Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Faithful, economical little commuter
By Vi Hook

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

30 mpg in town, 40 mpg on the highway currently. No power-anything; it practically came without options except a heater and windshield wipers, but everything it did come with still works perfectly. It was 4 years old when I bought it used, and had been severely neglected (they let the oil turn to tar and let the levels stay low) but with an immediate oil change and regular maintenance since then, the little car has always run like a trooper with no major repairs needed, even though it is now 14 years old. Not very comfortable seats, and it's hard to get out of the back seat of a coupe, so it's best for the commuter, not the whole family. However, I'm 5'6" and I can more easily get back there to help my toddler in and out of the car seat in back in the Echo than I can in other 2-door cars, because of the height of the cabin shape.

40 mpg! Im sold...
By Mirson

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not much leg room which makes it uncomfortable on long rides

Little Reliable
By Patti

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 90k miles, sold around 110k because was moving (otherwise would have kept it). I bought it after owning a little honda civic, so a couple differences became apparent. I had a manual, and the shifting on the Echo was definitely clunkier. It worked, but had nowhere near the finesse of the Honda. I did like the seat height, it made the car easy to get in and out of, much better than the civic that way. Also liked the windows, felt like I could see so much more in the Echo. I never had a problem with this car all the time that I owned it, and it got excellent fuel economy, previous owner quoted me 37 mixed city/highway, and I know on road trips the fuel economy was out-of-this-world unbelievable. The car was not very good on snow and ice. Probably the short/narrow wheelbase and light weight, but it's squirrely as hell on icy roads (this is in comparison to other little cars).

232951 miles and still going and going
By cyrus

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

purchased it used with over 92k.miles and and added 140k.miles with no major problems(every 4k.miles oil&filter and 3 sets of tires &2 tune ups)I love this car i have 2 cars but this is the one i mostly drive due mpg (average 42mpg city&hwy ) this one is a keeper for its life or my life.

Wish I could buy another
By kag

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 seats 5 adults, has a huge trunk, and is small on the outside. I have a manual and drive conservatively, and have averaged 49 mpg on mixed driving over the last 12 years. At 246,000, I had my first age related repair - a wheel bearing, then a resonator at 270,000. Otherwise, oil changes, battery and tires, plugs, and it just goes.

Professional reviewers complain about the styling, but I love the big windows, headroom, and storage space that includes two glove compartments, two cubbies, a driver side shelf and passenger side drawer. The trunk, holding 6 suitcases plus more, is bigger than most intermediate cars. The wonderful center console is never blocked by the steering wheel and reduces nighttime glare.