1998 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
Awesome Car
By Ashish on 11/10/09 08:43 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 93K miles. 4 years later it has about 145K miles. In the past 4 years the only things I have replaced is a clutch and a window motor. This is one of the few cars that will pretty much pass everything on the road including the gas station. 11 years later the paint is still shiny, the dash has no cracks, the leather is not beat up. This car is a true testament to GM's build quality.

1998 Z28
By 1998 Z28 on 08/06/09 21:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this Z28 manual 6-speed since 5/98. It has been great and very reliable. Rear wheel drive is the best, front-drive vehicles have too many repairs. I still have not replaced the clutch, the A/C compressor a couple of times, the transmission syncros may be going but need to shift nicely. May buy the new Camaro after the illicit markups are gone. The LS1 is the greatest motor.

Unbelievable
By Ollie on 09/14/08 09:32 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I traded my Mustang GT for this car. I have always been a Mustang guy, and I've owned a few. I couldn't pass on this deal. This car is absolutely amazing. I cannot think of another car that can match the performace of this car for the price. Dollar per HP this car absolutley destroys the Mustang, you pick the year. Short of a supercharged Cobra it cannot be touched. And the SC Cobra better be careful because a slightly modified LS1 makes that a drives race. Stangs are OK but you'll go broke just trying get it to keep up with a stock LS1. No kidding this car literally will dominate 95 percent of the cars you run up against on the street.

Chevrolet at its most excellent
By NateMitch on 05/16/07 10:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Excellent car. Very fun. When I purcased mine I had to change the fuel pump and the gas mileage after that was 24-30 cty-highwy. The car is awesome. You can tell with mine that there was little to no maintinance done to it, but it still is a very excellent car. All of the bugs were worked out in 1 1/2 months. It turned out to be an awesome car. Very fun to drive and reliable.

Amazing car
By Topher on 10/08/06 02:12 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Great economy for a 5.7 liter LS1 V8. I averaged 17mpg and I drive "agressively." The sound system was great, and even with sort of higher mileage, nothing was wrong with the car. It had previously had some leakage at the rear end, but it was sealed and I never heard from it again.

Brilliant Car
By Alan on 06/14/06 00:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I had an old pickup before I owned this car. It got 6 miles to the gallon and I knew I couldn't go for some puny V6 something. After seeing one of my buddy's 2000 Camaro RS I knew it was what I was looking for. I then later found gas mileage was astounding for the Z28 style for the Camaro, considering the engine. The car has mechanical genius written underneath with the LS1 suspension proving nothing is too harsh. The 350 shows acceleration through any gear and no matter what you throw at it, it performance flawlessly.

An Underated monster
By stephen Passio on 02/12/06 08:05 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Throughout the time that I drove my Camaro, I have been nothing but impressed. It has been very reliable, I have had to do nothing to it but service it. It is a sharp looker, A head turner, and fairly comfortable. The interior makes you feel like you are in control of something major. As far as porformance goes, its a long way. The only car on the road you are going to meet that can pass you up is a 97 and up Corvette with a gutsy driver. Oh, and by the way, you can play with a Mustang Cobra without a worry in the world, its not even close. The harder you run this car, the better it performes.

Purely Amazing
By Tim on 08/31/05 21:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Bought used after experiencing buddies SS. Absolutely amazing the exhilarations that this car brings is like nothing I have ever experience. Straight ahead speed and if you lay off the gas through turns it corners better than any sports car on the road. With proper care this car will run for years. As for gas mileage you wouldn't even know that you had a v8 engine (low range from small tank)...plenty of power to get in and out of sticky situations...if you have the opportunity to get this vehicle get it and get it quickly. Don't worry about the resale value, you will not resell this car. Still get compliments on a weekly basis by all types of people...

LS FUN!
By josh on 08/30/05 19:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

So far I have had nothing go wrong with this car. This was and is my dream car, and every day I get in it I feel better than everyone else. I get the best mileage out of anyone else I know with a V8. I could get better if I drove it more conservatively, but that's not what I got this car for. The t-tops help with getting in and out, and the car just looks so good. Chevy couldn't top themselves on this one, so they stopped making them. If you're thinking about getting this car, stop thinking and go get it. Do yourself a favor and buy this car!

My Green Monster
By EE Geek on 06/16/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Bought it new after lots of research. Wow! what a car! Gobs of horses - much more than GM specs. Excellent fuel economy - 30 mpg @ 80-85 mph (18 city). Great handling, yet doesn't wear tires very fast (40K miles per set of Z-rated). Cheap to maintain and absolutely no quality problems. Seats are the most comfortable of any car I've driven - 16 hour trip will not cause neck or back pain. Lots of features for my $22,300: ABS, Monsoon CD, cruise, fog lights, AC, power everything! Excellent dealer support. Mystic Teal color is a cop repellant - never had a ticket in 7 years. Great looks that aren't dated. Best engine of all time (LS1). Please bring it back GM!