Used 2016 Nissan Titan XD Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Nissan Titan XD Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Titan XD model:

Bad transmission; Titan in the shop for 4 weeks
By MS

2016 Nissan Titan XD SV 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.6L 8cyl 7A)

My Titan has a terrible, maybe defective transmission, something reported by thousands of owners on Titantalk.com. At 18 months and with only 20,000 miles the truck is down, locked up on the dealership lot, waiting for parts that are backordered and never seem to arrive. They say the engine light code shows a bad control valve assembly and transmission control module. But the truck has been hesitating and lurching and fluttering on acceleration since it had a thousand miles on it, and the dealership said they were aware of the problem but didn't know how to fix it. Now the truck has broken down on the side of the road, we limped it into the local dealership, and Nissan North America still doesn't know when parts can be delivered to the dealership. Its a nightmare. I'm in a crappy rental even though I have a bumper to bumper warranty for 100,000 miles or 5 years. But basically I don't have a truck anymore. Buyer beware. I'll never buy another Nissan truck.

Nissan Wont Help
By Steve Brown

2016 Nissan Titan XD PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I wish I would have read reviews about the 2016 diesel model!! I had a 2006 gasoline Titan and it drove great I had over 200k on it when I gave it someone else. There is something seriously wrong with the new diesel models. Randomly the truck runs ruff and the cab fills with chokingly strong fumes. The truck is averaging 10.5 MPG and the dealership says there nothing they can do! The transmission sucks and shifts horribly!! The parking sensors randomly go off. The DEF sensor has something wrong with it you have to get under the truck to tap it for the alert go off before it shuts the truck down! I am the 3rd owner of a 2016 with less than 10k miles. Dealership says they cant find anything and consumer affairs has stopped responding. We will have to get a lawyer involved!! It is a LEMON DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!

I saw a lemon (lemon law that is)
By William Hovis

2016 Nissan Titan XD SV 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have had Nissan trucks back when the first ones were the D-50 pick up truck from the 90's. I've had quite a few of them for my business and they held up very well. The all new designed Titan XD diesel first came out in 2016 and I just had to have it. Looked great. Unfortunately mine was a lemon. I took the gamble being the first year they came out and lost. In the shop for air conditioning going out 6 times, transmission really jerky shifting, acceleration was almost non existent from a complete stop (serious safety issue in my opinion), and diesel smell in the cabin almost every time it "regenerates". The diesel smell happened about every 2-3 days for about 5 minutes each time. When it did happen it was almost gagging. Have to have the windows down till it cleared out. I've had the truck for 1 1/2 years and decided that was long enough and plenty of time for Nissan to try to fix the problems. With that many problems it was a candidate for the lemon law. With the help of an attorney, Nissan bought back the truck (1/5/2018) and paid me back every penny the truck cost, minus taxes, tag, etc. I have to give credit to Nissan for the buy back without any hassles at all and I feel they were more than generous to complete the transaction. I did speak to the general manager at my local dealer and he said the newer 2017 model diesels have not changed and were possibly going to have problems like I had. I didn't give up on Nissan and purchased a 2017 (new) regular Titan Platinum Reserve edition, GAS engine. I've only had a couple hundred miles but this truck drives like a Cadillac! Extremely smooth riding. Nissan has there work cut out on the Titan XD Diesel trucks still. I've even checked online in the Titan forums and there are hundreds there alone with mostly the diesel smell in the cabin and about half with transmission issues. It's also a very stiff ride (like a tank) compared to the Titan. The biggest problem is this was the first truck that I practically fell in love with, but with some relationships it was time to part ways and say good bye.

A not so great...great truck.
By Paul

2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is a great truck, but Nissan did not make a good effort to ensure that all the technology is functioning 100% with the 2016 models. I am having trouble from cruise control, DEF system, Radio, front suspension, front passenger seat, transmission slip and hard shift to remote start. Maybe, just maybe Nissan will come to the party.

Good Work Truck
By Clifford Matthews

2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

What I love most about the truck, is that you get the fuel economy of a diesel in a truck that rides as soft as a 1/2 ton truck. It tows a modest camper very well, is very stable on the road, good in the snow. It is also heavier than competitor's 1 ton trucks, so it handles in a cross wind with a camper very well. Dealerships are still learning how to handle the diesel engines. It has been a routine occurrence where the dealership has not had the diesel tech available, or a lift that could handle the truck. Be prepared for high dealership services costs, ~$350 to $600 every 10,000 miles. I will not be going to dealerships once the warranty expires. It has plenty of power, but not as much as a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The diesel is most advantageous on the highway and towing. Having the engine's maximum torque output at 1,800 RPM makes a big difference during typical driving and towing.