1998 BMW Z3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
What A Ride!!!
By T Mc on 10/25/09 12:01 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Bought this used about five years ago. No... REPEAT NO mechanic issues to date. Enjoyable drive, sharp look. In short, I'd buy this car over and over again.

Hot stuff
By les benson on 07/10/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

This is a jazzy car. It looks more like a cartoon car from Roger Rabbit, than a street vehicle. Lows, fuel economy, tired back window. Highs, ride, look, reliability.

Love this car
By Jerry on 03/13/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

This is a keeper. It is fun to drive, has classic looks and seems to work most of the time. I have had to have a seatbelt replaced, replaced one sensor, and had recurrent problems with an annoying buzz in the bass speaker and have problems with one of the electric seat motors. The sound system is weak for a car this nice and the plastic window in the rag top is pretty cheap also. But overall it is a well built fun car. If you find one in good shape buy it and keep it.

Z3
By T Day on 01/03/07 18:39 PM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

I purchased my Z new in 1998 strictly as a toy. It is driven no more than 1000 to 15001 miles per year. I absolutely love how it performs on the back roads. We take it on weekend getaways during the summer and fall looking for challenging roads to use it to its full potential. It is a blast to drive and people who see it always have plenty of comments on how great she looks. Bring the original back!!

My M roadster
By Kevin on 06/14/05 14:35 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

This car is awesome! I purchased the M Roadster version of the Z3 which includes more horsepower(240hp) with a slightly larger 6 cyl. engine and a sportier suspension. The car drives and handles amazingly as if you are glued to the road. The performance is excellent with one flaw being the fast reving when your hard on the gas.the gas milage is decent when your not hard on the driving. The only problem I have had is the amount of room in the cockpit area. Movement is limited but that's what you expect with a 2 seat roadster. The two-tone black and blue leather interior is beautiful and goes very well with the silver paint. If you're looking for a Z3 but want a little more, check out the M!

What driving should profess to be...
By Marc on 02/24/05 10:59 AM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Overall I would rate this car a definite buy with a few caveats. First, take a close look on all the repair work done on this vehicle. As most 1998 Beamers will have over 100,000 miles, I would be aware of what has been done and what is needed to ensure no surprises and fun in the sun. Make sure all 30,000 mileage inspections aII have been performed along with upkeep with the interior and tires. In addition, I would check all BMW's part recall information such as the thermostat replacement. My experience with the Z3 for the last 4+ years has been great. The car has a great engine and I feel the handling is decent. If you do your homework, you'll be very happy...

Fun car to drive
By Thebitz on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

I just bought this car in 10/03 and I absolutely love it! For a 98, it looks and handles great! I test drove it on the west side of Cincy on curvy SR roads and it was an instant sale. The only problem I had was replacing several seals on my convertible top/front windshield, but I guess that should be expected with a 6 yr old convertible. I had to drop $2000 the first month I owned it and now another $500 for a carb sensor, fan or something. I knew the maintenance would be expensive, but that hurt a little. Even with these costs, I still love the car (as long as another $2K bill doesn't come up within a yr)

1998 Z3 2.8 Roadster
By fpfarr on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Best car I ever owned (until I bought my 2001 740iL). Still turns heads today even though it's seven years old. If you have the 17 in. wheels, avoid driving in winter --traction is nil. The 17 in. wheels differentiate the car from others. Engine, drivetrain, fit and finish have been outstanding. Poor air conditioner and stereo --those are the most disappointing features. The absolute exhilarating driving experience makes any flaws minor in comparison. I am extrememly happy with my decision and would buy this car again.

Car Review
By Ben Franklin on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This car is awesome

Reliable
By sparrowhawk on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Not a commuting car, a fun car!