Used 2006 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

Don't BUY
By macattack

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle will abruptly go from 70 mph to 30's (semi-trailer closing in fast) and I can't do a thing about it!! SERVICE STABILITRACK has been a thorn while under warranty and persists to be a problem now that it is out of warranty! From early on, <10,000 miles and OVER 10 times since, this vehicle had been in to two different dealers and the problem, though intermittent, still exists and is a HUGE danger to me and my kids but I can't just go buy another car or trade this is like some people (including the car dealership managers) portray is the best option when I should be able to get GM to fix the car or replace it when they can't seem to figure out why the problem persists. But that hasn't been the only problem:Gear band broke twice on the transmission, had to have Transmission rebuilt because of faulty radiator, and other issues however none of the problems remotely compare to having taken it in for service because of the repeated unexplained de-acceleration and loss of ability to make the car do anything except pull to the side of the road and give it ten minutes to stop having a "tantrum" of sorts while traffic whizzes by and thankfully didn't hit us (YET). Exterior / Aesthetics, I love this vehicle but poor function and even worse service of problems. I've reported it to corporate but they don't care and despite it having had been into the dealership numerous times prior to end of warranty, now they just want me to start paying them for all these fixes that haven't fixed anything.

Used Envoy XL Denali
By gm_dave

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased ours 3 years ago so it was 4 years old when we got it.
It was GM certified and one owner with about 45,000 miles.
We've put on about 40,000 miles.
it has been mostly trouble free except for the rear air suspension failed early on.
This was covered under the GM Certified warranty so that was a relief.

Performance and power is decent with the standard 5.3L V-8.
One other problem was excess oil consumption, which was due to a faulty valve cover design.
This was replaced at our expense by the local GM dealer.

Options and space with seating for 7. V-8 power is great for a vehicle this size and weight.

No improvement suggestions as the Envoy has been discontinued. unfortunately, the mid-size full frame truck based SUV segment has been eliminated by GM in favor of the car based "cross overs" like the Acadia.

How sad :(
By lemonsuv

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I cringe when I learn friends have purchased a used GMC Envoy.
I feel like I should just 'scream' to let them know how much money they will be spending for stupidness.

The first brand new vechile I ever purchased.
I can't begin to tell you the amount of money I have spent on it.
A lemon it is.
Stupid things go wrong that should not go wrong.
Stablity track 6 times needs to be fixed.
Window motor...3x's
Now the ignition switch went...my fuse box gets so hot my kid in the back can smell it. Light bulbs blow every 2 months.
Oil gauge went, fuel gauge went.
All and all, I spent over 6,000 in repairs since I bought it.

Does GMC care?
I highly doubt it.
Would I purchse another...NOPE!

Love the handling, love the comfort, love the vechile. Only has 76,000 miles on it.

Have GMC own up to their mistake. Either replace the electrical in the vechile or contact the orginal owners and MAKE IT RIGHT. No one should be dealing with this amount of repairs on a $50.000 vechile. I can put up with the crappy gas mileage, I can NOT put up with the fact ownership is not taken for faulty items that people are having. Recall...yeah, okay...got my letter in the fall...still have yet to have it fixed. Still waiting for the part? Whatever. I only hope that a person or family in not in that vechile when the electrical goes on the highway.

Best SUV I have ever owned
By envoyshow

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 5th SUV and by far this one has been the best. I have owned a few Jeeps, a Pacifica, and most recently an Acura MDX and this one by far has been the best one. The ride has been much better than all of them, the interior design has been the best as well. It is bigger than all of them but not too big. Lot's of cargo space when 3rd row is up. Mecahnically the MDX was by far the worst with the 4X4 going out and the transmission. The Envoy mechanically has been great. The only issue we have had with it is one of the power windows but that was covered by the extended warranty we bought from National Vehicle Headquarters. We think we will keep this to 150,000 miles at least!!!!!

The interior design, DVD system for the kids, the curb view mirrors living in the city is a huge bonus. the leg room for the thrid row of seats, the cargo capacity when the third row of seats is up.

Better gas mileage would be great, but with a V8 of this size what can you expect. We have been averaging close to the same as our MDX so we are still pleased.

Bordering on Lemon
By Kjeter

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Within two weeks of buying, the vehicle was backfiring on engine start up. Electronic control module had to be replaced. At same time, engine was producing blue smoke on start up...entire engine had to be replaced. Since then, load balancers went out of whack and had to be fixed, ECM had to be replaced again, Heat and cooling module had to be replaced, signal light indicator in display panel has failed, rear hatch lock assembly had to be repaired, and now I'm dealing with engine ticking and loss of power that service bulletin is attributing to a lifter problem. Seems like this latter problem should be a GMC recall vice just service bulletin notice.

Recall the vehicles and get these more than isolated problems corrected at gm expense. Might prevent folks like me from thinking "let's go foreign made again. Have demonstrated to be more reliable."