Used 2017 Jaguar XJ Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used XJ for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Superb. Good enough for the Queen

Flyman, 03/08/2019
XJL Supercharged 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl S/C 8A)

The XJL is a big car, with a relatively small trunk - meaning that the space is use by the interior. The rear seats (heated, and cooled as standard, with massage and electronic recline options) are a lovely place to spend a lot of time, and feel opulent and spacious. There are no clamors for 'shotgun' with this car as the rear is just as comfortable as the front. The driver's seat is also a fine place to be - heated, cooled, massage, infinitely adjustable - I can sit there for an 8 hour drive and get out feeling cool, calm and collected. I have the 470HP V8. It is smooth as silk, goes like a rocket, and roars like a Jaguar. I have driven the V6 and find it adequate. Its also coarse to the V8 refined (but some people do prefer the rasp to the roar). I have found with my driving style there is little between the fuel economy as the V6 has to work harder in acceleration, the V8 returns 30mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph because it doesn't have to do anything other than tick over. And if you are spending $100k on a new car do you care about a few bucks a month on fuel?Its way more distinctive, graceful, and good to drive and look at than the BMW 7 or Mercedes S. I'm not familiar with the Audi A8, but for me the only competitor in this segment is the Maserati Quatraport. The Jaguar of old had reliability problems - mine has never been in the shop except for service and note that some years have 5 years free maintenance and 5 years of bumper to bumper warranty which is transferable, making this a ridiculously good value as 2 or 3 year old used car. The navigation, voice recognition and some of the othe technology feels clunky and can be irritating - why make a fabulous car and then tie it up to AT&T for connectivity? (for those who don't know, AT&T has one of the lowest customer satisfaction levels of any US company). The car is excellent and I can't score it less than 5 stars just because it has a complicated navigation system and obsolete 3G AT&T WiFi hotspot! The ride can be transformed to be EVEN SMOOTHER with 18 inch wheels by the way.

Sensors unreliable

Sa, 12/15/2017
XJR LWB 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl S/C 8A)

I purchased my dreamI bought car the end of August. The check fuel cap light came on about 3 times before I reported it. Maintenance assured me that I was the culprit. Then the check engine light came on in November. Took to shop Dec 7, replaced gas cap. Since then, it comes on about everyday. The information screen went black yesterday. Scheduled back to shop Jan 3, 2018. Wish I could get my $90,000 back and by another luxury full size sedan. I love the design and comfort but electronics spoils my experience. Great fuel economy for luxury car.

British Racing Green junkie

L Fossett, 10/20/2017
R-Sport 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

I have owned this 2016 XJ for 10 months. It drives like a sports car and has great fuel economy. I think their may be more practical luxury sedans out there but none any better looking. I love this car and I was a little nervous about buying a Jaguar because of poor press on older models. I've owned Mercedes, Cadillacs and even Corvettes. This is my favorite car ever so far!

Style, Grace and Pace

Slo-Mo-Shun, 05/25/2021
R-Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

After one year and 10,000 miles I remain in awe of how good this automobile is. As perfect a compromise between luxury and performance, grace and pace, as I have ever found. My wife and I fight each other for the keys. So sad that it’s out of production as people continue to move away from sedans and into top-heavy, poor handling SUV’s. The clincher for me was a 2-day sojourn along paved forest service roads winding through the Cascade mountains in southwestern Washington. I apologize to all of the Subarus I surprised while taking 30 mph hairpins at 60 and suddenly winding up on their bumpers. I sympathize with the guy in the Audi S4 who managed to keep up for a few miles before falling behind. My previous Cadillac V-series would have easily defeated the XJ on a race track, but at 80% the Jag is the superior automobile. All while the driver listens to Hayden’s Music for Royal Fireworks, wind noise is a whisper, and the drivetrain runs smooth as a turbine. When not being driven like Jeff Gordon trying to relive his glory days, the XJ delivers safe and luxurious motoring. My closest substantial experience is with a 2017 MB 550 CLS and the Jag wins hands down. The MB feels ponderous, is over-powered, and has too many technology gee-gaws getting in the way of actual driving. The Jag is more connected to the road and seems more concerned with comfort than in impressing the driver with buttons. Skip the V-8. The V-6 has more than enough power. I have an FIA competition license, have driven some crazy fast stuff and trust me, 340 hp is all you need. In mixed driving including substantial inner city commuting we’re seeing about 2 MPG better than the EPA rating. We’ve seen 30 MPG during steady 70 MPH highway cruising. Reliability wise, so far the only niggle has been a piece of rear door trim that kept popping off until the dealer finally farmed the fix out to an upholstery shop. There have been a few technical/software hiccups that were not really break downs but artifacts of software choices forced by the fact that a distracted driver might exit the car thinking it is turned off when actually it is in fuel-saving auto shutoff mode and only seems to be. Thus, when you’re sitting in line for a toll both or at a drive-though and the engine has shut off to save fuel, if you unbuckle your seat belt to get your wallet the software decides the driver is about to leave the car, shuts everything down, and puts the transmission into park. Opps. If you measure your car by whether it sports the latest technology and how well it interfaces with your iPhone, you might look elsewhere. My Jag lacks the “technology package,” so there’s no adaptive cruise control or other “self driving” capability. I don’t miss it. You might. The 835 watt Meridian stereo’s sound is just short of superb, one of the rare factory stereos that I don’t want to immediately rip out and replace (I.e., everything by Bose), but it lacks HD radio and CarPlay. There’s an attempt at app integration with a proprietary Jaguar system, but it’s half-baked and I stopped using it after a few disappointing attempts. The touch screen menu is very responsive—much easier to work with than systems I’ve tried from MB, Audi and Volvo—and the layout is logical. But there isn’t much tech to play with, at least compared to others. On the plus side, the built-in navigation works well and can be linked to the web using your phone’s wireless hot spot. It saved me once on a mountain road when Google Maps got confused but the on-board system knew exactly where I was and where I needed to go. The seats are comfortable for hours and, unlike so many other cars these days, can be set so the headrests are not forcing your head unnaturally forward. Space wise, the XJ shows some compromises borne from the fact that its British, which means it needs to navigate narrower roads. It’s not as wide as you’d think (helpful is some parking spots) but this means less trunk space and shoulder room. The trunk also has an annoying ridge toward the back, apparently to squeeze a couple more gallons into the gas tank, and there’s no pass through to the interior. So on a long trip it should be fine for 3 full sized people, or 2 adults and 2 young kids, but would start feeling cramped after that. Bottom line: If your looking for style, grace and pace this car delivers. Every day. If you don’t really like driving that much and are more interested in playing with your phone and watching movies while pretending to drive, look elsewhere.