Used 2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Engine trouble, wears horribly, uncomfortable

Suzanne D, 03/25/2021
4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought 2017 Sonata brand new with less than 40 miles on it. Lost count how many times I've brought it back to the dealer for repairs. 3+ times for the engine light, jerking movements, windows wouldn't go up or down. The interior wears very easily. Mirror shades just fell out. This is a horribly and VERY VERY cheaply made car. I regret this purchase very much.

Solid 3 with cons

Wyatt, 04/28/2021
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Good leg room and good on gas, but time for the problems. I’ve had the car for about 2 months now. The air recirculating does not stay on. I have to constantly press it. Drive behind a dumpster well this car doesn’t care and will turn off recirculate so you can get a good smell of it. From what I’ve looked up it’s a standard feature that has to be turn off every time you start the car. The blind spot monitoring sometimes does not work if I’m going too slow and the touchscreen takes FOREVER to recognize my phone. Sometimes it takes 1 entire minute. My old 2011 Mazda 3 Bluetooth system wouldj find my phone amount instantly when the car started.

Looks nice, roomy, but engine trouble before 100k

S.E. , 05/03/2021
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car when I needed to add a vehicle, with more drivers in the house. My previous vehicle is still in user with over 300k miles on it. First year, I was happy with the gas mileage, comfort and feel of the car. If didn't handle as well as I I was used to with my last car in deeper snow with the low body style, and I got stuck in the driveway a few times. Sport mode is a must for snowy conditions. This past year, have had issues with engine burning oil. I noticed before the car hit 100,000 miles and contacted dealer and Hyundai. Both were relatively unhelpful. Did an oil consumption test, and although it still used around 2.5 quarts of oil during the 3,000 mile test, that was "within specifications" and they won't do anything. They would be happy to set me up for a $500 engine cleaning service but that may not change anything. Other Sonata's in different years/engine types have been part of a class action lawsuit over engine problems. Don't waste your money.