Used 2009 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 Every Option Offered
By Craig

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new 01/09 got $6,190 off sticker $32,450. Brilliant Black with Pebble Beige leather interior. This model year has a lifetime drive train warranty from Jeep/Chrysler. Fabulous looking SUV/styling without badges many would think it was a MB. Fit/finish a perfect 10. Engine runs like a Swiss Watch perfectly balanced/quiet. Most passengers unsolicited give rave comments on styling/looks. Low mileage under 35K and garage stored looks like new. Paint job is like day it left factory. All electronics/NAV/blue tooth work perfectly. Mileage is 25 @ 60 mph drops to 23 @ 70 mph. I've replace a heat/AC blender door @$147, antenna mast $15 and just replaced a failed front right caliper (both front sides rotors/pads/calipers $650) 8 Yrs old Florida salt air appears to have corroded caliper pins. Rides well at highway speeds a little rough over bad roads. NO squeaks or rattles. Original 18" tires still have 10K+ miles tread wear left. Change oil/filter every 3,500 miles about to change plugs & transmission flush. This model year has the lowest consumer Liberty complaint issues from 2003 - 2012. Compared to Jeeps newer models this model/year was a steal value. This is my 5th Jeep and by far the best value/quality I've owned.

Safety first
By Sarah

2009 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was in an accident last night in my 2009 Jeep liberty. We are all okay but got hit from the back while we were at a dead stop and the other driver of a E350 van plowed into the back of us sending us into another vehicle. My back window blew out not in, I felt so safe in this vehicle and I would not want to have been in anything else. I'm so happy I bought this vehicle. It was tough and amazing in the snow. The sky slider was good after we had a dealer fix it. If you live in NY NEVER buy a vehicle from Armory Garage in Albany. My air bags did not go off and they should have, but that is okay because it probably would have made things worse. This was my first vehicle ever and probably the best one I have ever had. I highly recommend the jeep liberty.

Comfortable and Stylish Jeep
By DD

2009 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

terrible
By Jen Losurdo

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2009 jeep liberty that I have owned for 2 years. The heater core is shot,the jeep squeaks like every day I drive it, the sunroof leaks and my head liner is completely ruined. This is a piece of junk! Bought it from Drivers Village in Syracuse, ny and they had it back there 3 times to fix all this and never did. They sell lemons don't go there!

Things to know
By herc

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

People say they used to drive a crossover and don't like the Liberty ride. The first thing to know is that the Liberty is a real Jeep. It will not ride like a car based crossover. That said, it actually does pretty darn good on regular roads.

Our Liberty has 90k miles and the drive train has been solid. No squeaks or rattles. Overall our Jeep has been reliable. We've owned Hondas and other brands so being objective here. Items that will likely be a problem sooner or later on the Liberty include automatic climate controller, trans cooler, and totally integrated power module (when this goes bad the car seems haunted). Wife loves driving the Liberty year round. We would buy another one.

Looks like a Jeep should, very useful on or off road, decent towing capability (5000 lbs), and I like that the engine sounds just like the old Slant 6..an engine that almost could not be killed. Our Limited is pretty quiet inside especially for an SUV.

Like every other interior since almost the day Daimler bought Chrysler, the interior materials are cheap plastic in a lot of areas. Fiat is fixing that problem but unfortunately making Jeeps a lot less, well, Jeep-like.