Used 2008 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

No more Jeep products for us !
By steve

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased our '08 Liberty in March of '09 new. We got a great deal with all the incentives. First 60,000 miles were OK. Then the problems started. It leaks in rainwater to the rear cargo area. The power mirrors do longer function. The A/C required a total replacement at 80,000 miles. Now at 90,000 miles the Check Engine Light indicates an electrical failure that causes the engine to rough idle. It is no fun to drive in the rain, even with all season tires the vehicle is unstable. The plastic wheel moldings are coming loose and separating from the body. We are constantly replacing screws and pins to keep the mud flaps on. Windshield washer has ceased to function. Top fuel mileage is 18 MPG Highway. It guzzles fuel in the City. We have maintained this vehicle just as Jeep recommends since new. We anticipated keeping this Jeep for at least 150,000 miles. It now appears we will be correcting the electrical problem and selling ASAP. Having owned Jeeps in the past I really can not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I know it is discontinued. But I doubt very seriously we will ever trust another Jeep product.

NEVER, NEVER AGAIN. Ex-Jeep Fan.....
By John

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned (9) Jeeps over 25 years. (7) Grand Cherokees that were all 4.0 Straight 6 Cylinder Engines, and all were Fantastic. A 1993 went over 425,000 miles, a 1997 went 395,000 miles, and a 1998 went 385,000 miles. The (2) Liberty's that I have owned have been Junk by comparison. The 2002 was the better of the two. But, I began experiencing various Electrical Problems relatively early on, by my mileage standards, which admittedly, might be higher than most. The primary source of the Electrical Problems in both the 2002 and the 2008 Jeep Liberty is the "TIPM", (Totally Integrated Power Module), most would refer to this as the (Engine Compartment Fuse Box or a Power Distribution Center). This is located right by the Battery on both models. It is clearly a Manufacturing Defect. It is the primary source of almost all Electrical Problems with the Jeep Liberty. If you are having unusual electrical problems with this Jeep, take it directly to the dealer and demand that they check out the "TIPM". Be Firm, as they will do everything in their power to deny the problem, and make any form of accommodation to you. Chrysler is a Automaker that I will never deal with again. I gave them every opportunity to address this problem, and they refused. Some of the symptoms that I experienced, that were All Part Of The "TIPM" Malfunction were, Door Lock Malfunctions, Tailgate wouldn't Lock, Windshield Washer Motor wouldn't work, Vehicle wouldn't start when hot. What I mean by Hot is not overheating, but rather driving normally and making a stop for gas, shutting off the engine, and trying to restart it, with no success. The "TIPM" Malfunction will not allow current to flow to the starter, making it appear as if there was no available current at all. And that's just part of the Electrical Problems with the 2008 Jeep Liberty. There are other Problems too Numerous to Mention. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A JEEP. I could have not been a more Loyal Jeep Customer, and told everybody about my Excellent Jeeps of the Past, but Jeep/Chrysler has shown that they really aren't interest in retaining Long-Time Loyal Customers, but would rather find New Customers Instead........

too many electrical issues!
By krystal

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

the motor in the driver window gives out. I think I had it for about 2.5 years. then shortly after, there's a short in the rear window wiper. just starts wiping on it's own. I didn't turn it on and it wont turn off! I would have to pull over and turn off the car and turn it back on a few times hoping to get it to stop. then in late 2015 the cruise control, radio and all the door locks except the driver door stopped working! (including the hatch! can't open the hatch!) I cared for the car as well as I could. regular oil changes and maintenance. full tune up at 4 years. it was never taken off roading. used it to get to work and to home.

Jeep Jeep!
By KT

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

PROS: The '08 redesign was MUCH needed. VERY comfortable and fun to drive. Feels solid like a tank on the highway. Suspension is remarkable. TONS of storage room, compartments for all your shtuff, the radio sounds like a dream, feels powerful and strong yet safe like an American vehicle should!

CONS: Gas mileage isn't very good, but it has a very big gas tank so you don't need to refill as often. Also not very good at making quick sharp turns, feels like it's gonna flip.

Solid as a rock
By E.Roberts

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I would like to say that we have owned our jeep for six years. We bought it with only 30,000 miles and it now has 112,000. We had to replace the heater core about 8 months ago, but this is about it. My wife travels a lot, and has not had any issues at all. This vehicle, has been a great purchase for us. I will say that the interior colors aren't the greatest because the seats are stained and will not come out. Other than that, no problems.