2012 Mazda 5 Consumer Review: Mini Minivan Impulse

2012 Mazda 5 - Consumer Review

Mini Minivan Impulse
By presappl on

2012 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We were planning to buy the CX-7 when we saw the Mazda 5. While my husband test drove the car, one of my daughter's and I sat in the very back seats and raised our hands like we were on a roller coaster ride -- we had too much fun on the test drive! It is a cute (love the smiling face), fun car, and I love to tell people about our mini minivan's features. The low car height makes it easier for my daughter with disabilities to get in and out. The sliding doors have been very good and helpful in many situations. However, I do wish we had purchased the CX-7 for the height, size, and space. One thing I really appreciate about this car is its performance on inclines. The car is good to go up hills and plateaus, and does not seem to be taxed much at all. Only once in a while, when really taxed, does one have to really accelerate to get the car to maintain a constant speed on a hill.

And while you can raise the driver's seat to make it higher, it is just lacking the SUV feel/height which I miss very much. And even though the transmission seems to do fine going up hills, often on regular roads, the car feels like it needs help shifting into the correct gear. Sometimes I will use the manual shift for a little while and then switch back - sometimes it is better, sometimes it is not. At approximately 50,000, the car needs a second set of brakes, a second set of tires, and a new serpentine belt. The man at the shop said that Mazdas are notorious for going through brakes and tires.

The car seems to be lower and longer than expected which makes it harder for me to park and has resulted in more scrapes to the front bumper. In addition, it is hard to see around parts of the car to actually see out the windows. The placement of some of the corners seems strange. One has to look several different ways to make sure an area is truly clear.

And cosmetically, I have been unable to clean spills on the upholstery. All of the seats have splotches where something has been spilled and "cleaned".
RIGHT after we bought the car, I had to have the driver's seat adjusted as the mechanism by which it scoots front and back (close and far from the steering wheel) was not catching and holding properly. This has now happened to one of the back seats, too. And while trying to work with that chair, the top part of the seat folded down, but the seatbelt attachment/lock beside the seat did not (very common) and the seatbelt attachment broke into many pieces.

• Getting in out
  • Noise and vibration
  • Front seats
  • Cargo storage

• Quality of materials
  • Repair frequency
  • Dealership support
  • Transmission

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review