Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Road well traveled!
By Alex Levine

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car. Great mileage. All around fun veh., top up or down. Very dependable.

Cute Car - prepare for many repairs!
By Dixie West

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I should have learned - this is my 6th Beetle and I wanted a red convertible! Above and beyond the normal service costs, something is always going wrong and rarely is the invoice under $1,000. I average $2,500 per year in repairs! Headlights failed last year and that was $1,300 as the entire assembly needs to be replaced. I get many compliments on how nice it looks...appearance can be very expensive - make sure you have a thorough inspection before you decide to purchase.

It's showing signs of age
By Joan Crawford

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This was my first car, I've had it for two years. I paid $9k, turns out the car is only worth about $2k. The car runs very well, very stable and smooth and is great on the highway and city, very good gas mileage, it lasts for a long time, the tank lasts maybe 300 miles and only costs $25 to fill up! It goes pretty fast to me and stops very fast too. It makes a good winter car too! Great defrosters and with new all season tires it has never gotten stuck in the snow! The heated seats get super hot too! The only time it's had issues in the snow was when the tires were more than 4 years old. Right now though, it's having some minor issues. It still starts right up and runs everyday, however right now the trunk will not rise open, the interior plastic on the doors are cracking, the glovebox handle and center console handle have broken off, the dash lights for the heat will not turn on, the front headlights are loose and there's a bunch of annoying electrical things like it sounds like the blinker is on but isn't, the car doesn't make any noise if you leave the keys in, the windows sometimes don't move automatically and there's this oil leak under the car no one can fix . I really take good care of this car, I am not rough on it, but I feel like now I have to drive my other cars because it Seems like more and more things are breaking on it, it's minor things but still. It is a good car though, reliable, zippy and runs (which is the most important thing!). But if you check safety ratings, this is not the safest car and defiantly not a good first car due to blind spots and the safety ratings and also volkswagen isn't known for being a very good brand. But my specific car has been very good but I wouldn't recommend spending what I spent on this car or getting any other volkswagen car.

Steer Away If You Want a Safe Car
By Hayley

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Black Tie Edition 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am 19 years old and received this car as a birthday present less than 2 years ago, the car seemed great at first running fantastically until small little headaches started happening. First it was my keys getting stuck in the ignition when trying to turn the car off, i couldn't even go to class that day because i couldn't turn the car off. Then it was the multiple windows breaking in the car that would go down but then not come up (driver, passenger side, and driver's back window). The car did fairly well in the snow, coming from Connecticut we get our fair share- the car has good control but there's absolutely no weight to the car so i found myself skidding and struggling to get up hills. My last experience with this car was the accident i got in it about a week ago. I rear ended the back of a pick up truck on the highway going 40 miles per hour, easy to say my car was totaled. It was a horrifying experience because i felt no security in the car whatsoever when getting into the accident, there's so little to the car if i hit any harder the entire front of my car would've been gone probably. It's a cute, fun summer car that's nice to drive around if you live in the right conditions. But please take this from me, if you're considering buying your child this car, PLEASE look into better safety features. This car has absolutely no protection to it if you were to get in a serious accident.

Love my Beetle!
By karmagirl7

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I absolutely LOVE this car! The only weird thing is the crayon smell in the car, but everything else is awesome! I love the entertainment package and the MP3 option, when I am bored wtih everything else. This car handles like a champ - I feel like I am in a true high performance vehicle.

The entertainment package and the ease to drop the top!

Get rid of the funky smell!