Used 2001 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Fun but a PAIN
By bizbinski

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I've got drive a few cars such as a 2005 Caddy STS, a 2008 caddy CTS, a 2012 Buick LaCrosse, 2014 Caddy ATS, and a 2014 Caddy XTS. Honestly the Audi was the best and most fun car to drive. It handles better than all the rest and feels more like a GT car than a fat 4 door sedan. Although it's such a blast to drive the reliability is garbage. I had it for one month before it was having a misfire . After i got that fixed it ran good for a day now it won't stay running. Also the tubing inside is more brittle than glass. Also both cup holders have broke. I've already dropped about $1000 into it but im suspecting to be dropping more in the near future.

Favorite Features

Very quick, comfy interior, Front and rear heated seats, automated rear sunshade.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable engine, more practical cup holders and an improved engine bay.

Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
By __ty__

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Ok, so i bought this car off of my inlaws, who bought it certified with 25k on the odo. After owning it myself for 3 yrs, it now has 155k on it. It runs smoothly and effortlessly on the freeway and in and out of traffic around town. A pleasure to drive in all types of weather. Sure-footed confidence in rain, snow & ice. I put 4 studded snow tires on it each winter and have no trouble climbing any WV mountains! Amazing. I repair most things that break myself to keep repairs down to a minimum. 1 yr ago the timing chain guide rail (plastic), broke and cost me a new head! I did most of the work myself with a friend. That one set me back $1,000. A fluke I suppose...gas mileage is so-so.

Favorite Features

Quattro (AWD). Interior is beautiful. Very nice, settled ride at all times. Huge trunk. Roomy back seat. Bose CD/radio is still sounding great.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles freeze in winter and doors will not close. Window switches wear quickly. Exterior design is a bit too sterile. Engine seals begin to leak around 90k & require pulling all 4 cams out to replace. A little ridiculous to me. FUEL MILEAGE: 16-19 city/22-26 hwy have been my averages (My dad's AWD twin-turbo BMW gets better mileage and is MUCH quicker than this car)

Buy something else
By btheo

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I think my father summed up this car perfectly when he said this car is great... up until 80k miles. Yes, the car has exceptional awd power, fun in the winter along with luxury styling. However the designing of this car is terrible and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. When my 2.7t's alternator went out it took an entire day to replace. You have to take the front end off just to locate. It's ridiculous!!! the 2.7t is designed to have an extended stay at the mechanic. Over 100 sensors will cause the CEL to appear. In summary, this car is like someone else's pet; its fun to play with, it will make laugh at times but i rather not want to keep it.

Favorite Features

Six speed AWD. Small Bi turbos allow for quick boost.

Suggested Improvements

Enlarge the vehicle's engine bay.

Fun to drive, but expensive
By Eric

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car in '04 as a CPO'd car for my wife. Love the 2.7T engine, a blast of a car to drive. Comfortable ride. The downside, expensive to repair, seems every year that we've had it, and especially since the warranties ran out, we've had a $1,500 + repair bill for the year. Recently found that the trans needs work, hopefully this will be the last major item to repair for a long time. We bought the car with only 33,000 on it, we've put maybe 36,000 more miles in 6 yrs.

Favorite Features

twin turbo V6, AWD

Electrical nightmare
By Darren

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife in 2005. We loved it. We babied it in our garage. I was careful when I wash it. We took it for a drive south down to Vegas. We started having lots of electrical problems. I thought that German cars were the best of the best. Maybe not!! The spot lights, I was fixing, once a week and then the dash display led pin lighting started to go. Then I had other engine lights come on. I went to the Audi dealer in Kelowna and asked what the would be the cost of repairing the dash and it was almost $2000. I fixed what I could and quickly sold the car to a young lady( feeling very guilty). I would never buy another Audi or Vw product again. There is no quality.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride and fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the electrical problems. Test your cars in the field before you sell them. Learn off Honda and Nissan.