Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

R Class V8
By Stuart SM

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

It's been a great car. The noncommittal minivan in crossover form! Fair warning, the rear doors are quite large and require ample space to open all the way. This has been the best car I've ever driven in the snow and on ice. V8 power, get what you pay for in fuel economy. The interior is Mercedes soft and quiet, no complaints save for some flecking of the silver trim on the steering wheel. Room for days, 6 adults fit comfortably with leg room to spare, surprising I know.
Update. Maintenance is funny and more expensive than even expected from a Mercedes. Many Mercedes only parts. A window switch was twice quoted at over 2k parts and labor. Also, the engine on this vintage required 2 spark plugs per cylinder- the mechanic assured me this was a very short run of that design. For the size and comfort and power we enjoyed- we would not buy again.

A second class action lawsuit is needed for R350
By DL67

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

DO NOT BUY THE R350 !!! It is plagued with problems. To date I have spent $19k on this car and will take a full bath on it. I bought the car used almost a year ago at 97k miles for 12k. I have spent 7k in repairs and was just quoted another $8500 for the latest repair. So far we have replaced the air suspension on both sides, wheel sensors, and camshaft sensor recall. Now the balance shaft needs replacing at the cost of $8500. NO- Absolutely not!!!! There was a class action lawsuit for this exact repair. For this money I could have bough a cheaper but RELIABLE car. Mercedes should be ashamed but they wont. This car is a piece of junk. Steer clear. I am donating it to charity and writing it off on my taxes. Never again Mercedes - I was warned but didn't listen. This is the worst car experience ever in 30 years of owning cars.. Oh and the "leather" isnt even real leather - WTH????

In addition - it is almost impossible to validate needed repairs yourself - bluetooth readers don't catch all MB codes and you cant be sure if a dealer or repair shop are being honest. In our experience - a MB dealership and 2 top rated MB repair shops cherry picked the easiest,most profitable repairs and left the most significant repair on the table (the balance shaft needs replacing at the cost of $8500.) Why? Because they know that most people will draw a line at that repair and they would rather just make a few thousand in fees -rather than haggle/confront a customer over a major repair.

Mercedes knows this piece of garbage is still out on the road and in used car lots - awful product.

Don't buy this car
By Joe

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

If you want a car which will spend a great deal of time in the shop, and cost you thousands of dollars in repair bills, then this is the car for you. These cars are overly complex and prone to break down A LOT. Repairs by Mercedes Dealers are a complete scam. Dealer once tried to charge me 800 dollars to replace thermostat. A simple thermostat!! Since I have owned this vehicle the "airmatic" air suspension went out. ( $ 3,000 to $ 4,000 if Mercedes repaired it ). I opted to replace air suspension with coil spring conversion kit, cost me about $ 400. Engine started leaking oil last year, not sure how much this repair will be. Recently the transmission control module went out. I'm at the point that it may be cheaper to just junk it out and buy a Honda.

Love this car
By Rebecca

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought mine at auction so there were a few mechanical repairs needed to be made right off the bat. With those taken car of (issues with shifting and an oil leak) a few other items have come up to repair. My automatic back door broke and is no longer automatic and does not lock and one of my headlights broke electrically. Other than that, the comfort is great and it really feels like a luxury car. Anyone that rides in it loves it, there is so much leg room in the front and middle rows. It's a longer SUV than I would prefer, but I've been very happy with it.

R350 Major Engine Repairs
By Steven Wand

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

A class action suit was settled last year for owners of 2006/2007 R350 Mercedes that experienced an major engine problem after 40-50,000 miles. Unfortunately, the local dealer ducked the obligation tell us about any recall or repair requirement, and the judge let Mercedes close out the filing date last year for owners to get reimbursements for these engine repairs. Our losses were $4500 last year and another $5000 this year.....and there were thousands of owners with this problem. For certain, as we have sworn our children, NEVER to purchase a Mercedes product, again.