2003 Cadillac CTS - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 5-speed Manual - (265 reviews )
Frustrating Problems
By c_rey4 on 03/21/10 06:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 38k miles and a clean CARFAX report. I was very happy with the vehicle until I hit the 58k mile mark. My check engine light came on at this point and I discovered my thermostat quit working. After doing some research online, I found this is an overwhelmingly common issue. Before I got the car in to be repaired, the engine started making a terrible "wobble" noise. All of the bearings went bad on the front of the engine. I decided to replace the thermostat, tensioner pulley, and water pump myself. 5k miles later and my thermostat is bad again. My AC compressor seized at 70k miles as I was driving on the highway. $2k in repairs this year alone and I did the work...

Costly repairs!
By mr.flowers on 03/17/10 19:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I puchased my cts just feb. 17, 2010 from a pretty reliable sounding private dealership. Exactly 1 week later the engine light came on. I bought the car with a warranty so the diagnoses was it need a THERMOSTAT and a WATER (something). $748. That night the light came back on. took it back, left, light came back on. This time the sensors need to be reset. same thing happened. after 4 times with this back and fourth in 2 weeks, I'm next gonna try a back yard mechanic since the dealership can't fix it! Go figure

Bad engineering
By roxnter on 03/09/10 13:29 PM (PST)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have never liked this car, but my wife loves it. Excessive engine noise, makes it sound faster than it is. Very stiff suspension. Fine on curvy roads, but very annoying in town. You feel every bump. Cheap interior and tinny sound when doors close. Just normal repairs until recently when alternator belt failed, chunks of which got under the timing belt throwing off the timing and ruining the engine (bent valves, heads to machine shop & unknown damage to pistons. What kind of cheap engineering allows the timing belt to be dislodged by a alternator belt failure. Should just run out of juice & stop. I was afraid this Caddy was going to do this some day. Last GM product I'll ever own.

CTS 2003 Must buy Warranty
By yperkins10 on 01/04/10 10:47 AM (PST)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

brought my CTS 2003 certified car. Once warranty runs out get rid of car unless you have money to spend. check engine lights keep coming on, dealer state thermostate need to be replaced $1260 because thermostate is on belly of engine and not on top of radiator. Class action suit need to be brought against them for making sure car repairs would be so expensive. Not enough leg room for little kids. car looks like a winner, drives ok. In last 2 mo I have paid out $1500 to correct "steering wheel sensor" $1260 for "thermostat' that should have cost 1/3 of that price. I will never take my car to another dealership. If I can find a warranty co I will take it. I d0 NOT recommend this car

2003 CTS Total Lemon!
By TLT on 01/03/10 16:19 PM (PST)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

About 5 months after I bought my Sports Luxury CTS, it's lived in the shop. I still own it today (2010) but am so ready to put it to sleep! If I had known this, I would have never brought this car!!!

DONT BUY
By notafan on 12/30/09 06:06 AM (PST)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

This car was in the shop all the time I lost count. Literally on the road for no more than 6 months straight before the next repair, timing belt, radiator, transmission work, water pump these are the ones I remember. Love the look and handle of the car but its not worth the headache!

Blue/Silver
By blue max on 12/05/09 19:43 PM (PST)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Car purchased with 9000 miles It was not titled until I purchased it Exec.car. We put over 14000 miles a year car now has 81000 on it. G.M replaced 3 of 4 Good Year tires and didn't help much. Put 4 Bridgestone Pole positions and the car went like it was on rails. Wonderful This car has the Sport Suspension on it ant the wife and I love the way it handles and rides. We drive it hard on long trips and regularly get near 28 miles per gallon.Large trunk with amazing space. Navigation system is not user friendly but gives you lots of other features related to the car. We found a great 2009 CTS and will pick it up in a couple of days. Would have liked to keep it in the family

very happy
By Big Jay on 10/29/09 13:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been excellent. I bought the car use and the performance has been exciting. I do not have any negative issues to report the car is great.

Ready to burn!!
By taedog77 on 10/18/09 01:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this certified pre-own (34K miles)car as a lease turn in and have been regreting it ever since.After 50k miles the car fell apart I've spent over $6k in repairs on this piece of junk and it only has 110k miles on it and it is currently broke down now. The brake lines in the rear rusted out with a repair cost of $1100.The oil pump started leaking at 75k miles. Take my advice STAY AWAY from Cadillac they will screw you in the end and to top it off they issue no recalls for this car at all and they know it has major issues! I REALLY HATE THIS CAR it like a bad marriage and I want OUT!!!

Fun to drive
By Friend on 10/07/09 10:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car and is considering replacing it with a newer CTS model.