Used 2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

6 Years of Maintenance Headaches, but still Own It
By Jim A.

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Original owner, vehicle serviced 100% by Mercedes repair/maintenance facilities in San Francisco & Monterey CA. After 50,000 miles, the maintenance problems began, and they are common to many other postings I have seen on the web. Engine oil cooler seals go ($4,000), front wheel bearings leak/go ($3,000), AdBlue Heater goes ($3,000), vehicle loses speed and requires multiple repair visits to finally repair fuel system problem ($2,500), plus regular maintenance that has averaged $1,500 per visit. Vehicle has locked me out twice, battery has unexpectedly drained on several occasions requiring jump-starts, "Check Engine" light goes on way too often, requiring dealership visits. Vehicle itself is a pleasure when it's working properly, but those intervals are getting shorter and shorter. Bought the diesel for power, efficiency and reliability but it's not turing out that way.

Gl550 ccc
By Hasan

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Well warranty wont cover air ride which is shock absorbers and this car has issues with air ride in 65,000 miles I changed all my cost 5000$ i been ridin S class Mercedes all my life never had air ride issues this suv is junk belive me junk Mercedes be ashamed of production and German car i am for sure switching to American built cars snd suvs

Rock Solid So Far
By cyk

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

We purchased a 2011 GL450 with 77k miles for $27k in Jan '15. So far the car has been reliable with the only repair being a set of front pads & rotors that set us back $600. We've racked up 25k miles and in that time have come to a few conclusions. 1) The build quality is not like MB of years past (we've had a few) where the doors had a tank-like closure and this GL feels comparatively "tinny". Materials are also a point of contention in that a car that had an original MSRP of $75k should come standard with leather seating, not the weird feeling MB Tex that comes standard. 2) The ride, while quiet, is heavy handed and feels unrefined over harsher pavement; poor compression damping would be my best description. 3) The engine's power is adequate, but I feel like another 100hp would be just about perfect. Considering the car lives at 8k ft with high gradient roads, an extra 100hp would offset the lack of O2. 4) Aesthetically, the car's exterior has held up quite nicely and still looks relatively new. The paint and trim all continue to have a high luster. 5) The depreciation on these is astounding and makes it a poor choice to purchase new. Our expectation is to run this car well past 200k miles and it has worked better than expected to date. Understanding repair & maintenance costs will be relatively high, the big MB mostly delivers for its intended purpose; i.e. family hauling and comfortable commuting.

Love/Hate Heartbreak
By Schaffs04

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

The GL was a dream come true for me at the beginning. One owner, 2011 GL450 with a clean carfax and good looking maintenance history. Purchased from an MB dealer in April 2015.

On the upside it was incredibly comfortable, fast, elegant, and as capable of hauling 6 adults in comfort to dinner as it was pulling a trailer with 3 tons of rock.

When it was right, it was a thing to behold.

When it went wrong, as it often did, it was like getting kicked in the gut.

In 12 months and 20k miles:

*Front Airmatic failure: $2,450 to repair
*Primary and Secondary Battery Failures: $550 to repair
*Blown underhood fuse panel: $450 to repair.
*Standard maintenance for the year: $800, and that was skipping the spark plugs due at 60k which would have been another $600.

Insult to injury was the depreciation in just one year: close to 40%.

It has gone away and I am back to a nice, reliable, Japanese Infiniti. No need for 7 passenger so I also downsized.

The only way this truck makes sense is if you can either do the work yourself, or have no worries about significant unexpected repairs.

Wanted one for 25 years and after a year with the Benz, I suggest if you want a 7 passenger SUV that can tow, save yourself the heart wrenching experience of a GL and buy a GMC Yukon or Lexus LX570.

What a Luxury SUV Should Be
By Mr. Jim

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

We used to own a GMC Yukon XL Denali. That was a great roomy SUV but frankly it felt like driving a school bus around town, and long trips were kind of draining despite the fact the vehicle was roomy and comfortable. Our GL450 on the other hand has a little less room on the interior, but it is the best SUV I have ever driven. It steers and feels more like a big luxury sedan than a "truck". The seats are comfortable and look almost brand new on a car that is nearly 5 years old. There is plenty of room for our family of 5 and the third seat can be split or both side folded down to give cavernous storage room. The GL450 accelerates very well, brakes great and shifts smoothly.

Some of the controls take a little getting used to and yes, it is a Mercedes so the maintenance can be a bit pricey. That said, we have had nothing major go wrong in the 2 plus years we have owned it. A couple of quirky things required fixing but were covered under the extended warranty we purchased. The GL450 has been really reliable and although the services can be costly, we always get a loaner and are treated with tremendous respect and courtesy by the Mercedes service staff. I think a lot of folks don't consider the loaner value when they complain about the cost of repairs. When I get our Ford or Buick fixed I'm usually out anywhere from $50-$100 to a rental car place.

The GL450 looks great, is a safe and reliable luxury SUV.