1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
GM should listen
By Roberto on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Had an '86 Blazer for 14 years and was great. This one is a major disappointment. Can relate to many of the problems expressed here including replaced multifunction switch, oil lines, idler arm/tie rod joints, torsion bars causing vehicle to lean, engine pings, A/C leaks, air bag light comes on intermittently, rear hatch leaks, etc.

What a Lemon
By Theresa Stephenson on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

This car is in the shop every 3 - 6 months even during the warranty period. We have spend over 4000.00 on repairs since then and now an additional 1500.00 is required. Getting rid of it and will not buy another chevorlet product. My husband says they were drunk when they built my car. Non of my family or friends will buy this product after watching us shell out so much money on such a sorry product. Chevrolet should be ashamed of themselves.

Great Comfort, Terrible Workmanship
By mlpaper on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

While I enjoyed what the SUV offered in comfort, size, and handling, I was disappointed in the quality. Beginning at 3,000 miles, we had the following replaced, speedometer, windshield wiper motor, power chair, handle to recline passenger seat, heating vents (had to remove the dashboard), compass, and rear tire mount handle, among other items. We had problems with the differential fluid leaking, the radiator leaking, and now the heater core. Most of these items were covered under the warranty, but the aggravation and time spent at the dealership were not. While I will always own an SUV, I will never buy another Chevy.

1998 Blazer LT
By Viking9950 on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used from a dealer with 28K miles. Is in excellent condition. Everyone in the family wants to drive it. Traveling through mountain passes in the winter, this vehicle has done very well. Had trouble with wiper motor & front door speakers (replaced both). Fuel economy is pretty good. It pulls our 19' boat with ease. This is only a 4 passenger vehicle.

Want something squeky??
By Thor7775 on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV

I have had my truck for 6 months and had no mechanical problems but hate the interior. It squeks soooo bad inside and havent gotten a chance to fix it.

My Last Blazer
By bboydwil on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Since I have owned: Rebuilt Transmission, Power steering repair, starter repair, etc. Handles on both fronts seats broke off from poor design. Can not see over headrest to see to turn, etc. No overhead back seat light, very dark. Shocks for back hatch window came off. I have a friend who has a 1998 blazer and they dislike it as much as I do. If only I had read this review before I bought my Blazer.

Want a money pit?
By mc on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

New Right front wheel bearing - 55000km New brakes - 60000 km New transmission - 74 000km 4years NO power train warranty BUY JAPANESS NEVER NORTH AMERICAN AGAIN!!!

98 Blazer review
By gmorris on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The car has been very reliable, starting emediately. I had to have to 4 wheel drive worked on because I did not use for over a year. I now try to put it into 4 wheel drive at least 2 times a month. It has been working well. It still feels "tight" after over 88,000 miles and uses no oil. I'm using Amsoil 10-30 and changing oil yearly. Oil still looks almost new after 15000 miles.

Transmission Trouble
By donmac on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Warranty was 3 yr./60m km. At3 1/2 yr. and 65m km. the transmission blew with no warning. Because I had no problems for 3 yr. I didn't buy extended warranty for Can.$2400. It cost me Can.$3600 to replace it. Seals let go and were chewed up. I now have 85m km. and do not trust that I won't have something else go.

Never GM again
By LemonAid on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was a huge disappointment. I bought it very excited. It was nice on the outside and the inside was great. I was extremely happy and loved my Blazer, for about a month. Then the problems came. One after another. I bought the car with only 36k on it, and brought it back to the dealer again and again and again etc.. Problems ranging from switches, seats, blower motor, oil leaking, heater core, water pump, etc. Problem was not always fixed after the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time I brought it back to the dealer.