Used 1991 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

1991 Buick Regal

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

First Car
By tylerj1

1991 Buick Regal Custom 4dr Sedan

Got this car at 17 in 2012 and have loved it. Its incredibly reliable and amazingly comfortable. I put a stereo and Polk Audio speakers in immediately. I have fallen in love with my buick and often tweet about it.

Favorite Features

Incredibly comfortable cruiser and very reliable. There is a lot of interior room and a huge trunk. A full sized spare tire even fits inside the trunk. I drive it everyday in the city and routinely take long trips to either go mountain biking or visit friends at other college campuses. For a 4 hour round trip maxing 66mph I get at least 31mpg with some city driving. Best gas mileage I got was averaging 60mph only on highways for 2 hours and got 35.8mpg. With normal city driving typically get 22 in summer and 20 in winter(live in Wisconsin). The headlights and high beams are INCREDIBLE, plastic is still crystal clear.

Suggested Improvements

Really wish my car had electric windows. That is pretty much the only negative. It does suck that I don't have airbags but to compensate I always wear a sumo suit to protect myself incase someone decides to hit my beautiful buik. #buickswag

Road Car 3800cc V-6
By somerton

1991 Buick Regal Limited 4dr Sedan

This is a "man's car" in that it is very powerful and appeals to those who like to work on their own. I purchased it in 2003 with 112,000 miles and have gone to 175,000 with numerous long distance trips to Cleveland, Jamestown (W. NY), Boston, and Beaufort, SC. Repairs: fuel pump, motor mounts, struts, rear calipers, ign coils, brake hoses, two window motors, wheel bearing, altenator, turn signal/stop light control unit, and several motor mounts. The cost of inspections, maintenance, and repairs has come to $.16/mile over 10 years. The vehicle only cost $1,200 and was not well cared for before I purchased it.

Favorite Features

Great road feel and seating position/visibility. Seats six with bench seat. Full instruments including tach, oil pressure, and voltmeter. A special green light that read "check guages" warned that the altenator had gone bad. A lot of motor (3800cc) in a mid-size. Exceptional mid-range torque/power. Great power in all ranges. Strong-built well! I drove it away after two front end collisions. I rebuilt it after both hits and it probably saved me from serious injury or death in one of them.

Suggested Improvements

Rear caliper design faulty. Front calipers do most of the work requiring new pads & rotors frequently - a simple job for a backyard mechanic. Some things failed more than once: motor/transaxle mounts, turn signal/ stop light control unit; vehicle seems to have some electrical quirks.

My Baby
By shietta1

1991 Buick Regal Limited 4dr Sedan

THIS WAS MY FIRST CAR AND I LOVED IT. THIS CAR WAS SUPER RELIABLE AND IT NEVER LET ME DOWN. I WOULD REALLY RECOMMEND THIS CAR.

What a Keeper
By pablo

1991 Buick Regal Limited 4dr Sedan

My Regal Limited is now 18 years old and with only 97,000 miles on it still runs and drives like new. I think that the 3.8 engine has to be one of the best that GM has ever produced. Just thought it was kind of odd that this car is the Limited but has manual crank windows, but I have learned to live with them. Excellent car that I would recommend to anyone. And the gas mileage is tops.

Favorite Features

3.8 engine smooth running and driving reliable

Best Car I Will Have Ever Owned
By John

1991 Buick Regal Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought the car without really knowing what I was getting. The features were attractive, especially exterior along with the radio controls on the steering wheel, express drivers side windows, comfortable cloth seats, lots of interior space and a large trunk, wire wheel covers, electric remote trunk release, electric retractable antenna, and more. But, what I really came to appreciate, and has been the heart of this car, has been a 3800 V6 Engine w/ TPI. After 265,000 miles I am still happy with the gas mileage, although a broken gasket on the central port just recently was replaced to hopefully return the mileage to 17/27. I laugh at drivers who don't enjoy driving in snow like I do.

Favorite Features

Driving in snow, especially with brand new tires. I bought the car in Aug. 1991, just 2 months before the Halloween snowstorm in MN. I quickly learned how snow does not stop this front wheel drive snowmobile. It is quiet and very comfortable to drive. Only needed repair of normal maintenance items

Suggested Improvements

Wish the glass holder between the front seats, that flipped out of the center arm cushion would have lasted longer. Wish the gas and temp gauges would have lasted longer. Oil change every 3,000 miles and routine maintenance have maintained the engine in good shape. Wish had access to more car info.