Used 1998 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )

Lexus ES 300
By Karen Surabian

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Great solid car. Have not had to have any repairs done

Love this car
By Amber

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I love my lexus great car lasts forever

Original Owner
By Mouse 1999

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 18 years and I am the original owner. This car still drives like a dream, a smooth quiet ride with wonderful visibility and fantastic acceleration. Lexus keeps on making changes to the ES350 and I prefer the one I own. In California, I have to do a STAR smog check every two years. Sometimes it is border line on the Hydro Carbons at idle speed. This is not a problem if I do a Decarb and Throttle Body Service within a year before the SMOG test, $200 at Lexus. I have had to replace the transmission pan gasket twice in the last five years, due to leaking, $400 to do that at Lexus. A check engine light was from a solenoid which I choose to replace given it was 14 years old. Over the last 8 years, I have driven 32,000 miles and have spent an average of $1100 a year having Lexus service it excluding battery and tires. The radio display has gone black and I live with it that way. The cup holders are flimsy and two of them are broken. The two tone crème/beige paint still looks ok, garage kept. The service at the Lexus dealer is wonderful.

Lexus is the best
By Travis

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Lexus runs for ever all have to do is just the basic maintenance mines have over 297 k on it and still running fine drive it everyday

1998 Lexus still on the move!
By Chelle

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Update: Still driving the car with ZERO problems. It has 313,000 miles on it, I service it at the local Toyota dealership and get the oil changed there every 3,000 miles even though they say you can go 5,000 miles. I love this car...I can't believe it's been over 3 years already. I might have to gift this car to someone, because it's that good of a car. I am looking forward to purchasing a Toyota Highlander Hybrid in the next year or so.

I bought this car used about 2 1/2 yrs ago with 210,000 miles on it. I was not deterred with the mileage at that point, because I knew it would last about 3 yrs and I was completely fine with that and the price point at $1500 asking $2,300 (but it needed a few minor repairs, so price was lowered).

I've been driving this car about 20k miles a year and I have had no problems with the car itself. It has been the best car I've ever owned and with significantly less miles. The car is so quite and runs like a champ. I could drive it another 2 yrs. at least before setting aside for a newer car and I will still keep it as a back-up car, it's too good of a car to sell.

If people are having mechanical issues with the car, it's probably a lack of maintenance on the car. I was guilty of that on my old car (Altima).

I drove this car on long trips several times, which I was a little worried that something might happen but nothing at least 300 miles + road trips one way.

I replace the oil every 3000k miles, burns zero oil and if the oil was low it was 1/4 of a quart low, but I found that to be the quality of oil not the car. I used to use Valvoline oil but recently started going the Toyota dealership and using Mobil 1 5000 (5000 mileage) and I had clean oil and it was full.

I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a $2000 car and even it you put $500 in the car for minor repairs it will pay for itself over and over.

My repair shop said they would buy the car if I did not want it when I had it inspected to purchase :)

Update: Still driving the car, I just hit a new milestone 300k miles on the car! Just had the car serviced at Toyota and zero problems!! Love the car...I will keep it another year and upgrade to a Toyota Highlander hybrid 😀