Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra Touring model:

6 years, no major problems
By Rail

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We just traded our touring after 6 years of ownership. Overall a great car. Mechanically perfect until the dealer incorrectly serviced the transmission allowing it to leave the lot with no fluid. After that it would shift poorly at times. That's not the cars fault. Otherwise it needed a new battery a couple times and that's it. Other small issues where a lift gate that would rattle at times and a brake pedal that creaked.

Still doing great after 120000
By pistolpete10

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

So far only routine maintenance, no big problems.. Still really like the way it handles and it's been very reliable. Easy to park in big cities. Dealerships seem to charge quite a bit for parts and labor so post warantee I'm going to private shops who do a fine job. Love the storage capacity and use it a lot.
Engine is noisy but gets the job done, though the mileage is mediocre, compared to "modern" cars.
Seats still are very supportive, so I'm still very happy with this puppy.

Fun to drive
By jhitchens

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an excellent choice if you are looking for a car that is fun to drive and you need that extra cargo space behind the back seat. My large dog loves the room he has there behind the back seat. When you need even more room, just fold down the back seats and WOW you have a lot more space. Driving is fun, with quick steering response and peppy little engine will get you up to hwy speed quickly. I have almost 50,000 miles on mine, and I have had no problems. I just follow the routine maintenance suggestions and that is it. I am retired, and my drive each day usually is about 3 to 12 miles with stops or lights in-between. I average 24 mpg. When I do take a trip, I get about 32-33 mpg on
Update 05/12/2016 car is still fun to drive. I have moved to Los Angeles and I also own a larger truck, gut the truck last year only got 450 miles put on it, because I love to drive the Hyundai so much. I can go to Home Depot and buy an 8 foot 2x4 and manage to put it in the car by sliding it up to the front dash board, and still close the rear hatch. The room behind the last seat is one of the largest I have seen for a small compact 4 door hatchback. In LA, i average about 15 miles an hour, (that includes some small sprints on the freeway, and i still average around 22 miles per gallon in the city. On a long, say 300 mile trip on the highway, i will average 30-32 miles per gallon. What can I say, I love it. Here it is 11/14-2016 and I still love my Hyundai Elantra Touring. Best Car I ever owned for driving in the City.

3 years later!
By n1luf

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 years of driving this car I can say it still is a joy to drive. The out side of the finish still shines. The motor is just a little loud when you give it the gas. Better yet is the mileage for me in Connecticut, 33 city...45 highway.
I found using Castrol edge or Quaker state ultimate pure synthetic oils produce better mileage. Inside of the car remain about the same. Satellite radio in car works well. All the gages have work and light up. Seats and floor still in good shape.
Overall car works well.

Satellite radio sounds great. With time you can set the radio to really rock even with low volume. All gages remain lite no lights out great! Fit and finish good.

Towing is weak. Car worked hard on trip. Car needs 10 more hp.The gas door sticks, this is because the mech. greased it. The correction is gluing in a small spring to pop the door open not a big problem. Tail lights failed and both sides replaced. AC weak...fix is adding a second fan 10 or 12 inch on front side to blow the air through condenser faster.

A very pleasant surprise
By guybrarian

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We're a small family of 3 and we decided to upgrade from a subcompact after the arrival of #3. After 1 year of research - I was looking for more space and more safety - I stumbled upon this gem. There is more than enough space for road tripping and the cabin is quiet and well designed. I enjoy not seeing the car everywhere...In the past 4 weeks I've seen only 2!

ESC, integrated ipod capability, MPG

It's not a particularly quick car, but does just fine getting up to highway speed