1991 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: E-34 --- The best kept secret

1991 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

E-34 --- The best kept secret !
By Josh S. on

1991 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I've had my 525i for about a year and a half, and have no regrets about the purchase. This car feels like a "real" car. It feels safe and solid, the 2.5 straight six is adequate, and the car handles well. The 50/50 weight distribution is one reason for this. The build quality is outstanding and the design seems straightforward and no-nonsense. It looks timeless, and as a used vehicle, I think one gets a lot for their money with this car. And besides, since this car is designed to be stable at 130 m.p.h., imagine how stable it feels at 70 m.p.h.! Since I enjoy fixing my own vehicles, I consider parts availability and dealership cooperation important. My local dealer has been obliging!

50/50 front/rear weight distribution, 4 wheel disc antilock brakes, solid feel, general look/design (including dash), heated seats, the car is a good value, nice little extras like the trip computer, "anti-strater-grind" ignition key feature, big trunk, and classic, great handling rear drive layout.

The 2.5 six cylinder could use a bit more torque. The car is reliable,but parts can be expensive when compared with other makes. The hood hits the windshield wiper arms when closed- needs some fiddling to fix). Interior parts are well made, but door panel trim can separtate.