Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Less than what we expected
By Paul Edwards

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had to replace the battery. The controls are not as easy as Toyota's. It's an OK vehicle, but we hoped for more.

Such a love/hate relationship
By Cameron

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

First off, we love our subie. She gets us where we need to go. Never complains and never fails to do so. I'll admit, I graduated from the Subaru class of the early 2000s when the engines were crap and I wanted to drive the car off a cliff for the insurance money. I was hesitant to get anther but my wife insisted that we get something safe and reliable. Alas, we settled on a 2013 certified pre-owned and have been more than pleased. Sure, it has its quirks. MPG is not the greatest but we live in the city. On the highway she purrs like a kitten and gets us roughly 30-32 MPG. Bear in mind that we use non-ethanol gas. We had a funky issue with a brake light sensor going out and it totally confused the brain of the car and wouldn't let us shift out of park. However, I took it to the dealership and they knew right away what the issue was and resolved quickly. There could definitely be more legroom for a 6'1" 250lb dude but my wife fits in perfectly. It does blow my mind there is no cargo light in the trunk. The hate part is that their expensive to maintain. Will be buy another crosstrek? bet your <span style="color: rgb(38, 50, 56); font-family: Roboto, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; white-space: normal;">[non-permissible content removed]</span> we will. The 2018s are good lookin. For now, we're not ready to retire 2013. She's got 75,000 miles and still runnin' like a champ.

transmission failed at 113,000
By Todd

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

don't buy this car. Bought it new and transmission failed. I did all the preventive maintenance. Should have learned from my 1st Subaru that died on me at 110,000 miles. I will be buying a rav4 now because I have lost thousands of dollars. The cost to fix the transmission would be 3 grand. no way jose

Great starter car
By Joe Goss

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty basic on the technology side, drive great for having such a small engine, great fuel economy. Not sure why it's called premium when there is nothing below it. However I'm very happy with it. Have always owned Subarus and will continue to do so.

Wish I had considered this purchase more carefully
By CC

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

While I liked the appearance and style of this small crossover, it is not nearly at the level I expect from a car so well considered by so many. What do they see in this car that I do not? Far from spacious, there is not much room in here. It is not very comfortable to drive, even with the premium leather interior, no where to rest your elbows really. There is a very flimsy layer of carpet in the trunk area, carries over when you fold the seats down, the carpet actually sags on the support bars. The leather is also paper thin on the arm rest and already ripped. The loud ungodly blowers of the heating/air climate control system are terrible and I can't make business calls when I am driving because of the background noise. I wind up saying what?? the whole time. This is a hard pill to swallow. The 33 MPG highway...sounds super inflated and I have never see milage that good, even though 80% of my driving is on the highway. The worst thing about this car is how I work out of my trunk and I can not see anything at night...never even gave it a thought about how important A LIGHT WOULD BE in a trunk, nor did I ever think to check really when I bought it...a hatchback with no light in the back!!! It's a bizarre shortcut. It annoys me to no end that I need a flashlight to prepare for my day/bring product for work in and out of the car. Why did Subaru make a car with no interior hatch lighting? It is not going to win any races, but I could live with that if it had great gas milage. I had a Volvo XC previously, so when other reviews said this car is great in the snow...I believed them. Not so, I have had more white knuckled trips in this feather weight...not to mention you need running speed to make it up hills since it is so light. My Volvo could have pushed this little guy up the hills! It ate snowstorms and spit them out. Bottom line: I'm not a big believer in reviews after reading this car's. Did I mention the paint will come off if you lean against it? It had 2 large rust spots on the roof already before it hit 40k, and chips all over it that I had a detailer fill. He said he filled 55 chip marks, pebbles on the road take the paint off this car. So disappointing. Can't wait to unload it. Sorry Subaru, this is a fail.