1997 Audi A4 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

1997 A4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Sort Reviews by

Sure isn't a Honda or Toyota!!
By cpr8

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A4 used about a year ago, and I have fallen in love! There is no other used car out there that can match the fun to drive, reliability, build quality, or fuel economy for that matter. I can manage around 20-24 around town, and at most 28 on the highway, that's pretty good, considering its a 15 year old car with 215,000 miles on it, with a V6, and Quattro. Like I said, it has 215,000, and it still runs like a dream. The only problem I have had with it is an EGR code always popping up, I went thru the whole EGR system, and couldn't find anything. Turns out it was the filler hose on the gas tank, sense it also leaked when I filled it up.

Favorite Features

Definitely the hallmarks of Audi, their absolutely fantastically well laid out interiors, and the build quality of them, amazing. Like I said, 215,000 miles, 15 years old, and not a single rattle or squeak. The other, has to be Quattro. I know I don't take full advantage of it, but I love to go around a corner at 50 mph, and not have to worry about a thing, because I know the Quattro will keep my right on track. I also LOVE the 5-Speed. This car WOULD NOT be the same with the automatic. After owning this car, I promised myself that I would never own an automatic, EVER. There is also a surprising amount of space in the trunk too, as in, it's almost as big as my grandparent's Town Car's trunk.

Suggested Improvements

If there is one thing I don't like, its the stupid center console. The top is held on by two little hinges that stick into the side of the console, and it's constantly breaking. In fact it's a good thing they redesigned the whole center console in the newer cars, because the whole thing was just way too flimsy. My brother had a 2003 Jetta, and it was the same center console. It "recommends" Premium, but I just blew it off, why would I use Premium when I don't have to? Well, out of the blue one day, I decided to use Premium, I saw a large jump in both performance, and fuel economy. Plus, the A/C KILLS the fuel economy. I only turn it on once a month now, just to keep it working.

A4 ......my few words........eulogy
By a4fan1

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I would say I gave my everything to this car, The car absolutely is a blast to drive , excellent winter vehicle and is a head turner. As a loyal audi fanatic , I have poured a great deal of money into the car, but, at 120,000 miles everything just started to go one week after another, I dont think I went 1000 miles between repairs. When no maintinence is needed, its a top notch, safe car, but overall I would say if reliability was a centerpoint for you, not a good bet for a used vehicle.I finally gave in and sold mine after years of ownership. That said I still would buy another one .....want my reason?.........Test drive one :)

Favorite Features

manual shift.....all wheel drive.....design, superb handling.......comfort...

Suggested Improvements

improve long term durabilty........

Expensive repairs
By spotmaker

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Paid about $6200. for the A4 2.8 quattro 6 cylinder. Engine seized about a year later, cost $5,500 to replace with a used 50,000 mile engine. A/C just packed it in, at the tune of $2,200 to fix. Drivers door window falls into door. LED's on stereo are mostly burned out. Very annoying buzz from rear wheels.

Favorite Features

Style and materials are nice, handling and power.

Suggested Improvements

Easier to service and fix.

Should have sold it.
By M

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

This review is cathartic because who cares about this car anymore. Up until 45-50K it was okay as far as maintenance and repairs are concerned. After that look out. It's like a bad marriage you hope and deceive yourself into believing it will get better..and it doesn't. I could have bought another car with the amount of money spent on repairs. It's not just the cost but the repeated occurrences. The dealerships are horrible and AUDI USA is even worse. I will never again own an Audi unless its given to me, because then the cost of repairs will be like I purchased it. It shouldn't cost me the price of 2 cars to own one.

Suggested Improvements

Everything Mechanically and Electrical

I'll never buy an Audi again. Stay away.
By Charlie

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car mainly because of the look. I still love the look. It's too bad the rest of the car doesn't hold up. These cars are finicky. If you don't use synthetic oil you are asking for trouble. My car is dead after 150k miles due to oil sludge - which is sad for a car built in the 90s. I gave it regular 3k oil changes, but I used normal oil. That's only part of the problem. This car was in the garage every 6 months for this, that and the other. Expensive suspension failures, Cat converters going out, water pump, cracked fluid reservoirs, valve gasket leak, etc., etc., etc. Come on Audi - have some pride.

Favorite Features

The look and the tight handling. The car would drive straight as an arrow without my hand on the wheel. The interior was also nice.

Suggested Improvements

The car was a gas guzzler, and slow. Audi should pick one of the two: either improve reliability or pick cheaper components.

Very Reliable
By cshaner

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car when it had 125k miles on it and have put 30k on it in two years. The only thing that has needed replacement is the tires. I live in Idaho so I see more snow than most cars do and it handles amazing in any weather.

Favorite Features

Engine and Quattro, amazing on Sunday drives and trips up to the ski hill.

Suggested Improvements

Yes the cup holders but this car is made in Germany where nothing is supposed to compromise the driving experience. Unlike in America where if it can't fit a big gulp it's too small.

Summary
By Turk

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Here is my two cents after putting 50K on my A4 which I purchased at 120K. Very reliable engine, manual transmission (same OEM clutch at 170K), no major electrical problems. What has failed, cruise control, driver side heated seat, thermostat. I believe overall it is a very reliable car, sensors that I have replaced along the way are just the same on all cars these days, all made by BOSCH and it doesn't make a difference which brand you drive. In terms of interior/exterior design, ergonomics and build quality Audi is never any less than other Germans and maybe much better in some of these areas if not all. The up side is because of its reputation here in USA, you can get them much cheaper!!

Favorite Features

Design, reliability, affordability (second hand)

Suggested Improvements

Electrical components, nobody can fix those, be sure to properly test all components before you buy. Turbo versions require more frequent repairs/maintenances and turbo itself fails around 70-90K. Go with the non turbo!

I love my 1997 Audi A4
By Joy

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Audi in 1996 and drove it every day until I retired in 2002. It's great. It's been 100% reliable. It's a 5 speed stick shift red sedan. I use to put lots of miles on it commuting to work and visiting family 4 hours away. Now my life style has changed and my car is still thrilling to drive. It sits for days when I don't drive it and it still drives like a charm when I use it. I'd buy this car again and again and again.

Favorite Features

There are two things I love about this car. It's looks and it's reliability. Oh and did I mention it's fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

none

Brilliant
By AudiFan

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after its 11th birthday, It had a very hard life before I bought it. But a bit of TLC took care of that. Even though I spent a lot of money on her, What she ended up costing me in total was still a bargain. I would rather have looked at a newer model if I could afford one, But the fact is it has served me well and will continue to do so.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, performance, braking all in all a great car.

Suggested Improvements

None to report on as yet

Good Car, Average Reliability
By Timlars

1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car worked well, but we had a number of small issues with it. The drivers side window repeatedly slipped off the track, the transmission has been not shifting as crisp as it should. Its a good car if you get on that has been taken care of. Handles well, but there is a lack of power. AWD system works great in MN winters. Would buy this car again, but make sure the timing belt has been changed!!! If it isn't, you can bend a valve and it will be $3000 later before it will be back on the road.

Favorite Features

AWD, car feels light and somewhat agile, great suspension over rough roads.

Suggested Improvements

More rear legroom, more power