Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Excellent for the price.
By tronno22556

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan Special Value 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I paid $7999.02 with taxes, tags, etc a year ago, brand new. Excellent price. I needed a car, and cheap at that. I'm not unhappy with the car or the purchase at all. I put about 17,000 on it delivering pizzas and it performed wonderfully. It's very reliable. Nothing gave out yet, except for the tires. It ate the factory tires bare. New tires had to go on at 21,000 miles. It averaged about 28 MPG delivering pizza, and about 30 to 33 during "normal" driving. The trunk is huge. Easy enough to do my own oil changes and tire rotations. The only mechanic work I've had to hire out is installing the tires on the old rims.

Favorite Features

Price. The big plus here is the price. Daytime running lights.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap-o tires from the factory. Awful. Wore them bald at 21,000 miles. Tough to shift at first, especially into reverse. It seems to have broken in after 15,000 miles though. Kind of ugly. Looks like a Toyota Echo / Geo Metro cross.

Little Surprise
By Helen

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car on impulse since I was driving close 100 miles a day for work and wanted a cheap car. It has turned out to be fun, super reliable with great gas mileage. I have other cars but this is the one I drive most. A great every day car great in the city good on the highway. Seats could use more support for long drive only complaint.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great mileage

Suggested Improvements

Seats need more support

Low cost commute
By Texas Commuter

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $9k in 2005 with only 10k miles on it. I have a 20 mile commute, half highway half city. I get around 32 hwy and 30 average. It started missing in year 3 but new plugs fixed the problem. Also a sensor on the brake pedal broke and would not shift into gear. At 80k replaced the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Ran great. At 137k now it needs some engine repairs. Waiting to hear on cost.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Easy to park. Easy to use controls. Good visibility. Roomier inside than it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest. Cruise control. Bigger cupholders for front passenger.

143K and counting
By brennick

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know what all the bad press is on this car. I bought mine new in June of 2004 and have been totally pleased with it. It handles well, is quite peppy when I'm by myself, and has incredible room both inside (amazing head room) and in the trunk. I get 27-28 mpg in town and have gone over 40 on the highway 40 when I'm solo. With the 5 speed tranny it is a blast to drive in the mountains of Oregon and Idaho. I put a hitch on mine and can comfortably pull a small boat and still get in the low 30's for gas mileage. The only thing I've done is replace the timing belt as routine maintenance and the water pump as my mechanic noticed it was starting to leak just a bit. I love this little car!

Favorite Features

It's a great little car for the money. The 5 speed makes the 1.6 motor perky. Nice stereo with the MP3 player. I like the look of the sedan; the hatchback is ugly. Roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

No arm rest for the driver (that was fixed in later years). And only one cup holder in back. But it is a small car. Intermittent wipers only have one setting.The worst thing is that there is very poor lighting in the back seat.

2004 Chevy Aveo Automatic Sedan
By mtngirl4

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm shocked at all the bad reviews with this car. My hubbie and I bought this car used at a dealership with just under 29,000 km on it. The dealership changed the fuel pump before we bought it (had been sitting in a garage for a while). They only thing that was a problem was in the first year the breaks locked and we had to have it towed. We had to replace all the break pads.

Favorite Features

After 2 years we had an oxygen sensor break causing the car to keep stalling. Cost us $500 to fix it, mostly due to labour. We've now had the Aveo for 3 yrs and have about 99000 km on it. We have just had our timing belt and water pump replaced (no, it didn't break), spark plug and wires replaced. Other than basics like oil and transmission fluid change and replacing tires, we've had to do nothing. Parts are easy to find and relativity cheap. We wanted an inexpensive, basic car that was good on gas. That's what we got. This isn't a high quality car and I don't expect it to run like one. If you do basic maintenance it's fine. I would buy this car again.