2018 Honda Clarity Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Honda Clarity Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Clarity model:

Not my gas guzzling suv
By Micah Ouellette

2018 Honda Clarity Touring Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven large suvs for fifteen years. We have four kids. They play sports and attend a school w a 25 min commute. Together my husband and I were spending $500 in gas per month this last school season. Over the summer, We decided to go somewhat electric. I got the clarity and he got model x Tesla. We are impressed with both cars and love not going to the pumps. The clarity car play is a great improvement over my old suv electronics. The biggest win is it can go about 50 miles on electric which is about what I drive a day w kids and errands. Yes it sits lower than a suv but I’m learning to work through. I will say that it does not have the same get up and go as the Tesla (since Tesla is all torque) but I don’t mind. I didn’t buy it to go fast through town. And with as much traffic as we have, I don’t need that function. Plus I have peace of mind to buy gas if need be or if no time for plugging in. The car rides smooth and no noise. And I can park anywhere, unlike my giant suvs where I had to have open space. If my family travels together we drive Tesla since a six seater. But rarely are we all going to same location. I have two teenagers and 8, and 10 year old. They all like the clarity and space it has. Of course they like the tech in the Tesla but that car his three times the cost as the clarity. As far as price, comfort and no pumps the clarity is a winner.

Clarity with design default.
By Leo

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I owned this car for over 3 month. Overall the performance is good with enough Torte power provided by the battery. There are some issues on this car. 1. The mileage range always give a wrong number. Full Tank, Full battery, some time will give 500 to 700 miles. Indeed, Full gas tank approx. 7 gallon & Full Battery you can only drive approx. 350 miles. 2. The air vent right by the door windows is not a good design. Whenever your AC is on, there is always air blow out from that vent, even you change the air blow position to floor only, it create the water condensation to the windows outside, and it block the view to the side mirror, even you try to roll down the window, it doesn't help. It's a safety issue for the driver, you are not able to see the side mirror clearly, especially whenever rains outside.3. Excessive road noisy from underneath whenever at 60 mph or above. And the 1.5 litter engine sometimes run loud on and off. 4.Short full tank mileage range for only 350 miles. Without plug in charging every day, you have to fuel the gas every 10 days for normal commute. 5.Does plug in really save the gas money? Not for this model, the electricity cost to full charge at home is about 3 dollars for 12 hrs with 120v charger, with Full charge you can drive approx. 45 miles. Nowadays, the average regular unlead gas is 3 dollar or less. You can do the math. The MSRP for this plug in is over 33K, maybe you qualify for 7500 fed tax rebate, it still expensive, there is a better choice. If you are not special interested in plug in model for save the green environment, 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid would be much better choice in terms choice overall in msrp price, comfort, and full tank range & MPG. 6. Honda sensing is a joke. It actually creates more dangers situation for the driver. The ACC and land keep assist, migrating land departure often time doesn't work and without warning, And some time it will break un expectly whenever you making a curve turn, and there is car pass by from other direction. If the system doesn't work perfectly, as a driver you don't want to use them and rely on them at all since it often time it will give false move.

Great car!
By Yogi

Love it so far.

honda clarity plug-in hybrid, great car
By kenL

The clarity plug in hybrid is basically an electric when driving around Tucson. We have gotten over 55 mile range on a charge, and never use gas except for longer road trips. The car has good power, stable handling, comfortable seating, and is fun to drive. It is quiet, has a good sound system, and some great safety features. When switching lanes on the highway, you don't have to crank your head around to move right. When you signal a right turn you get a complete picture on your monitor of everything on the right. Charging at home is simple. I plug in to a regular outlet at night when electricity is cheaper. I haven't had any problems in 7000 plus miles, and the quality seems very high.

My favorite car ever- like a new toy
By Big Nose Frank

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted to wait 3-4 weeks of owning this car before casting a review on it. First of all I had no intention of replacing my old car yet (a VW) but reliability issues forced me to re-examine my strategy of hanging onto a German car that was about to go off warranty and was requiring a lot of expensive trips for service. I knew my next car would be hybrid and/or electric but thought it would be 2-3 years down the road. As of two months ago I never heard of a heard of a Honda Clarity. I liked the looks of all the new Hondas and thought before trying out a Hybrid Accord I would try out the Clarity just to 'eliminate' it from my candidate list. Instantly I liked the quietness and the feel of it and the ultra modern interior. The accord was of course nice and I felt the salesman was pushing me towards the accord, and they had tons of Accords on the lot and only two Clarities. I stepped away from shopping for a bit to resolve VW engine issues and when i returned to it went straight for the Clarity, and have not regretted it once. So like other reviewers I have now had it for almost a month, and have driven it 360 mi and still have 3/4 tank of my original gas! I have run out of charge a few times and the last time I was really trying to observe what happens when you do? And I could not tell. I did go into HYBRID mode automatically but nothing other than a dashboard message would lead me to know that. Several times I have tried out SPORT mode and punch the accelerator and am quite pleased at the power it has. But typically i do not even use it around town. I a more interested in squeezing out as much of the battery charge as possible. The regenerative braking paddle shifters are very cool (had to watch a Youtube video to see what they were about). Now when i come into corners i try to use those rather that braking to regain a little juice back into the battery pack. If you have driven motorcycles or standard shift cars its very much like downshifting into corners which is more fun than braking like an old lady. With respect to the radio- I love it. It has excellent sound and CarPlay is perfect for both iPhone use and Android- which we have both of. i owned a VW 5 years and never once could get my smart phone to 'pair' and with this I synched it up at the dealer and drove home with the Smart phone maps. I play Spotify and that works well, the transition between main menu and smart phone usage is a little clunky - for example smart phone maps AND SIRIUS works but I tend to fumble around with it. In all I love the the infotainment system some complained (alot) about no volume knob- I guess I would like one but the steering wheel controls work easily. All in all I like the car a lot and am very happy I got it. I have owned many cars over 40 years and have never enjoyed one this much. I still use the 120 V charger but my garage has a 220V outlet so I just need to buy the charger but they are a bit pricey and the one (that comes with the car) has worked fine. Interior space is excellent but coming from a compact SUV that was just plain small (and stupid). I did not opt for the leather as the cloth seemed nice on the test drive and it was >$3k for the leather plus nav and few other things I did not care for- at that price. all the interior surfaces and finishes are of a nice quality, nothing downscale about any of it. They do not offer a sunroof in any models - thats a bit of a bummer but not a showstopper and my other car is a 2 seater convertible so no biggie (but it uses GAS...) So I have no idea why there are not more on the road it almost seems like Honda wants to keep it under wraps? ITs a great product- I hope its reliable, it's s my first Honda auto but have had 4 Honda motorcycles and all were excellent. The info screens/radio is so cool i hope I don't get killed playing with it instead of watching the road closer. I wish Honda had more options for cars like this- i.e. an SUV or large hatchback, though this is almost hatchback like. With the tax rebate its an amazing bargain. Couple that with a reduction in gas bills its really a no brainer. I am retired so do not commute. If you commute less that 25 miles each way this car makes perfect sense unless you hate comfort, value, and efficiency.