1998 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Luxury and speed
By mr. schmidt on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Ok the Catera may be Cadilac or is it. The leather seating adds a nice touch but is not very soft. One of the few to offer a v6 with a lot of punch. It's fast off the line and rides smoothly at hwy speeds. Compared to my previous Grand Prix it has more punch but the seating is not as comfortable.

Catera is totally unrealiable
By Heavenly on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I have had my transmission replaced already. The car still seems like its struggling to accellerate. The antifreeze leaks constantly. Imperial Leasing refuses to let me turn the car in early. My mom's friend had one she purchase brand new she had so many problems she got rid of it after 18 months but she took a huge loss because she had put a sizable down payment on it.

Reliable Review 85000 miles and counting
By sandman on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has a safe, well controlled ride that inspires confidence. It is a little expensive to maintain (ie, tires, brakes every 40,000)if you drive alot of miles. It has been very reliable. Maintainence is important with this car!!! I have had several German cars and this 1 is no different. Early models 97's early 98's had some electrical issues. If buying used look for late 98 or newer. Car rivals small BMW, Mercedes if you get one without eletrical glitches. Excellent room comfort and ride. Good used car buy resale is poor due to early eletrical issues. Recall Out for timing belt issue. Be safe change timing belt every 75,000miles.

98 Catera Nice German/American Car.
By MarkJU on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Solid feeling car, handles extremely well, great sound system, well crafted. Conservative style yet classy and understated. Completely overshadows the 1998 ES300 Lexus, or Camery, in luxury and feel but that does not take alot to do with boring Japanese cars in this price range. It may be true that you can drive japanese cars harder only then to toss them away, but if you want a nice car to own and you drive responsibly, Catera is a good choice. A great value in the used market.

98 Catera
By Louise on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

A solid car, reliable and fun to drive. There were a few gliches initially with the AM radio & tires. After those were addressed by the dealer, all has been fine.

german caddy
By qman on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

car is fun to drive.passes better than any other vehicle that I have driven and I have had goats and 5l mustangs. I use mobil1 oil in every thing I drive and all my vehicles are trustworthy.

The '98 Cadillace Catera is a great car!
By gsemaj on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

The car yields a solid ride with a big car feel. It has a usefully tight radius of turn and always feels under control. It does well with regular fuel, with a feeling of plentiful power. Cruising at highway speeds is deceptive, easily achieving high speeds. The cruise control is accurate, easy to use, and very worthwhile at all speeds

So, so
By lidogirl on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

At 5'3", this is the first vehicle that I bought to fit me and not my 6'2" husband. I find the interior perfectly fitted to my stature. I find it fun to drive; it has nice pick up and it's great on curves. I am disappointed in the mechanics of the car. It has been in the shop for malfunctioning power seats, CD, and the serpentine belt broke at 30,000 miles, breaks replaced twice, rotars once, and three sets of tires. The Cadillac dealer tells me that the Catera is hard on tires. At 72,000 miles, the car intermittently refuses to start. This is a Cadillac; it should not have this type of problem at 72,000 miles, especially when I have had all of the scheduled maintenance!!!

tel it
By tel it on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Bought vehicle used, so far only one trouble with coolant leak.Rides good for small car and low profile tires.Has great pickup in traffic and is fun to drive.

this is a worst buy!
By qtbdy1 on 03/12/02 20:03 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I am sorry to say, but the Cadillac Catera lacks on everything. The only thing that cadillac brings to the table with this car is a good sound system. The bose stereo I apreciate but everything else is wack. The city streets for this car is a killer. After having the car for a year and over 11,000 miles that i put on it things start to change. Catera. This is a worst buy. To tell you the truth, everything. Don't buy!!