Used 1996 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews

$931 - $1,975

Used Sonoma for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Over life of ownership, not bad at all

Tobais, 03/01/2004
SLS Sport 2dr Club Coupe SB

I had some issues with this truck early on. Kept having wiper motor problems, had to replace whole unit for around $700. Turns out it was a recall, so I could have not spent the $$. I bought the truck with 35,000 mis on it in '98, currenlty have 96,500 in 2004 and it runs great. Change the oil every 3000 or so, had a tune up at 85,000 and so far, the only major repair was the wipers! So long term, it has been a good, relabile little truck. Cannot complain at all. Only thing I notice is in very cold winter weather the door locks tend to freeze up, so I have to leave it unlocked then..

Great Truck

I love this truck, 03/10/2005
SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I cant say anything bad about this truck. I have owned this GMC for 4 years and now I have over 193,000 miles and still going strong. The 4 wheel drive works perfectly and other than standard maintenance, and the replacement of the wiper motor I havent had any problems. I have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. I would trust this truck to go from Ohio to California and back without any hesitation. I will definitely be purchasing another GMC truck in the future. I still get about 19 to 21 miles to a gallon on the highway with this truck.

The little truck that could

Charlie, 09/12/2015
SLE 2dr Club Coupe Stepside SB

I love my little truck. I have the 2.2 with a standard transmission. It's great on gas but does lack power especially up hill. I have had no major problems you wouldn't expect for a vehicle with 206,000+ miles. Replaced the starter clutch and a u joint. It has a minor oil leak from the head gasket, and a little leak from the thermostat housing. The rear wheel drive does make it a little difficult in adverse weather with no weight over the drive wheels. The front end components are tight though, and it grips the road and handles like a car on a dry day.

Good rules over bad

Chip Rheames, 04/06/2019
SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB (2.2L 4cyl naturally aspired 5M)

Overall the truck is very reliable, i cruise between Georgia and New Hampshire it's not as powerfull and fast as my car and i do miss that when i need to accelerate. It's a 5 speed 2.2 that once it pass 75 mph it accepts the fuel better. I burn premium fuel, full synthetic oil, top quality wires and plugs and stay on top of the issues, it's a 1996 just turned 199,464 miles there is a tapping (lifter i think) and it just starter sputtering that clears up (hhhhmmmm) just return home (Ga) from Baltimore and nothing adjusted the oil level. Here in Georgia we can not talk or even have our cell phone in hands, so last years i removed that factory system and installed a Pioneer remote control blue tooth usb and more system that thumps and i also added Limo tint that's all after all these years now time to resolve the sputtering and that lifter. PS my last visit for repairs there was 1 plug (3) burning unclean. ( I recently started driving the truck more regular)

Put the vehicle down and back away

buy japanese, 03/16/2003
SLS Sport 2dr Club Coupe SB

Wow, Where do I start. I purchased this truck new with only 8 miles on it. I have had nothing but problems. I will just make a list. 2 Head gaskets replaced and now this one is leaking. 12,000m 38,000m. three wiper motors replaced 28,000m. one starter replaced 25,000m. Two clutches and all related parts, throwout, slave,etc. 40,000m 75,000. three sets of universal joints 50,000 80,000 102,000m. Fuel pump went out 80,000m. Had to go back to dealer to have several squeaks/rattles fixed. Lumbar adjustment broke second time I used it. Drivers side mirror broke. Cupholder came apart. Both door speakers quit working.