drive it. You don't know what's going to happen next! You fix one thing and another thing breaks!

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the overheating issues! Reliability. More power, almost got killed on the highway once because it wouldn't accelerate fast enough.

Worst choice of my life
By disturbedchic

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought a '95 Cavalier to replace what I thought was an ailing car I should've kept. In the 7 months I've owned the car it's had mechanical problems 6 times. First day I got it found out something was wrong with the transmission which would make it freeze up and not switch gears when it warmed up. The water pump busted and I went through 4 jugs of antifreeze before it could get fixed, transmission started to go, car would max out at 50, back door popped right open one day around a turn, and just recently it would take a city block to get it to 30mph and the whole exhaust system nearly touches the ground while the converter looks ready to blow.

Favorite Features

Good space on the interior and looks sharp on the outside, gas mileage decent.

Suggested Improvements

Unless mine was a fluke or a bad year build a better car overall with reliable trans and more accessible parts under the hood (spark plugs horrid to change). Needs smoother ride and more comfy seats. Engine needs more power.

Not a bad little car
By Not a bad car

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well I bought the car in 1999 and it had around 50,000 miles on it. Around a month or two later the A/C compressor started grinding and was covered by warranty. Next after it was payed for the head gasket blew which was around $700.00 to fix which was a bargain considering the work. I still own the car that is the extent of the work that has been done on the car besides regular maintenance. Well last month i had my A/c recharged at that time the whole system was checked for any leaks and it was approved. Over all i'm satisfied with this car now it has just peaked at 100,000 miles and still running strong.

Favorite Features

Styling, Fuel economy, Price, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

the only complaint is that the interior panels crack and i personally take care of the car I guess its a design flaw.

Good for the money
By kmant

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Cavalier used with 57,000 miles on it. I had to replace the pulley on the a/c and the rear strut mount right away. I noticed it started leaking oil around 110,000 miles. I replaced the head gasket one weekend around 115,000 miles. There is rust on the bottom of the front and rear door on the passenger side. Had to replace the spark packs at 135,000 miles. There is a low humming noise when I turn left. I have 138,000 miles on it and that 2.2 still runs strong. No oil burning. Other than the above mentioned, the car always starts. For the money it is a good car and I would buy another.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

A pain to change the spark plug wires, improve design for rusting.

My great little cavi
By venusL13

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used and have owned it myself for almost 5 years. This car has been nothing but wonderful. Repairs have been few and all milage appropriate. The car handles beautifully and is fantastic in the snow. The car has over 100,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I would highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

durable, great gas milage, car still looks great at 9 years old

Suggested Improvements

more powerful engine, more std features

Repairs, more repairs, and more repairs
By Parnelli

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

We purchased this white '95 four door in August of 1999 when it had only 20,000 miles on it. We now have 74,000 miles on the car. We've replaced the head gasket ($650), water pump ($100), wheel speed sensor ($150?), air conditioning compressor ($450) and it needs to be replaced AGAIN (The condensor is bad, TOO.) The bottoms of the inside of two of the four doors have not rusted through ONLY because of the sanding, scraping, priming, etc. that I do yearly. The car goes on sale in three days!!

Favorite Features

The car looks great. The styling attracted me to the car in the first place. The car handles fine and I don't get too tired on long trips. I have always enjoyed driving it.

Suggested Improvements

When you look up the words, "planned obscelence" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of the CAVALIER. Build it better. Period!

95 Chevy Cavalier RF
By Rick Frost

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was surprised how reliable this car has been considering all the horror stories I've heard about GM cars. Only one major repair in the 7 years I've owned it. The solenoid for the transmission failed at 83,000. The car was still driveable, but would get stuck in overdrive on the highway. Engine would then die upon deceleration. Body and paint are still looking like new. Would consider another Cavalier if crash test performance were better.

Nothing but engine problems
By maysi111

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been burning oil since the day I bought it. I used to put a quart of oil in it once a month...now I put a quart in every other day. I made the dealership aware of this problem from the beginning and it was always that the valve cover gasket was leaking....I cannot tell you how many times that has been replaced. The starter has been replaced three times....the car was recalled for the gasket leaking antifreeze and was never correctly fixed. I also add antifreeze as well as oil now. The transmission fluid started leaking a couple of months ago and the air conditioner will cost over $800 to get fixed.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating

Suggested Improvements

make the car more durable