2012 Mazda 5 Consumer Review: Wishing I bought a Odyssey or

2012 Mazda 5 - Consumer Review

Sport Passenger Minivan (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Automatic)

Wishing I bought a Odyssey or Sienna
By joyfulgirl_3 on

2012 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Update 01/06/2017
I still have the car. It's got 62K on it. The only repair done was a stabilizer bar for $120 which made it drive like new. Front end was really shaky before. I've done the oil changes, got new tires, and changed front brakes.

Agree with my original review. I think I got a good deal on mine used. I would not pay 18-20K+ for this car.
Driving forward is great. I feel there are a lot of weird blind spots backing up...even w/all the windows.

If you fold the back seats down for what would be normal trunk space in a car, you have only 2 seats in the back (no middle seat).

It is nice you can fold all the seats down and haul items. Fit a small Ikea couch in there, bicycles etc.

I'll drive it til it dies, b/c that's what I do with cars. But, I wouldn't buy it again. It's served it's purpose but could be better.

I can't seem to find where to access the best/worst feature input.
Best:
It's been reliable.
Sliding doors are great for kids so they don't ding other cars.
Easy to park.

Worst:
Seat fabric is cheap. Others have posted similar comments that spills can't be cleaned off.
Panel display is nice looking but the inside of the car seems very cheap/basic. Not looking for luxury but cars I had 15-20 years ago (basic cars) were nicer looking/more solid than this. If anyone pays close to sticker price, I think you could get a much better interior in a base car.
Original tires didn't last long.
Road noise was bad w/original. Much better with Michelins.
Horrible in slick/snow conditions. H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. As in, with new tires, accelerating slowly from stop, very fishy in rain...snow is worse.

Original Post:
I bought a 2012 used with 8.5K. It was flawless except for a stain on the front passenger seat which I have been unable to remove. Another stain is on a back seat that I can't remove. Needs better seat fabric- seems cheap.

I have 2 kids and am finding that as my baby turned into toddler, and with a 9 year old, we are outgrowing the car with backpacks, soccer stuff etc.

If we had another child, there'd be little room for a stroller. No way this car is functional for 4 kids full-time.

Since I bought it, the gas mileage has gone down considerably though it's well maintained by Mazda.

Great to drive forward...seems to have lots of blind spots in spite of all the windows.

• Quality of materials
  • Cargo storage

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review