Used 2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-TYPE model:

STAY AWAY from Jaguar Land Rover products!!
By Alex Dimitriu

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE S 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

Let me start by saying that this is probably one of a handful of reviews I have ever posted anywhere on the Internet.

Previous cars and trade in. Reasons why.
So I have two Jaguar cars. Both 2016 models, one is a XF 35T, and another is an F Type S with automatic transmission and RWD. The cars are stunning on the outside when you compare them with just about anything on the road, south of $150K. As far as interiors go, the F Type I have is fully loaded with their sport seats and extended leather package. It smells great inside, like a leather factory, and the seats and sitting position is spot on for my 6.0’ height. The XF on the other hand has a very plain and unremarkable interior, and I have the version with the vinyl seats, which are horrible and feel like you are sitting on bubble wrap.
The infotainment systems on both cars are really crappy when comparing with all major competitors, and even with Jeep or Nissan systems.
For the XF we traded in a twelve year old E Class. That car had a more buttoned up interior and nicer overall trim but it was time for a change. BTW it had zero major issues outside of maintenance, some front end ball joints, a fuel tank sender and a brake module (this last one was an expensive repair).
As far as the F Type, a 2013 5 Series was traded at 29K miles. That car was completely trouble free.
Previous dealer experience
When serviced at BMW of Darien in CT, everything was covered, brake pads, tires, wiper blades. The infotainment in the BMW is LEAGUES ABOVE the Jaguar unit, although it was three years older.
Mercedes Benz always provided a loaner on the spot, even when they were repairing a ten-year-old car. They really are on point, the dealer always followed up, and the in / out time when bringing in for service can be counted in minutes.
Local Jaguar Dealer
This local dealer has to be one of their worst dealers although that would be tough to flesh out. When they serviced the XF they left the engine cover just loosely thrown on top of the engine, not pinned down. When the tires got bubbles on the side walls at 12K miles, the dealer said it’s not covered, and the Jaguar Land Rover North America call center pretty much said the same thing, and said you’re on your own. Luckily Good Year the tire manufacturer that Jaguar chose as a supplier, gave us a small credit towards the purchase of three new tires. Now we have a car with one older tire, and the same brand and model installed that previously failed because of supposed pot holes. The same roads and pot holes were driven through by me in my previous Porsche 911 with 305 cross section Pirelli tires that never had a side wall issue.
When I brought the f Type for service they said the free included oil change would not be covered this time. They wanted $190 for oil and filter (7 quarts synthetic and a filter). They said I went over 30 days past the two year mark of the cars’ in service date of June 1st 2016. So, they did the oil change last year (Jaguar Land Rover Freeport) so they knew when the year was up. The car’s computer warned me two weeks ago, and the app on my phone (Jaguar In Control) did the same. We never received any emails or calls from either the dealer or Jaguar Land Rover that the service was due. I proceeded to make the call for service and was told to come in the following week on a Tuesday morning. They also said that no loaners were available but I can wait for 1.5 hours and they would service and wash the car. When I found out about the oil change fee, I refused that service, but mentioned some trim fitting problem in the interior. After waiting in their waiting room for 1.5 hours, they said that a seat would need to come out and they will schedule me to come back a different time. But to sit tight and the service advisor would return with a date and time. Thirty minutes later he returned with a receipt for $0 that also mentioned some 27 point courtesy inspection. No mention of what that entails, and the Jaguar Call Center could not verify either. So I waited two hours there and nothing was done. Not even the follow up appointment. The SERVICE advisor said call next week to get a date to come back, and pointed to my car and said –“ exit is that way”. When I got home I noticed that one of the wipers had broken pieces of rubber hanging out of it. Apparently the 27 point inspection does not include looking at the wiper blades.
Selling at a loss
I am so angry that all financial rationale is out the window at this point. All major losses on a new car happen the first year or two, and the F Type has 11K mikes on it now. I was planning on keeping it until the warranty expires, but no way I am doing that now. Found a six month old Porsche 911 dealer demo with Certified Pre Owned. Much better dealer network and cars. They will probably kill me on this trade in, but in all honesty I can’t really blame them. A crap shoot when it comes to the quality or reliability of hat they are taking in when it comes to Jaguar

Jaguar F-Type R AWD Coupe is a gorgeous monster
By Michael

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE R 2dr Coupe AWD (5.0L 8cyl S/C 8A)

With a 550 HP supercharged V8, the F-Type AWD is an absolute beast when called upon, but still a comfortable poodler around town. Perhaps like no other car out there. From 2016 onwards, with the AWD, the R became a car anyone can drive, even on slick roads. Cruising calmly on interstates, it gets upwards of 30 mpg for hours on end. But when provoked by the gas pedal, the R becomes loud, rude, and hilariously explosive. It has been totally reliable, with nothing beyond routine servicing. I've never had another car like it. Makes me wonder what the top-dog F-Type SVR must be like....

Warning F-Type VIN SAJWA6AT1H8K38814
By Steve Miller

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

Warning for potential buyers of black 2017 F-Type VIN SAJWA6AT1H8K38814. I am the original owner of the car which was bought new in Greenville, SC. The car was bought back from me by the dealer because it has a defect that can't be fixed. In hot weather only, the dash makes a horrible creaking noise. In cool weather it is quiet. The dealer tried to fix the problem more than once, they even tried replacing the dash, finally they admitted they could not fix it. At that time, the plan was to replace the car. Long story short after six months of stall tactics and excuses, they would not replace the car without me having to spend in excess of $10,000.00. No thanks, I know better than to throw good money after bad. Since I had them dead to rights with a potential lemon law case, they agreed to buy the car back for the entire sales price.
After I signed the papers, the sales manager admitted to me that they planned to resell the car as they weren't sure it had a defect. What??? Apparently they are going to claim amnesia when they sell this lemon to an unsuspecting buyer on a cool day when the defect is not evident. Sadly a used car buyer will not have the protection of the lemon law that I had. If you are thinking of buying this car be sure to drive it on a sunny hot day after it has been sitting outside, you will change your mind. If you have bought this car, please contact me (look on Facebook Jaguar F Type fans page for my post). I have the proof you need to get your money back. This dealer is has no integrity whatsoever and Jaguar should be ashamed that they represent them!

Jaguar's Flagship F type SVR is awful
By Patrick

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE R 2dr Coupe AWD (5.0L 8cyl S/C 8A)

I bought the car new and brought it back three days later with three separate issues 1) blind spot monitor had failed 2) reverse dip mirror didn't work and 3) electric passenger window didn't work. I waited two weeks for it to be resolved and when I picked up the car, the exact same issues came back immediately. Then I discovered that the awful, clunky infotainment "apps" and system weren't only crap, they heated my iPhone up to unsustainable levels when connected to the car. That I was told was "normal operation". Then, the only voice command activated function in the car from JustDrive stopped working and I was told by the app provider that it's T-Mobile's fault, not theirs, and that I'm SOL. Just this week after 4000 miles the engine light went on and I wasted 5 hours battling though traffic to get it resolved. It's not just the sub-standard quality of the car, it's Jaguar's utter lack of interest in the experience of their customers that sucks the most.

Extremely disappoited with the vehicle
By Junk my Jag

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE S 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl S/C 6M)

I've had the car for 10 weeks and it's been in service for half that time. Yes, my new car has been at the service facility for five weeks....and counting! My problems started the first week I had the car; the engine stalled out at a red light and needed to be re-started, the trip odometer has more mileage than the overall vehicle mileage (Strange. Right?) and the vapor lock on the gas tank makes fueling an effort. Then the sbs system was faulty, as the air-bag light was continuously illuminated and the passenger seat became inoperable. Now the exhaust system does not work properly. Parts have been replaced, wiring checked and diagnosing the issues remain a mystery. The car is fun to drive, looks nice and drives well, but owning the vehicle is a hassle, an inconvenience and the worst new car experience of my life. If I could return it, I would. In fact, I want a refund and will gladly go back to my hassle-free Infiniti Q-60S or my Mercedes. Anything.