Used 2001 Audi A6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi A6 Wagon

2.8 Avant quattro 2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (6 reviews )

Great to drive, horrible to maintain
By Plova

2001 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Where to start ? Bought a 2001 A6 avant in 2006 with 106K on the clock. Car was in very good shape. Within a year started having some issue. Did timing belt replacement which is normal maintenance (about $500 in Audi parts if you do yourself). Have replaced the ABS module, 2 combi (EGR) valves, valve cover gaskets, etc. At 149K had to replace 3 steering arms ($700 at shop). Now transmission is acting up and need to replace at 151K. Still have problems with secondary air system and was told by tech probably carbon build up in intake manifold after all other attempted repairs. Great car to drive but very expensive if you don't do the repairs yourself.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling - fun to drive. For a wagon it is impressive. Quattro system excellent in snow and adverse weather. Good visibility and comfortable. Interior of car is very good build quality - no squeaks or rattles, even after 150K. Very surprised at suspension. Was looking a new shock by Audi tech asked why ? Hardly any bounce after recoil. Instruments intuitive. Has the foundation of a very good car but has too many common failures.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements - in listed format. These failures are very common on the A6(C5) 2.8l platform (99-2001). 1.) ABS brake module (rebuild is about $200) 2.) Instrument panel - driver info center. The pixels almost always fade on every car. 3.)Secondary air system carbon build up problem- this is still an issue with the newer Audis. 4.) Prone to oil leaks, partly due to plugging of the crankcase breather system. 5.) Serviceability - ie. you need to remove the bumper & other parts to service timing belt. If you are going to buy Audi in this model year I would suggest buying a VAG-COM reader to diagnose inevitable check engine light codes. This is a difficult car to work on.

High Maintenance Beauty
By SeattleQD

2001 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Avant wagon. It is beautiful driving and looking car but more expensive than ever to maintain. I purchased the car with 57,000 miles on it and took excellent care of it. I even used premium Mobile oil. The catalytic converter went our at 70,000. I have paid out $5,000.00 in repair costs not including the converter which I never had replaced. If you have money to carry the cost of ownership go for it! The driving experience is like none other.

Favorite Features

Interior design, the quality of the interior materials and trim, leather seats. The car drives like a dream especially on corners. It is a heavy safe car. The Quattro is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Build a reliable car that will last longer and stop draining my purse.

Love my Audi
By My second Audi

2001 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Wonderfully smooth car. A treat to drive, both in the city and on the highway. Lots of space for family, a big dog and luggage. For all of our needs, it is a great car. Previously, I had the Audi A4 sports sedan. Likewise, it was a wonderful car.

Poor quality car
By Edwin

2001 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is our second Audi and like the other one, after 50K we ran into multiple defects (engine failures, electric windows, leaks). Our latest repair at 60K miles, is more than $3K. It's a fun car, but after the free maintenance periods (multiple repairs too, but since it's free maintenance and warranty you tend to brush over these quality issues), the poor quality becomes too much.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality.

A good buy
By Liboz

2001 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

No Problem Still under initial warranty.

Favorite Features

4wd, comfort 50000 miles warranty