Skip to main content
MSRP Starting at
$54,735

Save as much as $1,771
Select your trim:

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2023 Wrangler 4xe, so we've included reviews for other years of the Wrangler 4xe since its last redesign.

Will end up killing you

Ayam De Leon, 08/24/2022
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

Bought this Jeep last August 2021and it has already died on us twice. First time it happened was December last year while my son was driving on the highway the engine just died-all electronics and mechanical- just completely dead, thankfully my son was able to get it on the shoulder and nothing happened to him. Then this past weekend it went dead again despite being charged over nght and being used everyday. The door wouldn't open with the key fob and the engine wouldn't start at all. I gave it a jumpstart and the hybrid battery was charged 99% and the car battery readout was 12.2. We drove it to the jeep dealership where we bought it and it's been there for days and they still can't figure out what's wrong. If I can just give this back I will, It's a nice toy but not worth the hassle and the danger.

Love It

Jay, 04/28/2022
updated 09/08/2022
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

I’ve had mostly BMWs and Audis over the years and cycled through a few TJs and a YJ as a weekend car. I’ve been driving my 4Xe as a daily for 6 weeks now and love it. It’s quiet, comfortable and generally fun to drive. Not a rocket but definitely quick enough to merge. It is loud on the highway and something to consider if you travel long distances. For me and my short commute, it’s perfect. I got 900 miles on my first tank of gas and average 32 MPG in hybrid. With everything going on in the world, it just makes me smile. Is it for everyone? No. Update, 7 months and 3,600 trouble free miles. I also took it offroading and loved the regen braking, quiet ride and torque. Sorry to those having trouble with theirs but still loving mine!

Hybrid scam. Not working as advertised. 20 mpg

Thomas, 04/14/2022
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

The car looks really nice and so far no complaints besides the complete Electric/Hybrid mode being a scam. The car has about 7000 miles on it and refuses to drive in electric mode and even in Hybrid mode, the gas mileage is about 20 mpg - utterly pathetic. Jeep does not care and there are discussions in Jeep forums about a class action lawsuit. Google "4xe electric mode currently unavailable" and you will find pretty much every single 4xe victim complaining about Jeep's scam. Ours will be back at the shop the second time tomorrow and after that, will be returned under the lemon law.

2023 Jeep Rubicon 4xe Does Not Disappoint

Leslie, 02/03/2023
2023 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

Excellent new rig from Jeep. By keeping it in hybrid most of the time I'm averaging 26mpg in city and 30+mpg highway - a major improvement over my old gas powered TJ and JK rigs with their average of 13 mpg on a good day. Engine doesn't feel like I've traded any power for this efficiency, which is fantastic. It took a bit to get used to how the engine sounds, but that's a me problem. You're not going to get that big, powerful Jeep rumble with a PHEV. So far it's been a dream on light trails and on the beach, as well. I haven't tested the towing capacity yet, but expect it will handle my trailer just fine. We have a lot of mixed terrain and slick weather where I live and the Jeep has been stable to drive: hugging the pavement when it's icy, surefooted in snow, good traction in wet sand, and solid on rain-slicked winter roads. It hasn't given me any problems on hills at all, though the real test will be when I go over the pass for the first time. I expect it will handle that well also. One aspect of having a PHEV Jeep that I find delightful is the ability to put it in esave mode and then run on electric once I reach the trailhead. It's been a pleasure to do some light off roading in relative quiet and actually hear nature instead of a loud engine. There is a tradeoff in my gas use efficiency when I do that, of course, but it's worth it. Just like my standard shift Jeeps, I expect choosing the correct dealer is going to make a difference with these Jeeps going forward. With my stick shift TJ and JK, finding a dealer in this decade that still understood stick shifts and their quirks was essential. Now I think finding a dealer that understands the combined complexities of a hybrid engine and a rig built for off road use will be key to owner happiness. My only personal gripe with this Jeep so far has nothing to do with the rig - it's that I detest the color blue ;) Happily, a quick de-badging session this summer when it's not so cold will take care of that. My only broad gripe with this Jeep is the price point! This Rubicon feels like it would be more appropriately priced in the $50K range new but I see it being sold as high as $80K in some areas. Overall, 10/10, absolutely pleased with my purchase. Can't wait to see how the models continue to improve and innovate as Jeep gets more time in the electric vehicle space.

Beware

Brieshep, 04/05/2022
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 8A)

Really great vehicle when it’s working. We bought this vehicle brand new and it still only has 6,000 miles on it. This vehicle has turned off on us while driving, luckily we were on a residential street, turned the vehicle off and on and the computer wouldn’t recognize it was trying to be started. Vehicle could not be put in neutral. Disconnected the battery and let it sit a minute, it started back up and seems like it’s okay at the moment. on another occasional the dash lighting would turn off while driving unable to see mpg . All interior lighting would flicker in and out. In both instances it has only happened one time and that was it. But a little fearful of if and when It may happen again. Other then that it has run fine. It seems the electrical has faults.