Used 2016 Lexus ES 300h Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Lexus ES 300h Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (15 reviews )

Sleek and sporty
By Tom Driscoll

2016 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great vehicle ! Exterior appointments are very nice. I would have liked the option of pin striping but am well satisfied with the appearance over all. The interior is very nicely done with quality materials and color selection. Performance so far is great. It is taking some time to figure out how to make the navigation system work but will figure it out.

Could be a forever car
By SJM

2016 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Auto climate control built in without driver control is stupid. The Joystick toggle is cumbersome--a simple touch screen is much better, would save time, and be a lot more safe.

Lexus ES 300h v. Avalon Ltd hybrid
By john sims

2016 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I read the reviews describing the Lexus 300h and Avalon ltd as comparable. I shopped for > 1 yr. I bought because of a good deal (thank you Edmunds for posting the incentives); in August 2016 the incentive on the Lexus was $3500 and the Avalon was $1000. I test drove both cars and here are the differences I think that exist. The Lexus was a little quieter, the sound system a little clearer, the wood finish clearly bamboo wood (and nicely finished), the seats a little more comfortable, and the interior a little bigger. the Lexus Navi system is 1" larger and recessed so it isn't as affected by sunlight. The bad parts of the Lexus are the storage--less trunk space, glove compartment, center console space. it doesn't have the number of "nooks and crannies" that a Toyota does. The Avalon Ltd had these included--plus the rear windowshade. neither trunk passthru works. (the non-hybrid models have a trunk pass thru .) the maintenance cost of the Lexus will be higher; my wife's Sienna has 24 mths free maintenace; the Lexuas has 12. Oh.... the additional "24/7 roadside assistance" on the additional service package is really AAA so just join AAA. compared to my previous car (an 8 yr old Acura RL), the Lexus has worse interior storage, much better mileage, better visibilty / smaller blindspot, and similar size trunk. I had previously thought that the Acura had small storage space! the Lexus' glove compartment, center console have even less storage room than the Acura! the acceleration on the Acura is definitely much better but the hybrid is acceptable. I wish the Lexus ES and/or the Avalon had a AWD AND hybrid model. I guess my biggest surprise disappointment was that I expected more interior storage in the Lexus---especially since our Sienna has so many clever nooks for cup holders, console, etc.

update 7/31/17: I've owned the car 11 months now. it is a comfortable car. the rear seating area is very spacious. my favorite feature, however, is the bluetooth "auto connect and play" feature with my iPhone. after the car starts, it automatically connects and plays whatever audio (music or podcast) through the sound system. this is very convenient and meets my music content needs.

the most frustrating part of ES 300h ownership is not related to the car itself.

it is the Lexus "e-mail reminder" feature which reminds me to service my car depending on the time (estimated mileage) weather (wiper blades in the winter), etc. the worse episode was when it "automatically" made an appointment for me (that I did not request and cancelled by calling person to person) and then sent me an admonishment that "I did not show". Lexus really needs to fully test a software feature before activating it.

the navigation screen does not have as many customization options as the Acura (nor is it as easy to program a route) but it works. the Acura is better suited for "touch controls"---the main navigation screen knob with rotate and press feature is much easier (and IMHO, safer) than the Lexus mouse-like control. Lexus should just provide a touch-screen (like the Sienna, and, I presume, the Avalon) which would be more intuitive.

The blind spot monitor and rear view camera showing the anticipated direction of the car based on the wheel position is helpful, as expected..

update 1/31/18: I forgot to mention that one of the features that I've delighted and still enjoy is the "custom seat" setting. when you get in the car, there is a lot of space between the steering wheel and seat making it very easy to slide in. then when the car starts, the seat slides forward and tilts to your custom settings, making you feel like you're in a spaceship. I still believe the Acura navi system is more ergonomic. I still think the interior storage is poor. the trunk space is acceptable.

update 8/4/18: pleasantly mildly surprised that at low mileage (< 7500 miles/yr), I only need to take it in to dealer to maintain once a year. (helps offset 50% higher cost of maintenance over Toyota; 30% higher than Acura). Acura was a little more specific about what would be done at each service appointment needed; Lexus just says, "needs service maintenance". car is still comfortable, still not enough storage. voice command is hard to learn (haven't learned how to use it; easier to pair phone via bluetooth and use phone to call, etc.)

navigation system needs work; POI is not bad but if not in POI, then need to enter entire address, incl. city. Using the 10 digit phone number to enter POI on the Acura is much, much easier. I had 9am appointment for service; arrived at 8:45; met by initial service rep 8:50, told to sit; didn't meet actual service rep until 9:15. She did estimate 90 min. for service to be done and it was almost 90 min. to the minute.

Changing fan speed

unlike Acura, service waiting area only offers coffee out of a machine and room temp water; Acura had small snacks too.

Comfortable Car - Promised Mileage NOT Obtained
By Craig Zalk, Fairfax VA

2016 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The reason I leased this car was because I wanted a car that delivered a fine ride with terrific gas mileage (claimed at about 40 MPG). What I ended up getting is a car that delivered a fine ride, but the gas mileage was off by about 25% - and that is driving the car as gently as possible while in the most fuel efficient mode – ECO Drive. Don’t get me wrong, this is a nice car, well appointed and delivering a great ride. It is just that the mileage is far, far off from what was promised. I asked the salesman if I could take a car home overnight, and was told “no.” (now I know why he said no). Had I spent more time test driving the car, the MPG truth would have become obvious. Oh well. Next time I will be more vigilant.

Lexus ES 300H
By Peter Pawlak

2016 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driveing expirience is awsome but navigation SUCKS, That joystic is dark ages poorly design ,and you cant operate most of the van while driving,I wont buy Lexus again.