2005 Buick Rainier CXL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Rainier - Consumer Reviews

2005 Rainier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Sort Reviews by

Money Pit
By pensketech1

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am the second owner of my Rainier. At 65000 miles, I had to replace my engine due to a cracked head (coolant got in the oil and wiped out my bearings). I am experiencing turning problems at low speeds and now my security light comes on and vehicle will not start. My GM rep. told me I was out of luck when the engine blew, and the repair costed me over $4000 to do myself. GM needs to actually stand behind their vehicles. I have owned GM vehicles all of my life and am no where near satisfied with this one.

Favorite Features

5.3l engine, Leather seats and air suspension

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the Buick line and bring back my Pontiacs

Broken suspension and transmission
By madismommy2004

2005 Buick Rainier CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

For the past 2 years I have been dealing with my suspension,I bought the car at carmax,they fixed the comressor only to find out I need an air bag,and what they couldn't see that the holes in the air bag is what is causing it to sag. And of course I am now out of warranty so I have to pay out of pocket. Now my transmission is slipping and it doesn't want to move faster than 35mph.It won't shift into 3rd gear.What else can go wrong with this car....If I knew what i know now about it I would never have bought it! Oh and warranty parts at carmax SUCKS!6MO OR 6000 MILES WHICH COMES FIRST, HOW ABOUT A YEAR LIKE OTHER PLACES OR DEALERS!

Best automobile I have ever owned
By uscgc

2005 Buick Rainier CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Most trouble free auto I have ever owned. It is quiet and handles well in curves.

Favorite Features

Love the heated seats and the Bose six cd player

Suggested Improvements

Has a tendency to road walk a little.

Buick Rainier: Too many headaches
By nobuicksjim

2005 Buick Rainier CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bad fuel sender. Buick sends a notice to finally to cover 1/2 the repair cost. Too late. Driver's side door handle. Broken twice. Part is engineered to fail. $127 to buy $4 of plastic Rear air suspension problems. This will be the last Buick I ever own.

Love my Rainier
By layla4909

2005 Buick Rainier CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I amazed when I see the bad reviews from people. My Rainier has been so good to me. I love it sooooo much. My husband has always wanted to take it from me and keep it as his own. It handles so well. I feel safe. I know my kids are safe. The ride is so smooth. The sound system is great. For the price, I feel that I have gotten so much more than I paid for. Love it. Love it. Love it. Can't wait to get my next Buick. I am sold and super excited about all the new models Buick is offering. To be honest I always thought Buicks were just for "old people". Forget about it. The new models are hot!! and I can't wait to trade up! Won't be the least bit apprehensive either.

A Buick Truck..Amazing
By Buick Truck????

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The best truck noone ever heard of. Powerful V8, smooth ride, quiet and pure luxury. Everone that gets into this vehicle for the first time tells me what a nice truck this is and when I mention it's a Buick they are astounded.

Favorite Features

The overall experience. Luxury ride, very powerful (V8), quiet and it's an AWD truck. My favorite touch is the air compressor tucked away in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Actually, the negatives for most people are a positive for me. It's has a very plain vanilla look which I prefer. I rather blend in and not stand out when driving. The GPS is not as good as my wifes Lexus.

Awesome Ride
By Dustin

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car is really amazing. You can't expect more for your dollar from an American made SUV. From the powerful responsive engine, to the smooth, silent ride, to the Bose speaker system, I absolutely love this car. I have always loved the ride quality of Buicks, but the Rainier is by far the best it gets (except for the new Enclave which has replaced the Rainier).

Favorite Features

Everything about the car! Heated seats are amazing, awesome ride quality, fantastic 275 hp I6 engine (I6 vortec 4200 top ten reliable engines), Bose premium sound, sun roof, and appealing luxury appearance.

Suggested Improvements

The only bad thing about this car that I wish could be changed is the poor fuel economy. I average between 16-17 MPG, which is ok when gas is just $1.75, but if it goes back up to $4, fuel economy in the teens isn't so exciting. However, the reliability of the vehicle makes up for the cost of fuel

Lemon
By BNA1JJS

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am very concerned with this vehicle. Decided to take a leap into a GMC product in 2005 and made a very costly mistake. Here is a list of the problems I have had with my Buick: Heat shield on manifold loose, fuel sensor bad replaced, steering rack asembly bad replaced, reset toe, misc squeeking front still can't find, wornout idler pully replaced, water pump replaced, rear window fluid sprayer still leaking, rear hatch shocks to weak to hold hatch up still.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and overall styling not bad.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of cabin noise needs more trim around doors & windows, hydraulics horribly noising, gas milage is terrible, also just read the review on mechanical issues.

Love my Rainer
By sally

2005 Buick Rainier CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have own my Rainer for 3 years and love the smooth, quiet driving. But most all I love my satellite radio, I will never go back to listening to AM or FM.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio and seat adjustment controls

Suggested Improvements

Only wish it had a place for a women's purse.

Love it!
By Jennifer

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have been reading about this model for over a year. I was so happy to find a 2005 w/only 1 owner. It also had low miles and looked brand new! Now lets talk about the ride. Love it! It handles well and it is heavy for a short SUV and I feel safe in it.

Favorite Features

AWD, brakes, wheel size, stereo, seat size

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid for gas savings.