Used 2005 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Versatile car, fun to drive
By Mary Brezinski

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 104K miles, so I can't give a full review. It had two previous owners before me, and, I believe that if I had owned it from the beginning, it would be in better shape now. For instance, it was not garaged, which led to my biggest problem with it: rust. Unbeknownst to me, who was new to the snowy midwest!, this car had incipient rust (over the rear tires) that I would have been able to detect if I had known what I was doing. Despite my efforts to control it, it has only gotten worse and, well, rust is hopeless. The car has taken to burning oil without an obvious explanation: it doesn't smell or leak but it just disappears between by regular 3,000/mile oil changes, if I have taken a long road trip or if I do a lot of highway driving. Now that it needs new tires and new front brakes, I'm going to buy a new car because it just doesn't seem worth the investment. As far as I can tell, it has no resale value whatsoever. That said, I liked the peppiness of this car, especially the manual transmission. I like the spacious back compartment. I'm not super picky about cars: I mainly want them to turn on when I put the key in, but I really enjoyed the ride of this one, the convenience of the hatchback, and the spaciousness of the cargo area. I replaced the back brakes at 120,000 and the fronts are just now in need of replacement.

Great little car.
By J.D.

2005 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new. What sold me was it, actually, had an ashtray and lighter. But more important was it's tight corner handling and spunky acceleration. You have to know that handling depends a lot on the quality of tires. It was a little squirrelly at 70+mph with a cross wind or highway speeds during the rain. But a set of quality TOYO tires solved all that. It handles like a sports car now. It has a standard trans. And it gets 35mpg without the AC running...about 30mpg with it on through all ranges of driving. During the winter I take out the AC relay, in the under-hood rely box, to prevent the AC from coming on when I turn on the windshield defogger/defroster. I wish there was a switch to turn it off from the inside. The warranty was useless, due to the dealership, There was a broken middle air register when I bought it and it's STILL broken. The cabin blower motor went out at about 6 months. They wanted me to leave the car for a week. I replaced it in about 45 minutes. And I still had to pay for the new motor.
I still have the car now in 2018. It still runs as if it was new. And it's still all original except for tires, brake pads and scheduled (70,000 mile) timing belt replacement. I rode in my daughters 2018 Kia 'Forte' and it seems like just as good-solid car.

Soldier of a car.
By Jsp9890

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with no choice. Mine was stolen, left with little time I bought a 2005 Spectra EX for $3800. It had 98k miles. That was in 2011. I still own it, with 180k+ and she's magnificent. The little 2.0 has power on the highway, without having to go up high in the powerband. The tall gears in the automatic gearing kill performance, manuals are quicker by far. Mine hits 60 in 8.8 seconds with a 4 speed auto, and shes topped out at 126mph. I guess that's about average. The stereo is surprisingly good with a 120 watt 6 speaker setup, as well as interior materials. I previously owned a Honda and Kia is quite close with their quality. I don't care what ANYONE says, Kias are damn good vehicles.

185,000 Miles!! ***UPDATED*** 210,000 miles!!
By Chad Stevens

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 2nd owner of this car. Bought it in 2013 with 160,000 miles for 3k. The car's exterior was in reasonable condition, minor wear and tears,dents and dings. Mechanically she was sound. After a few thousand miles, the radio went, Clutch went, brake caliper froze up, replaced the timing belt.
However, at 160,000 miles those items are expected to be replaced. Since then, everything has been great, except the transmission synchronizers are starting to fail. I still use this car as my daily driver, and commute my daily 48 miles. To date i have 186,458 miles on it. Not bad for KIA. I may just buy another when this one finally decides to rest. And for sake of argument, i drive very spirited.

***Update*** Up to 210,000 miles. a small section of my exhaust rusted off, replaced it for $100. No other mechanical failures yet!!

Reliable, good handling, low mantainance, fun.
By kingwong234

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own one since 2005, after 8+ years, 220,000km it still running great! I'll make it 30kkm+. Changed oxygen sensor last year, new stunt, changed front bearing half year age; brake and rotor.... Never down, just oil change and the timing belt. Cd player fail after 2 yrs, got a new one for free.
Cheap but comfort and quiet. Small outside big inside, big leg room.
Fun to drive, not the best for gas.
Want to find a better car after this one, may be a Camry or KIA again.

Traction control.