Used 2014 Ram 2500 Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ram 2500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2500 model:

AVOID
By UNHAPPY

2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this truck new, I have had numerous recalls, one still waiting for resolution from Chrysler, 7 transmission leaks, each time it's something different. Contacted Chrysler, they call within days of repair, asking if it was completed and if I am happy, it usually take a week for the leak to appear, they just want to close the issue and move on, it is rediculus, i will never by a Chrysler product again, they should have bought the truck back, by the way it has the 6.4 Hemi

This truck far out performs my 6.0L Ford
By Mike

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Love this truck, pulls great, rides great, much better mileage then my previous trucks.

Great Truck
By Eric

2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned this truck for a little over a year now. It's a Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Mega Cab with the Cummins and I bought it with around 106k miles. Before I purchased the truck I was able to scroll through the electronic dash menu and find out a few things about how the truck was used before purchasing it. I also bought it from the dealership that initially sold it and they knew the history and the person who owned it. I then felt comfortable buying it. THE GOOD: I love the electronics the truck has especially the Uconnect infotainment system. Mine came with the larger screen and an instrument cluster screen which allowed me to program what I wanted to appear on the screen. There are also plenty of analog gauges which allowed me to program the screen to show things like turbo boost and tranny temps among others. Mine didn't come with the Pioneer sound system but it still sounds good. My phone connects flawlessly with the Uconnect system and I have no problem hearing others and they can hear me as well. The new update is taking a bit of time to get used to. Seems like there's a separate volume level for music, blue tooth music and phone calls. I don't have the GPS on my system but for $400 I can add it. I use my phone. The ride is GREAT. It's much smoother than any other 3/4 ton truck I've owned and I'm sure it's because of the 5 link rear suspension. The mega cab offers tons of room but there's no floor storage like on the regular crew cab trucks. There is, however, nice storage behind the rear seat. Tons of room in the front seats too. I'm 6'3" and around 220 lbs and I fit fine anywhere in the truck. Mine has the movable gas and brake pedal option which my wife likes. The truck also pulls like there's no tomorrow. It's very powerful and I like the exhaust brake and it seems to work better than the other manufacturer trucks of the same type. Ram's goose neck ball works great. THE BAD: I had to replace the rear NoX sensor. I did this easily myself but it was $450 for the part. I tried ordering a cheaper one from Amazon but it wouldn't plug in correctly. The fuel filters, there's two, are pricey at around $100 for the pair. After the hassle of doing it myself and saving $100 I decided to have someone else do it next time. The owner before me had airbags installed on the rear suspension. I'm glad he did because my truck did some serious "bouncing" while pulling my 10k lb 5-wheel. My older 2002 Duramax didn't do this. I'm wondering if it's because of the new suspension design or maybe I need new shocks. I'll be installing some before the camping season begins. Inflating the airbags to around 50 lbs fixed the problem but lifted the rear of the truck up high enough to cause me some concern as to how close my bed rails were to the trailer. I ended up flipping the trailer axles which made things much better. Makes me wonder if newer trucks just have higher bed rails The tranny must have been programmed for mileage because I can drive down a side street at 35 mph in 5th gear at 900 rpm. This drives me crazy. I prefer driving the truck in tow/haul mode but I'm not sure if it's good for the tranny to do that continually without a load. The tranny also "flares" or "de-powers" between shifts in the upper gears. Everyone I talk to, even online, says this is normal. There are upgrades to reduce or eliminate this but it's costly so I'll just deal with it. Also, the truck wants around 70 psi in the rear wheels. This is absurd when not hauling something heavy. I drive with 45 psi in the rear tires which causes a notice on my dash screen to warn me of low rear tire pressure. I now think of it as a pre-driving tire check. I ignore the amber warning light. Also, when it got cold outside I noticed the heater fan squeaked a bit.

Finally got rid of it!
By Cheryl

2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 2014 Ram Megacab Diesel 4x4 brand spanking New figuring that I wouldn't have all the problems my older Rams had...boy was I mistaken. At 32,000 miles the radiator needed replaced and after that it all went downhill. Constantly had the check engine light coming on. Solinoids in the transmission were replaced 6 times and then the computer. Light still kept coming on. I finally had enough and sold it at 77,000 miles. I'll never again own a Ram.

Recalls and Transmission Leaks
By New User

2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Multiple recalls, transmission pan leaks, repaired 4 times, 2 different dealers. 6.4 HEMI, option was not available above.