Used 1998 Cadillac Catera Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

1998 Cadillac Catera

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (63 reviews )

Keep AWAY from this Car
By LeeinATL

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

This car has been a nightmare since I purchased it! The stack of paper from repair work is as thick as a book. The trade in value for the car is as much as the repairs it needs to be able to trade it. I have spent so much on the car that I could have bought another in the time I have owned it. I was even advised by the head of a local Cadillac dealer to get rid of it. This car has been a nightmare for GM and they are not standing behind it.

Favorite Features

Not one!

Suggested Improvements

With all the problems you can see why Cadillac discontinued the model.

A Piece of Junk
By michella

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I've had my Cadillac Catera for four years and it has been in the shop over 35 times for repairs. This car has been nothing but a pain in the rear and a waste of my money. Cadillac should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the consumers to continue to purchase this vehicle.

Don't buy Catera or any other GM product
By Alex

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

This car has been absolutely terrible. Although the car is a nice drive when running right it rarely runs right. Lucky I bought an extended warranty that has paid more than $10,000 in repair costs. My problems range from a faulty seat heater to a broken transmission and bad control arm bushings. Also, during my frequent dealership visits I have received crappy service. Don't buy this car or anything else GM makes.

Favorite Features

Styling, ride quality, stereo is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality.

Good Ole GM
By ooouch!

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

GM had a recall on water pump and pulleys on this vehicle. At 44,000 miles this was done by my dealership. The failure occured at 61,000 miles. Cadillac said sorry for your luck but it is only warranted for 12 months. I think it would probably have lasted longer if they didn't do the "fix" (and then charged enough to do both repairs). Not a good marketing ploy. My wife wants a new Caddy but it'll be an import now. Thank heavens for Japanese automakers.

Favorite Features

styling

I Love This Car
By Lou Porter

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I have loved every moment I have owned my 1998 Cadillac Catera and I am disappointed that it is no longer available. My previous car was a BMW. My only regret is the car hs only 200 horsepower. However, it performs quite well when I do highway driving.

Favorite Features

The handling is quite good. Though I have nearly 95,000 miles on it, it is still tight and rides well. The interior finish was done well and still looks new.

Suggested Improvements

Give it more power. With an additional 50 horsepower, this would be a fine car indeed.