1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
5 yr. owner of 1997 Blazer
By carrie depoy on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Blazer has been a nice dependable car for last 5 yrs. Would buy another Chevy but looking at other makes at this time. Gas mileage is not the greatest but a prt of being an SUV owner. Do not like hump in front passenger seat on floor. Makes long drives uncomfortable. Minor problems included handles to recline seats both broke, upholstery not holding up well for driver seat(has been replaced), paint on windshield wipers has peeled off. OVerall good vehicle and was happy with purchase.

First 3 years
By mcgringo on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

Bought a new, fully equipped Blazer. First 3 years numerous mechanical, electrical failures: transmission, alternator, A/C, wiper motor, battery, driver's window. Abraham Motors, in Miami,part of Republic Industries,now owned by Maroone, would not honor warranty for transmission failure at 16000 miles. Last two years, it is running well. Probably my last Chevy.

LIke this vehicle alot
By live4ever2002 on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

bought this vehicle used,36000miles,the dealer went right through it.It has 92000 miles on it now with minimal maintence. Realy like this truck very much.very dependable for me.

My review
By canddmeyer on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle til 55,000 miles at which time things broke one after another. Luckily, most were warranty items. I got stuck for the throttle body ($800). Already has had two brake jobs & 2 batteries. My buddies Jeep Cherokee will run circles around my Blazer with better handling & higher ground clearance. The Blazer was the best buy for the $ though & luckily I have a fantastic dealer which was 95% of the reason I purchased the vehicle. Turnaround on repairs is same day 90% of the time. Must get an extended warranty when purchased new. Despite the complaints, it was still the best buy for my $ in 1997, & I'd buy another today unless I'm towing.

OWNER OF SEVERAL BLAZERS
By VINNIE on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

PERFORMANCE,QUALITY, MECHANICAL,INTERIOR,EXTERIOR AND STYLE ARE EXCELLENT, ONLY FLAW IS LOW MILAGE OF FUEL CONSUMPTION OF THE 6 CY.

The Blazer from hell
By Laurie Lemon on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

After 10000 miles had to replace the ball joints and the brakes. drivers door as rattled since day one: can not be repaired. At 30000 miles the pinion seal gasket leaked and was replaced only to have the rear pinion bearing go 30000 miles later. Windshield wiper modular board broke at 40K

1997 2dr blazer
By george junkins on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

my experinece has been very good exept wjen i got stuck in a 5 ft snow drift and had to be towed out be a ford 150 therea nothing in the world that could compare to the driving of my blazer.

Lots of Repairs
By Ken J. on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

At 85k, I had a lower rod bearing come apart and ruined the motor. Rebuilt Delco motor installed costs 5k. At 80k, manifold gaskets had to be replaced since the so called 150000 mile coolant failed. This repair was about 1200 bucks. Many other failures that required lots of out-of-pocket expenses and time in the shop. Once the rebuilt motor is installed, it's history.

Money Drain
By captain hook on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this car new and every thing was fine until the warranty ran out. With about 32000+ miles the fuel pump went out, cost to repair over 900.00, break job on front 300.00 and I believe every seal and gasket has been replaced.The car was back in the shop 2 weeks ago two more leaky gaskets and a cracked serptine belt cost 261.00. All I can say is good by GM hello Subru

Few repairs
By wisp on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

I bought my Blazer new in 97, major repairs so far, 1:after 1500 mi, condensation from AC was leaking into passenger floorboard. Dealer fixed it, said was a grommet in firewall. 0$ 2:8k mi, a fuel injector went out, dealer fixed. 0$ 3: Brake pads at 40k mi 45$ 4:Serpentine belt tensioner broke at about 50k mi. replaced along with belt. 26$ 5:AC compressor went out at 60 kmi 180$ 6:wiper relay module went out at 63k mi 23$ 7:alternator went out at 84k mi. 78$ Ive done all repairs myself except first two. Followed maint. schedule pretty much except for front bearings clean/repack and fuel filter.