Used 2002 Buick Century Custom Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

I wish they still made this car
By midwestmrs

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 Century in late 03. Have loved it ever since. Reliable, quiet, smooth comfortable ride, and has been cheap to own. Just routine maintenance. Not even a muffler. I did have the drivers side power window motor replaced several years ago. Car is now old. 160K miles, rocker panel rust, and things are starting to break. The gas guage has some kind of electrical problem. Hubby and mechanic said it's not worth fixing. It's time to replace the car. I still get 25-27 mpg. That is impossible to match in a car with this kind of comfort and quiet. I wish they still made this model. I test drove a 2011 Lucerne but the backup visibility is terrible for me. Maybe a 2011 LaCrosse or a Camry.

Comfort and quiet. Fuel economy. This is a touring sedan. Do not expect it to drive like a sports car.

Styling. Come on GM. The body style was old and boring when this car was new. Buick needs to hire some younger designers. Brakes have never been very robust, even just after each brake job. That has to be a design thing.

Not bad
By analee101

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Ok I'm 18 so I wasn't thrilled about the looks, but I have to say as far as performance and reliability goes, I'm impressed! It has had to have several things fixed and I have had a few problems with the breaks in the past, but the car is reliable, great stopping ability and can get to high speeds fairly quickly, nothing like a souped up sports car, but its good over my work to school then back home commute. I would definitely recommend!!!

Speed, Reliability, Handiling

Better Brakes

Never again! Shame on you, GM!
By london_bridge

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I treated this car better than any of my previous "rides". After 30 years on the road, I've found I get fewer & fewer miles on GM cars before parts fail. 32,000 and the Intake Manifold Gasket failed. I have a BIG problem with religiously taking my car into dealerships that will only suggest every form of maintenance except the one they know is suspicious. I'm too late for the DEX-COOL suit, but I did have a Chevy (62K) that was eligible. Submitted my documentation and rec'd a form letter that my car was a year older than it was, so it wasn't eligible. I also owned (before dealer exchanged) a Buick Skyhawk that had the same part fail at 40K before I bought it.

This is a wonderful car if you like to sit in it and not be able to drive it. Cozy seating and very roomy. Maybe GM should start manufacturing furniture instead of cars?!

GM needs to address the intake manifold gasket situation and reimburse those of us they've cashed in on. They dec'd to ignore it (and still do) until the DEX-COOL class action suit and then conveniently filed bankruptcy which infuriated their loyal customers. This could have been caught prior to the failure if the 27-point inspection was worth anything. Take your car in every 3-6 mos for scheduled maintenance and following all suggested add'l services, but they won't let you know about a problem part until you have to pay to replace it yourself. Nice way to do business, GM! Buick Customer Care will not help you, but please contact them so we can get them to recall it for this lemon part!

200,000+ and still going
By clrm

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a really reliable one. Have had it 8 years and now has over 200,000 on it. The care is just now giving me trouble. The intake gasket has broken, a transmission valve had to be replace, the dashboard odometer has to be replaced, as well as the selector switch for the heat/ac. Most everything else has ran well. My driver's side window switch has a short in it, but I won't spend the money for the whole panel, when I know it needs only a new switch.

I like the fact that the car is a heavy enough car to feel safer on the Highway than in a "cracker-box" kind of car.

Please quit making parts in such a way that you have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix a $2.00 part. To many things come as a unit ie. the headlights, tail lights, and door/window panel.

Don't buy one!
By hedgeman1

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Every time I breathe this car breaks down. First manifold gaskets, then wheel speed sensor, then speed sensor harness, then a/c goes out then other wheel speed harness, then I have dash lights coming on like a Christmas tree on the dash! Check engine light, service engine light, abs light, traction control light! Digital odometer quit working, gear indicator no longer visible! Its one thing after another! Never ever will buy another one of these! If spent more in repairs in last 3 years then I spent for car!

NONE